Iphone App MUD MAPS

oncedisturbed

Yup, have that and the VMS app. Both work a treat and so far have the best level detail and zoom out of the digital gps maps available.

VMS is the better option in my opinion as you get all the maps bundled together in the purchase and no ongoing subscription where as mudmap now does this. Also VMS is iphone/ipad compatible where as mudmap is basically iphone/ipod only.

Both can run tracklogs and import them via their website and do the same as most other gps units.

MavRok

Hi guys & gals, I'm new to 4wd'ing and want to have a crack at a couple of tracks near my place. I've got an iPhone as my gps. Will the cheap version of Mudmap or Memory map allow me to view the 4x4 earth GPS files?
And also, when viewing the track on the phone will it show where I am like a navman?

Hi guys & gals, I'm new to 4wd'ing and want to have a crack at a couple of tracks near my place. I've got an iPhone as my gps. Will the cheap version of Mudmap or Memory map allow me to view the 4x4 earth GPS files?
And also, when viewing the track on the phone will it show where I am like a navman?

Memory map will use gps and plot you.
as long as you have purchased the extra maps you will have the tracks too.

oncedisturbed

Yes it will, you can load in the gox files into your online account at mudmaps then sync your device and they show up, then select which ine you want and it will plot for you.
It will also plot your location like your navman

Tap, Tap Taparoo

mmxe4

map downloads

would you be able to give me a quick rundown on how to transfer maps to my Mud Map account as when i press this on 4x4 earth it says not compatible with Macs which seems strange as i phones and ipads are apples.
your help would be greatly appreciated.

oncedisturbed

You can't transfer maps to mudmaps, only waypoint / tracklog gpx files.

You need to go to your online account at the mudmap website and select tracklogs, there is an option for you to upload the files. Once uploaded, resync the app and it will show in the tracklog section of the app

Tap, Tap Taparoo

mmxe4

map downloads

Thanks Oncedisturbed

Its very easy when you know what your doing.
thanks again its people like you who make the world a better place.

oncedisturbed

No probs at all, let us know if you need anymore info.
I am currently teating the latest beta release so will see how it goes before the "official" release comes out, so far it looks good except for for changing the compass to something out of a $2 toy machine, hopefully the change it back or put in an overall better set up

Tap, Tap Taparoo

prawns

There's 2 ways to read the compass direction on a iPhone. Using the built in magnetic one or using calculations based on GPS movement. Perhaps they changed to the "gps calculated" one? In which case it's only accurate when moving (some apps give a option like over 20kph use calculated, and under 20kph use magnetic - or just a manual toggle)

Just a FYI if ur curious. And remember some apps don't allow landscape mode while using the magnetic compass else it reads the wrong direction lol (if the app doesn't automatically compensate for phone pointing sideways)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oncedisturbed

Not sure which 1 the used for the new compass but the old 1 in the app was in degrees and allowed magnetic and true ability, the new 1 is basically something from a kids toy vending machine.

Tap, Tap Taparoo

bushy84

im very dissapointed with the new version of the app.. i had the old one with all topo maps which i lost when they undated......... i dont like how you can not zoom out all the way on the smarttopo like you could on the old one.. also how now it freezes up and shuts the app down............ if i new they were going to change it i would have brought the hema version..... just my 2 cents

oncedisturbed

im very dissapointed with the new version of the app.. i had the old one with all topo maps which i lost when they undated......... i dont like how you can not zoom out all the way on the smarttopo like you could on the old one.. also how now it freezes up and shuts the app down............ if i new they were going to change it i would have brought the hema version..... just my 2 cents

if you email them, they will will give you back your VMS maps that you had before. The latest beta release has a better and more stable zoom process for the SmartTOPO maps