Is this the beginning of the end for the cape .

Bigfish1

Fair enough. The old telegraph track is absolutely littered with shite paper in many places. Hanging crap on trees isnt very intelligent either. Burnt out campfires littered with cans, old tents, chairs and rubbish are common. Would you want these pigs in your back yard? Things are only going to get worse....more 4wd warriors will be heading up there. Main road is also treated as a racetrack by many. Locals in the towns are also pissed off with the visiting rednecks who have all the gear but no idea.

Rusty Panels

There will always be a certain number of yobbo morons who spoil things for the majority. We did the Cape in 1987 and even then there were those who didn't care about leaving a mark as to where they'd been. Some of the great spots had you scratching your head wondering why people couldn't walk a hundred metres into the bush before crapping, and why they were too lazy or stupid to dig a hole to use for their toilet, instead they dropped it on the ground and put a half shovel of dirt on top leaving a trail of toilet paper all the way back to the camp.
I think though that times have changed. There were not many 4x4 makers around in years gone by, there was Land Rover, Toyota and Nissan and maybe a couple more. Now almost every manufacturer has a 4x4 in the marketplace and they are the bread and butter for the car industry. Because they were not as comfortable, low performers and generally more expensive to own they weren't as popular.
These days they are the most common vehicle type on the road. Every man and his dog wants one and wants to do the Leyland Brother trips to the back of beyond.
Like I said, the yobbos have always existed, it's just that with the increase in the number of visitors to these areas it has become more noticeable.

discomatt

Its not sad that the traditional owners want to shut off the best bits , its sad that so many Aussies are morons.
With any luck the land owners will shut it to the general public but grant access with a paid permit system, give them an decent income to try and close the gap of inequality

muffin man

Sadly there are slobs of all kinds...in the bush, in the cities and so on.
All colours, all races, all genders etc.
I'd have no problem with gates and permits to fund someone with authority to enforce the rules.

boobook

Charge $1000 deposit, half of which is refundable when you return on any track in the '4wd Action top 10' I say.

The ones on that list I have done are overcrowded, filled with litter and too busy.

The rule of thumb is if there are lots of GQ Patrols with stainless steel rear facing snorkels, then you are in the wrong place. ..Just Kidding - well almost.

Last edited:

mikehzz

I've been most places but never really wanted to go there. This just confirms my take it or leave it attitude to the Cape. I have often wondered why I don't want to go there as a priority destination because every one else seems to have it near top of the list.

boobook

so only people with money can go. how does that fix anything ?
start policing it and start fining the one's causing all the crap, stop blanket banning, because its cheaper.
stop the tourists and all business up there will suffer.

Cut the Cape off just north of the bauxite mine, and tip it into the ocean as a barrier for the drug lords and people smugglers. IMHO.

Then it would be useful.

Can you tell how much I enjoyed my Cape trip?

Colly18

so only people with money can go. how does that fix anything ?
start policing it and start fining the one's causing all the crap, stop blanket banning, because its cheaper.
stop the tourists and all business up there will suffer.
Let me suggest this (it's the way in much of the 'tourism world').
There are too many people (too many tourists) in the self drive market 'imposing' themselves on the environment and probably on local community lifestyles(?). To address issues of degradation to the environment, minimise negative impacts on local communities, yet still support local business = move the tourism market from the lower yielding (less spend/profit per customer) self-drive market, to a higher yielding market (offer a niche product/tourism experience to customers willing to pay a high price for it, e.g. game fishing charter, helicopter flights, fully catered guided tours, etc.) Sure, some local businesses will suffer as a result. Yet others will thrive and new ones become established to benefit from higher yield markets. You have to control the number of sheep (people) in the paddock! It's the way of the world as far as I can see.

typhoeus

Fair enough. The old telegraph track is absolutely littered with shite paper in many places. Hanging crap on trees isnt very intelligent either. Burnt out campfires littered with cans, old tents, chairs and rubbish are common. Would you want these pigs in your back yard? Things are only going to get worse....more 4wd warriors will be heading up there. Main road is also treated as a racetrack by many. Locals in the towns are also pissed off with the visiting rednecks who have all the gear but no idea.
"I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. . . ".
Prophetic words,

boobook

Have you only been once and was it in peak time ? I like it better each time I go but I go during the fringe season

You are spot on Alby. The other issues for me were
We only allowed 3 weeks Cairns to Cairns, not enough.
People stole our pre booked camp sites. Grrr
The drive from Melbourne and return was too much given the time.
The litter was unbelievable - it was everywhere.
Too many people and speeding 4wds with dangerous driving.

It's felt like the Disneyland of camping. It put me off camping for a long time. I think I still have the scars LOL.

Having said that there were some nice, more isolated and relaxing side trips to Captain Billy Landing, near Cape Waymouth and MungKan Kandju National Park.

Colly18

"I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. . . ".
Prophetic words,
Words well put in The Matrix and much quoted since. But I'm sure many of us realised this decades ago. Thanks for the conversation as it has reminded me that I (me personally) should become more political on stopping population growth/sustainable population issues.

Rusty Panels

You are spot on Alby. The other issues for me were
We only allowed 3 weeks Cairns to Cairns, not enough.
People stole our pre booked camp sites. Grrr
The drive from Melbourne and return was too much given the time.
The litter was unbelievable - it was everywhere.
Too many people and speeding 4wds with dangerous driving.

It's felt like the Disneyland of camping. It put me off camping for a long time. I think I still have the scars LOL.

Having said that there were some nice, more isolated and relaxing side trips to Captain Billy Landing, near Cape Waymouth and MungKan Kandju National Park.
We spotted a croc at Captain Billy's that was bigger than anything you have ever seen on the telly or the movies. This is before it became National Park and there was a large aluminium shed built by people from Weipa who used to holiday there. They also put in a concrete boat ramp. Visitors had written on the walls inside about the crocs and wild pigs that frequented the area and some mentioned how they had lost pet dogs from crocs and had pigs running through their camps at night.

Captain Billy's Shed.png

Captain Billy's Landing Cape York.png

Captain Billy's Landing Yards.png

Looking North toward Captain Billy's Low Tide.png

These were in 1987. The one below is fairly recent.

Captain Billys Landing a.jpg