Is it just my thoughts, or are 4wders their own worst enemies?

allanmac

4x4 Earth Contributer
Not sure about others from this forum, but how many of you visit other 4wd forums & just shake your heads in disbelief?...:mad:

Is it just me, or has the 4wd fraternity totally changed & taken a turn for the worse.?...:confused:

Seems to me, that these days to be a 'real 4wder' you have to fit into the following criteria;

1. Have no regard for others who share the 4wd tracks, so drive as fast as you can for
starters & dont even consider that someone might be coming the other way.
2. Set up camp somewhere & keep all & sundry awake all night with loud music etc.
3. Think that doing donuts around camping grounds is all part of 4wding & driving closed
tracks is 'cool'.
4. Drive in '2wd' for as long as you can to try to proove that your vehicle is better.
5. Think that getting damage to your vehicle by trying to driving a track/section that is
impossible means you are a 'legend'.
6. Last but not least; blame the greenies/govt for tracks getting closed or police for
putting off the many unroadworthy 4wds that are on our roads. In other words, take
no responsibility for their own actions & blame everyone else.

Point i'm trying to make is that as a reasonably new member here, havent really seen that mentality on this forum...yet. Must admit, that the popularity of this site has increased drematically over the last few months & I hope this site doesnt go the way of many other 4wd forums....:(

Or am I being a little too padantic; unfortunately I dont think so. Until many of us are prepared to bite the bullet & report the morons who continue to wreck our favourite recreation, we will have nowhere to drive in the not too distant future. Probably the wrong forum to use to vent my anger, but lets not let the moderaters fall into the same trap that other forums have fallen into.

Cheers
allanmac

Last edited:

WILDTI

4x4 Earth Contributer
I totally agree with you there but we have great moderators & admin here & I can't see earth going that way.

HOGO80

My involvement with 4wder's and the 4wd community is purely through 4x4 Earth and i have thoroughly enjoyed it, no ego's....well thats not completely true but sometimes there is some small competition, no peer pressure, all friendly advice.
Its a shame that there are idiots out there like that allanmac, and its up to the rest of us to make up for those who let us down.
Thumbs up to all the moderators and senior members who keep this forum mature and helpful!

Bainsy

i totally agree, but i must admit im in 2wd most of the time. no point binding up the front drive train components for no reason. as soon as there is a chance of slippage i move the stick back and engage 4wd. 1 thing i see alot is people in modified 4bies (usually P platers) cruising the main streets, revving the hell out of their engines. tail gating cars, jumping gutters and so on :confused: what a waste of 35" muddies and front diff... its a shame they dont use them for what they are built for. mines a bit modified so ofcourse i get dirty looks :mad:

and when we go camping we do play up a bit IF THERE IS NO ONE ELSE AROUND! i have alot of respect for other fellow campers and 4 wheel drivers. so if there is a few close by we keep it down. we dont do donuts (because its boaring) and dont leave rubbish from bumhole to breakfast.

I often take the more challenging tracks and i have broken a lot of stuff trying the imposable. its all a part of the challenge. i am not proud of breaking things (because i cant really afford to) im not trying to be a ledgend, just trying to have fun.

but now days im just glad to be driving up in the best countryside in the world!

Last edited:

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
i totally agree, but i must admit im in 2wd most of the time. no point binding up the front drive train components for no reason. as soon as there is a chance of slippage i move the stick back and engage 4wd. 1 thing i see alot is people in modified 4bies (usually P platers) cruising the main streets, revving the hell out of their engines. tail gating cars, jumping gutters and so on :confused: what a waste of 35" muddies and front diff... its a shame they dont use them for what they are built for. mines a bit modified so ofcourse i get dirty looks :mad:

and when we go camping we do play up a bit IF THERE IS NO ONE ELSE AROUND! i have alot of respect for other fellow campers and 4 wheel drivers. so if there is a few close by we keep it down.

Every one plays up a "bit"!

Not me though!!:rolleyes:

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
I totally agree with you there but we have great moderators & admin here & I can't see earth going that way.

Ya crawler!!:rolleyes: They're a bunch of softies!

Everyone knows Challenge Lee is "THE" enforcer!!:rolleyes:

TroopiePete

Play up - never!
Problem is that too many people are getting into the sport, with numbers the rouge element will always come out of the dust!

But if you want to go on about loud music!
In Jan on Fraser we had some backpackers camping next to us - this was not so bad, got a few clips behind the ears from the wife for perving:p
But later on a group of young guys pulled up in a tray back with a mobile disco including strobe lights on the back tray - at about 10 or 11pm I braved it and went over and politely asked them to move on, one drunk guy wanted to punch my lights out but another guy held him back and apologised for the noise, asked if I had kids at the camp - I extended the truth a little and said yes - and they moved! - next night they set up further down the beach.
So I guess - sometimes while these people like the loud noise and stupid activities if someone was to speak up and ask them to stop - sometimes they may just wake up and do it!

Bainsy

Play up - never!
Problem is that too many people are getting into the sport, with numbers the rouge element will always come out of the dust!

But if you want to go on about loud music!
In Jan on Fraser we had some backpackers camping next to us - this was not so bad, got a few clips behind the ears from the wife for perving:p
But later on a group of young guys pulled up in a tray back with a mobile disco including strobe lights on the back tray - at about 10 or 11pm I braved it and went over and politely asked them to move on, one drunk guy wanted to punch my lights out but another guy held him back and apologised for the noise, asked if I had kids at the camp - I extended the truth a little and said yes - and they moved! - next night they set up further down the beach.
So I guess - sometimes while these people like the loud noise and stupid activities if someone was to speak up and ask them to stop - sometimes they may just wake up and do it!

I wonder if they have heard of nightclubs :confused:

goldrush

There are a lot of tools out there who ruin everything for the rest of us but on this forum we try to encourage a better class of 4x4'er. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that we seem to be a bit more mature on here. A lot of our members are past the "Boy Racer" stage of life. A lot of our members have kids and have to think about their family's safety when out wheeling. I really like the fact that we don't have the "Hoon" element on this site and hope that we never have to deal with that crap on here.

Big Rig

4x4 Earth Contributer
Too true, i have gotta say I don't often see those type any more. It does get prolific at LCMP at Mud Bulls but all in all the places I go everyone are generally well behaved....

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
Good!! Got a new tyre too! Ready for some action this weekend!

You taking yours out of the garage??