Is it legal to remove 2nd row seats from 70 series wagon?

Leggator

I never use 2nd row seats in my 76 series and I started thinking about permanently removing them and installing something like Black Widow's forward twin floor:
Forward Twin Floor - Black Widow

I tried to contact RTA some time ago, asking questions regarding the legality of this setup. They couldn't answer this question directly. The best response I received was something like this: "If removing seats changes your vehicle's ADR category, then you can't".

Can anybody clarify this please? Where can I find out? If it's not legal, can engineer's certificate make it legal?

Any help is appreciated.

oncedisturbed

I have a 7 seater GU patrol with the back row seats removed for drawes etc but have kept the seats and kept rego as a 7 seater otherwise it has to be "checked" and re-rego as a 5 seater.

Plus the option to revert back if needs be

Tap, Tap Taparoo

BEK

4x4 Earth Contributer
I would call Black Widow and ask them the question.

If they make the product they will have to understand the ADRs and the affect upon each vehicle

PJR NSW

Banned
The third row was removed for the drawers and when recently talking to the ACT RTA I was told that if I removed the 2nd and 3rd row leaving only the front row, then it should be registered as a "goods carrying vehicle".

So for the ACT the answer to your question is "Yes". And then you must register it as a goods carrying vehicle.

Phil

03hilux

In NSW, if you remove a row of seats, you must have the vehicle "blue slipped" for a records adjustment. So if you current compliance plate reads "7seater", the records have to be adjusted to say 5 seater. If you put the seats back into the car, then you must, agin, have a record adjustment blueslip done.
You will have to pay for each blue slip, and also pay the RMS (RTA) a fee.

If you ever get pulled over by a "by the book" copper, he will defect your car if it doesnt match the records.

Leggator

Great, thanx Hilux!

If you ever get pulled over by a "by the book" copper, he will defect your car if it doesnt match the records.

I'm fine with paying all required fees.
So are you saying that after all records are adjusted, no copper can defect me for having 2 seats instead of 5?
(My truck is a 5 seater now, I want to only leave driver's and front passenger's seats).

Best Regards,
Leggator.

03hilux

Great, thanx Hilux!

I'm fine with paying all required fees.
So are you saying that after all records are adjusted, no copper can defect me for having 2 seats instead of 5?
(My truck is a 5 seater now, I want to only leave driver's and front passenger's seats).

Best Regards,
Leggator.

That im not sure about. I know they are the rules when removing the 3rd row. You would be best going into the RTA and asking.
I cant see a problem as the troopies were sold as a 2 seat option from memory.

ULost2

so how about a twin cab with the back seat removed?

this legal stuff about removing seats has taken me by surprise. I have been thinking about removing the back seat in the Kia as its folded up all the time.

PJR NSW

Banned
so how about a twin cab with the back seat removed?

this legal stuff about removing seats has taken me by surprise. I have been thinking about removing the back seat in the Kia as its folded up all the time.

For the official answer call your local RTA or whomever. At a guess I would say that the car would be illegal. That's in the ACT. Only costs a call. It would be handy to have the rego of a similar car thats on sale (carsales.com.au), so if they ask you for the number to check the weights etc you can say that you are thinking of buying car xxxxxx.

I wasn't smart enough so there may be a note on their system about mine having less than the required seats. Just being cautious.

Phil