Installing a Winch should I install a dual battery?

linuxfan66

i miss when you could have a two batteries split by a basic red arc and if you flattened the main battery, you could just leave the car and the secondary battery would bring the main battery back after a bit before smart alternators killed these type of dual battery kits.

Triton14

i miss when you could have a two batteries split by a basic red arc and if you flattened the main battery, you could just leave the car and the secondary battery would bring the main battery back after a bit before smart alternators killed these type of dual battery kits.
???? miss it???
You still can, I have.

boobook

???? miss it???
You still can, I have.

Same. There is a Redarc app note on how to wire it. Easy. I have a 200A isolator for this reason. It has 600A surge. ( I have the USA powersure one)

IMHO it is also better for winching. If you have 2 batteries, then use them both for winching. It is kinder to the starter battery and winch, plus you get faster winch speed and recovery time for the batteries.

The isolator is just wired for over ride, not charging.

Batts88

Sorry but how does the winch get faster because a 12v winch like anything else would have limits on how much power input it can take before damaging the electrics? Your saying 2 batteries increases the speed not sure how that works it may make a difference if your engine is not running or if you have been winching for a period of time because you have more storage capacity to keep it running longer but not faster.

boobook

Sorry but how does the winch get faster because a 12v winch like anything else would have limits on how much power input it can take before damaging the electrics? Your saying 2 batteries increases the speed not sure how that works it may make a difference if your engine is not running or if you have been winching for a period of time because you have more storage capacity to keep it running longer but not faster.

Sure it's faster. Or more correctly, it slows down less under longer pulls when loaded. Even with the engine running the terminal voltage will drop when under heavy load, it can go down to 11V or less when winching. With two batteries or more capacity, the voltage reduction is less, and takes longer.

If for example the voltage is 12v then it has nearly 50% more power than one running at 10V. I have done it many times. Run a winch on one battery then switch in the second and it will immediately and noticeably speed up, and will sound less stressed. If you have a friend with a suitable setup try it when they are winching under load.

Last edited:

linuxfan66

Same. There is a Redarc app note on how to wire it. Easy. I have a 200A isolator for this reason. It has 600A surge. ( I have the USA powersure one)

IMHO it is also better for winching. If you have 2 batteries, then use them both for winching. It is kinder to the starter battery and winch, plus you get faster winch speed and recovery time for the batteries.

The isolator is just wired for over ride, not charging.
???? miss it???
You still can, I have.

WHAT?? i was told by a guy who installed secondary batteries that smart alternator cars could have old school dual battery systems as it would cause problems. and wouldnt install them as such to my knowledge

boobook

WHAT?? i was told by a guy who installed secondary batteries that smart alternator cars could have old school dual battery systems as it would cause problems. and wouldnt install them as such to my knowledge
The 200A isolator is for manually paralleling the batteries for jumping or winching. The charging system uses the DCDC 1250. Sorry for not making that clearer.

Triton14

Dont always believe what someone tells you, even so called experts!
Not exactly how mine is set up but an example.

Petunia

I have a old school system!
two batteries, a big long chunk of wire, a humungous solenoid, an off/on switch!
switch on, batteries connected, charged, winched, jumped. switch off didly squat happens.
if it does not work, car must be out of fuel?