Is this kind of beach driving OK?

silkwood

Many young guys have to get this sort of stuff out of their system....it's genetic. Better there than somewhere they can hurt an innocent bystander. The ocean will clean up the mess.
I would have (mostly) agreed, but in the age of social media I am uncomfortable with the messages this sends out. Someone watching this - even if it was on private property - is likely to be the idiot who tries it in a national park. I would also suggest much (not all) of the culture around "guys getting this stuff out of their system" is down to the types of messages we give out to them (raises umbrella and awaits bombardment from Peterson fans).

Then, of course, there is the issue of who pays for and cleans up the mess when things go wrong. Trouble is, I doubt there are many of us who haven't put ourselves at similar risk at some time in our past. The answer?

Cheers,

Mark

Toddyh

...... in the age of social media I am uncomfortable with the messages this sends out........
That's exactly the problem. Anything posted on social media is taken to encourage others to do the same, which is obviously a bad look. If this is done and not filmed then no one is even talking about it (until it goes wrong obviously).

I'm torn between not wanting to be a hypocrite (I'm sure it's not just me that did silly stuff when I was younger) and hating the message that a video like this sends about 4wders.

Albynsw

Environmentally there is no impact but the potential social media repercussions can cut a lot deeper as it makes good fodder for the environmental activists
I don’t really have an issue with him doing it as he will only hurt himself or more likely his vehicle but it shouldn’t get posted on social media

Barra GU

As far as environmental damage the tide will sort it.

As for his driving i think he has chosen a good safe spot but there will always be people who still think this is not acceptable behaviour.

Id love to do something like that in my car but dont wanna end uo on its lid.

Also if i did it i wouldnt be promoting it on social media for people to base firm opinions of me and my driving...

As far as environmental damage the tide will sort it.

As for his driving i think he has chosen a good safe spot but there will always be people who still think this is not acceptable behaviour.

Id love to do something like that in my car but dont wanna end uo on its lid.

Also if i did it i wouldnt be promoting it on social media for people to base firm opinions of me and my driving...
Yeah I tend to agree with you mate, let's hope he doesn't carry this behaviour into camp grounds etc...

Last edited:

mikehzz

Drifting in a paddock or on sand was part of my unofficial driving education as a young bloke and has saved my arse a few times. I doubt you'll stop this from happening, boys will be boys. There was no social media when I did it, no fast and furious franchise. When there were no cars young guys were hooning on horses.
Like I said, if it's done in a safe place it's passable in my opinion. If you showed me the same video in a national park, then no, he'd be wrecking the joint.

shanegtr

Environmental I cant see to much issue as the high tide will sort it out, would anyone complain about a buggy driving in a similar fashion in a designated "off road vehicle" area? I think that driving like that on sand is a good way to put your car on its lid

Albynsw

And who says that he doesn't drive like that in a river bed, a grass flat in a valley or a muddy track somewhere. My guess is, he is a wanker and would do it anywhere. Pity he didn't end up on his lid. But doubt it would stop him doing it again.
You don’t know that, he might be very responsible and just letting loose knowing no damage is done?
You can only judge him on what is seen