Is this the beginning of the end for the cape .

LurchWA

I was sent a link today that said the tip is open for the 2021 season thanks to the provision of toilets at the tip and an impost of $10 per vehicle to enter Pajinka.
I dont mind paying the fee to be honest, if thats what it costs then thats it!

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
My recollection of the ferry fee cost being so high was that it included the fees for being above the Jardine, now you add the cost of Pajinka, then what costs are going to be added to this or other areas identified as being of commercial value to simply visit.

Pajinka used to be a 5 star resort but as it was said to me when I was up there, Qantas offered to buy it and get the place back up to scratch at significant cost but the locals wanted the bulk of the ROI fed back to them and not the investor.

hiluxdriver

I'm going to bet my left nut that the resort is not taking guests 5 years from now. If it was profitable for them to have it operational, it would already be open.

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
I'm going to bet my left nut that the resort is not taking guests 5 years from now. If it was profitable for them to have it operational, it would already be open.
I think I may not have worded that correctly, Qantas were offering to take it over but it wasn't financially viable given that, as I understand / was told, the TO's wanted something like 60% of the takings, making it not commercially viable and voiding all chances of employment in the resort, so it was left to rot and now the situation is what it is.

CTL

The “resort” was originally called the Cape York Wilderness Lodge opened in 1986 by Bush Pilot Airways. The resort cost approx. $1.2 million to build. The five-star resort was generally a fly-in fly-out luxury stay. Guests were met at the airport, then transported to the resort by road. A bird watching tower perched high in the rainforest was just one of the many activities on offer to guests. To get to get to the Tip, via Frangipani Bay, a boardwalk was constructed to make the wander a little easier.
Ownership changed to TAA then Ansett and then later to Qantas Airlines, who actually owned it at the time it was sold to the Injinoo Aboriginal Cooperation in 1992. The resort was by this stage renamed as the Pajinka Wilderness Lodge. It closed in 2002 for renovations following a generator fire that amongst the obvious, meant water could no longer be pumped to the site. The resort never reopened.
Edit. My memory is a bit hazy but I think it was owned by P&O at some stage too.

Last edited:

paulblah

I have a less popular opinion.
Having travelled through the cape for work more than leisure i think the communities, councils and sadly the elders in some cases need to take a good hard look at themselves before putting it all on the "tourists".
I have a hunch it will turn into another Mossman gorge where it will be closed and you can only go in by spending money at the tourist center and being guided by a local.
I remember camping at a beautiful clear creek, a couple of indigenous families came down, the kids harassed us for money and tossed lollie wrappers everywhere and the adults sank a carton of rum and left it for us to clean up. Saw similar things on several occasions.

• Sad
Reactions: CTL

CTL

I remember camping at a beautiful clear creek, a couple of indigenous families came down, the kids harassed us for money and tossed lollie wrappers everywhere and the adults sank a carton of rum and left it for us to clean up. Saw similar things on several occasions.
I remember camping at a beautiful untouched beach and a group of bogans rocked up in their 4WDs, music blaring, drinking rum and cokes like no tomorrow, some drinking glass stubbies of beer, several smoking and throwing ciggie butts everywhere, the drunker they got, they more they shouted, swearing was unbelievable with kids around, started a camp fire (when none were permitted), threw their empties in the fire, generally made it unbearable for everybody else there enjoying the sand and the beach, drove off down the beach full of piss and left the camp fire smouldering with bottles and cans in it, everyone of them was white, saw similar on several occasions.

Toddyh

How much does it cost to get their though? Insignificant in comparison?
By that point you have already paid $100 for a 15 second ferry ride lol so it is cheap really lol

That is exactly the attitude the TOs are relying on. Apathy. The TOs have a non-exclusive occupancy permit. That's it. No management or ownership of the land. The land is still managed by the local council.
What's happening is the equivalent of a bunch of tenants in state provided housing getting together and demanding the local council charge an access fee for outsiders to visit their area.

Rusty Panels

I reckon the ferry across the Jardine is way cheaper than the tyre damage caused by the crocs trying to eat you.

The Pajinka lodge was owned and operated by Ansett Airlines when I visited the tip. It was a very nice place back then. I believe the local community had it handed over to them and they operated it for a while. Pity to see it has been left to rot.

callmejoe

@CTL
I think your missing the Mark in this discussion, its about closing the tip, also a Australia icon due to reason of rubbish, lack of respect and felicities. From the reports made it been plainly put on the "tourist" or out side bogan factor. Others are putting in valid points that some that are pointing the finger might just also be contributing to the degradation of the Cape.
We all know its happening everywhere, but face facts there are issues, and this issue is about the Tip.
So move on

Joe

John U

What's happening is the equivalent of a bunch of tenants in state provided housing getting together and demanding the local council charge an access fee for outsiders to visit their area.
My understanding is the land is theirs, so it isn't like a bunch of tenants charging outsiders to visit their area. A more correct description would be like a home owner charging tourists to tour their house. If tourists turned up at my front door for a tour of my house I'd tell them 'No thanks' in not so polite terms.

Is the tip that special in it's own right? I'm keen to go to the cape for the isolation and wilderness, but not necessarily the tip. I'm guessing I've got plenty of options to visit locations where the land meets the water all around the cape without actually visiting the tip. Guessing also, the other location are likely to be less crowded and as a result more pleasant to be at. Is the tip only an icon because of a compass bearing?

CTL

@CTL
I think your missing the Mark in this discussion, its about closing the tip, also a Australia icon due to reason of rubbish, lack of respect and felicities. From the reports made it been plainly put on the "tourist" or out side bogan factor. Others are putting in valid points that some that are pointing the finger might just also be contributing to the degradation of the Cape.
We all know its happening everywhere, but face facts there are issues, and this issue is about the Tip.
So move on

Joe
Hey Joe, don’t tell me to move on and I am not missing any point. I have the right to an opinion just like everybody else. If my alternative opinion doesn’t agree with your opinion, that is fine, I respect that, how about you respect mine?

callmejoe

Hey Joe, don’t tell me to move on and I am not missing any point. I have the right to an opinion just like everybody else. If my alternative opinion doesn’t agree with your opinion, that is fine, I respect that, how about you respect mine?

I didn't say move on at all, and respect you, how have I disrespect you?