Interesting Utube vids - just for entertainment, of course!

G_ute

How many more companies, not just the car industry, are morally bankrupt as far as jobkeeper payments?
And who thinks our current federal government, as our reperesentitives and managers of tax monies, will spend any effort getting it back.
Perhaps a reflection of society in general these days.

shanegtr

How many more companies, not just the car industry, are morally bankrupt as far as jobkeeper payments?
And who thinks our current federal government, as our reperesentitives and managers of tax monies, will spend any effort getting it back.
Perhaps a reflection of society in general these days.
Agree with you. If you or I owed money to the ATO or made a mistake and been overpaid from center link you can bet your arse they would come after the individual - why can't companies be treated the same?

smitty_r51

Agree with you. If you or I owed money to the ATO or made a mistake and been overpaid from center link you can bet your arse they would come after the individual - why can't companies be treated the same?
Because much as we dislike it they are not breaking any rules. They were entitled to it, morally they may be obliged to give it back, but morally you don't make any tax deductions each year to drop your tax bill.

The issue isn't they won't give it back, the issue is that once more the government rushed a scheme in knee jerk style with no planning and the money was handed out with no controls and nothing in place to differentiate between mom and pop's cafe scraping by each year and multimillions .inc who got to claim on the same rules

John U

Because much as we dislike it they are not breaking any rules. They were entitled to it, morally they may be obliged to give it back, but morally you don't make any tax deductions each year to drop your tax bill.

The issue isn't they won't give it back, the issue is that once more the government rushed a scheme in knee jerk style with no planning and the money was handed out with no controls and nothing in place to differentiate between mom and pop's cafe scraping by each year and multimillions .inc who got to claim on the same rules
An additional issue, with some parallels, is how people who were pursued by Robodebt were treated. A parallel that quite a few people have made.

The companies who have handed back all of the JobKeeper money that they didn't need, ALL of the Job Keeper money that wasn't required for the intended purpose, should be congratulated and supported.

Albynsw

I don’t know if it matters that much as the intention was to put money into the economy. They doubled the unemployment benefits and those people were not effected one iota financially with the crisis.
If the scheme was not in place those big companies would of cut staffing at the start of the pandemic and all those people would of been on unemployment benefits ( double) so the cost to the taxpayers would of been substantially more, throwing money at employers was a much cheaper option for us all anda good move at the time.
Easy to be critical in hindsight but I think the government did a stella job during the crisis and even the opposition were ok with it all.
The Morrison government have done some pretty dumb things but I don’t see this as one of them

a1bert

Don't know if a lot of people would have lost their jobs, the threat of losing their jobs was scary i agree, and this gave people confidence
Hardly Normal were never affected as people took to purchasing items such as lap tops, tv's etc yet they pocketed $5m
Now i see they are trying to run a publicity make good but have no intention of repaying the monies
From my aspect this is a morally bankrupt, i will never buy an item from them again
Finish of rant :)

Albynsw

Hardly Normal were never affected as people took to purchasing items such as lap tops, tv's etc yet they pocketed $5m
Now i see they are trying to run a publicity make good but have no intention of repaying the monies
From my aspect this is a morally bankrupt, i will never buy an item from them again
Finish of rant :)

Why single out Hardly Normal ? All the other retailers would of done the same, Jerry talks to the media more than the others so becomes an easy target.

The other thing is HN is a franchise business, every store you go into is a conglomerate of individual small businesses that are renting floor space and accessing their product through Gerry who gets a commission on their sales. So any jobkeeper would of been through individual small businesses not through HN themselves, he has no control over staffing within the franchises

Look on a sales docket from their store and you will see a different company name trading as Harvey Norman Electrical or whichever department you are in
Wiki quote
“Harvey Norman's operating structure is unusual in that each store department (flooring, bedding, furniture, computer and electrical) is operated by a separate entity of management. Thus many superstores are a combination of three or four separate businesses managed independently contributing revenue to Harvey Norman Holdings Ltd. through lease payments and a portion of sales.”

a1bert

The other thing is HN is a franchise business, every store you go into is a conglomerate of individual small businesses that are renting floor space and accessing their product through Gerry who gets a commission on their sales. So any jobkeeper would of been through individual small businesses not through HN themselves, he has no control over staffing within the franchises

Harvey Norman is a Franchise, owned by Gerry and another person(?), not the individual stores
The application was in the name of Hardly Normal, not the individual names of the Franchisees
The individual stores do not make these decisions
as this is now totally off topic i will stop commenting

discomatt

^^^ that would be hilarious if it wasn't so true, sad and a demonstration on how pathetic Australian government is

LurchWA

Jobkeeper was paid to any business who could prove that their turnover was 30% down on a corresponding quarter in the previous financial year. It was designed to keep employees attached to businesses instead of them losing their jobs.
The ATO was regularly auditing all payments to ensure that only those entitled to it actually got it. The tax year for businesses are different to that of individuals and some business will be getting letters from the ATO this year if their returns show that they were not 30% down, thats probably why a lot are offering to pay it back because their accountants and audits have shown that they weren't entitled to it.
There is no doubt that the payment helped many people, both wage earners and small business people survive during the worst last year.
Walk through your local shopping centre and count how many stores there are and the number of people working there then ask yourself wether the money was well spent!

Grippy

Jobkeeper was paid to any business who could prove that their turnover was 30% down on a corresponding quarter in the previous financial year. It was designed to keep employees attached to businesses instead of them losing their jobs.
The ATO was regularly auditing all payments to ensure that only those entitled to it actually got it. The tax year for businesses are different to that of individuals and some business will be getting letters from the ATO this year if their returns show that they were not 30% down, thats probably why a lot are offering to pay it back because their accountants and audits have shown that they weren't entitled to it.
There is no doubt that the payment helped many people, both wage earners and small business people survive during the worst last year.
Walk through your local shopping centre and count how many stores there are and the number of people working there then ask yourself wether the money was well spent!
It's and interesting thing.
The barber that cuts my hair down at the local reckons he hasn't been able to get workers since Covid kicked off. One of the parents at work was saying the same thing at their work

LurchWA

It's and interesting thing.
The barber that cuts my hair down at the local reckons he hasn't been able to get workers since Covid kicked off. One of the parents at work was saying the same thing at their work
Yes Grippy that sounds about right.
Any labour very hard to almost impossible to find in our local area here in WA also.
This is affecting all industries and we have about 140,000 unemployed in WA yet are bringing in foreign labour to pick fruit and veges.
I have been in business almost 30 years and have never seen the local labour market so tight!

Grippy

Yes Grippy that sounds about right.
Any labour very hard to almost impossible to find in our local area here in WA also.
This is affecting all industries and we have about 140,000 unemployed in WA yet are bringing in foreign labour to pick fruit and veges.
I have been in business almost 30 years and have never seen the local labour market so tight!
Yeah old mate was saying as soon as it was all happening, all his regular workers didn't come in, him, the wife and his daughter have been flat stick and he can't get workers, turning work away, they all sitting at home. Bullshit considering shits been pretty well normal here in SA for the whole time this mess has been around.

Albynsw

Yeah old mate was saying as soon as it was all happening, all his regular workers didn't come in, him, the wife and his daughter have been flat stick and he can't get workers, turning work away, they all sitting at home. Bullshit considering shits been pretty well normal here in SA for the whole time this mess has been around.
My wife is in retail and same thing at their work, cannot get staff. Nobody wants a job when the gubberment is paying double
We are on the road at the moment and drove to Darwin and it is the same everywhere we go........ no one wants a job
Speaking with one of the big fruit growers up here and he is getting staff from the islands......locals are not interested

and still you get the usual mouths winging how they can’t get a job and the government doesn’t do enough for them