interstate confusion

BlueCollie

They are talking about how they are unable to confiscate his licence and registration, both of which are owned by the issuing state and not the individual so they don't have the authority to do it. Demerit points are applicable Aus wide.

GaryM

I would expect the ACT will take his licence when the demerits are applied. Even though demerits are national, there are complications with applying them when penalties in each state are different. in some cases demerits do not follow you to your home state. Sometimes they slip between crack, but I would think this one will be closely followed.

Mr Rum

4x4 Earth Legend
Do any of you know if he'd still end up having to go to court?

It's usually an on the spot disqualification plus a court appearance for doing that kind of speed, and usually the disqualification dished out by the courts is way more impressive than any demerit points.

GaryM

Know? Nah, but I would think if its a court offence he will get a date, but he wouldnt have to show up and they would simply hear it on the police evidence. He just gets to wait for his loss of licence and ride away on the day.

There was a time if say from Vic, he could not worry himself about any of it as it didnt effect Vic licence and if he stayed out of NSW for 7 years, he would have avoided the fine too as NSW has a statute of limitations on fines, although Im not sure they always had that SOL. ACT is harder to avoid NSW for 7 years I presume, but not impossible.

Further back, he could have a licence in every state or as many did, lose it in one, go replace it in the another state.

itlldoo

we all live in the same country, individual state licences are a blatant money grab by the states, there should be no difference which state your in, the rules should apply across state lines, then there is no confusion.

Albynsw

We don't even share arrest warrants across the states
If you have unpaid convictions in another state they cannot enforce them unless you enter that state and then they can arrest you

How stupid is that

BlueCollie

We don't even share arrest warrants across the states
If you have unpaid convictions in another state they cannot enforce them unless you enter that state and then they can arrest you

How stupid is that
Extradition exists across the states it's just probably not worth the costs involved to chase fine dodgers.