Change background image

Is Memory Map Dead?

Discussion in 'GPS Talk' started by Jal, Oct 9, 2018.

1. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

explorer should work offline if you pre-download the maps - i do it heaps

2. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Same here
    Tink

3. Rhett HS

Rhett HS Active Member

4. mauriceb

mauriceb Well-Known Member

Personally after having Hema Explorer since it was first released and then purchasing Hema 4wd a few weeks ago the Explorer maps a no match except the one's listed in the screen shot above in previous post, which a also included in 4WD app . Your have to rely on the map tile 'Hema Explorer' and 250 k topo to cover the rest of oz .You can view google images/Maps /Street with Explorer but can't cache the Sat images anymore . Here's one of many example's of map detail .If you download the entire maps for Explorer i don't think there is any gains in using the download tile button as you already have them . explorer.jpg IMG_20181120_222712.jpg

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  5. Rhett HS

Rhett HS Active Member

As my hema explorer app currently stands, it worked without reception in the high country, but nowhere else that i have been since having it, including mainly chunks of SA and VIC, such as otways and rural SA.

6. mauriceb

mauriceb Well-Known Member

In more maps /Hema map layers are all maps showing here ATTACH=full]57734[/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

7. Jal

Jal New Member

I purchased HE and the Pro subscription and have used it on- and off-line in Victoria. I think it works great. Without the Pro subscription it is pretty basic because even the standard Hema Explorer map that covers all of the country can only be accessed at relatively large scale ("small zoom level" in HE parlance), both on- and off-line. If you want more detail than any typical paper map can give you, get the Pro subscription. The level of detail of the maps you can then get in Victoria is phenomenal, and in Tasmania plain ridiculous. There is a simple reason why you cannot store in your mobile device all the maps available at the maximum "zoom level" available: no device on earth has enough storage capacity. I think most of the problems people report on this app is that they have not read the instructions.
    Here is the link to the guide:
    http://help.hema-labs.com/HemaExplorerAusiOSv3_UG/#t=iOS/overview.htm

It is unlikely you will not find a solution to a perceived problem here:
    http://kb.hemamaps.com/category/9/0/10/

Cheers,

Jose

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  8. Rhett HS

Rhett HS Active Member

Screenshot_20181124-134841.png
    It seems i have those. I think thats why it worked well offline in the vic high country.

9. Rhett HS

Rhett HS Active Member

Thanks. I just learnt about the bar at the bottom of the screen. Always wanted an altimeter.

So, if all the maps cant be stored on the device, what advantage is there to the Pro subscription? I dont seem to be able to get the 'Here' maps, does it have anything to do with those?

I see now that the basic explorer app has the ability to pre-dowload a section of ones choice, wish i had learnt that a long time ago. That might solve the issue.

10. Jal

Jal New Member

Hi Rhett,
    Another useful way of choosing which maps to download is to draw a route you want to go through; there is an option to download the maps you need for that route.

What you get with Pro: http://help.hema-labs.com/HemaExplorerAusiOSv3_UG/#t=common/subscription.htm

The list in the link is actually incomplete. You also get the Topo maps which are extremely detailed, specially for Tasmania. You also get the HERE maps.
    The ability to use the Hema Explorer map at zoom levels 13-16 is in itself a big advantage. Level 16 (Pro) is 20 times more detailed than level 12 (Standard). check:
    http://help.hema-labs.com/HemaExplorerAusiOSv3_UG/#t=common/Maps/Maps-General.htm

11. Rhett HS

Rhett HS Active Member

Thanks.

It sounds like just another cost in life, but $60/yr is equivalent in price to buying maybe four or five(?) paper maps, and you are getting so much more mapping and convenience with the app.

I think i will do it before my next big trip.

My last trip was plagued by inadequate information, i would pay a lot more than $60 to rewind time and do it all so much better and easier.

12. Jal

Jal New Member

Yep, hindsight is so underrated ;)

13. Jal

Jal New Member

Oh, to be clear, the cost of the subscription is $60 per year. So the cost over, say, 10 years is a lot more than the cost of paper maps, but I still find it worth it. Moreover, I would not rely on any electronic mapping system only, so you are always going to need some of those paper maps...

14. Rhett HS

Rhett HS Active Member

Yeah.

On my last trip we couldnt find a decent map from information sources nearby.

On the vic high country trip i did earlier this year, i bought four or so maps in one go, then found that my hema app worked, and hardly used the paper maps. So to have equivalent paper mapping can easily cost me $60/yr. I figure there are always other phones in the group so if my phone died i dont think we would perish through lack of paper maps, although for some areas it would pay to have more backup.