Change background image

Inskip

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by red hilux, Oct 7, 2018.

1. red hilux

red hilux Well-Known Member

I was just watching a few vids on youtube. I got bogged at inskip

I swear, it looks like most of the people that are stuck are running high tyre pressures

Superdad and Blue_haired_man like this.
  2. Hoyks

Hoyks Well-Known Member

I think there are generally 3 causes of people getting stuck at Inskip:
    * running too higher pressures
    * not having it in 4x4 or not locking hubs
    * having no idea what they are doing and not asking for advice.​

All the gear and no idea would be well up there, but still probably beaten by the reluctance to let air out because the salesman said 'this baby will go anywhere'.

Barra GU, billolga and Jaye like this.
  3. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

It does get VERY soft and cut up with so much traffic, I have been over that beach 4 times, stuck on the last time, trailer on the back and 14 PSI coming off the barge . It can be hit and miss as to whether you make it and trust me I watched how others were struggling on the last run and I did everything I could to make it and no go. Ended up with about 5-6 people pushing like crazy and me just creeping along and digging trenches, just could not get up on top. Eventually made it but it was hard work

joekar likes this.
  4. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

I’ve never been slowed by Inskip in 30+ years of travelling through there. Towing my 2 x 19 ft boats, building trailer and camper trailers. The correct tyre profile at the correct pressure allows for zero momentum, start stop driving off the beach. We would join 2 cars together with a snatch before even attempting Indian head bypass when towing the boats through there to the Fraser Classic but never bothered at Inskip.
    Wrong tyre profile (low profile), wrong pressures, not turning TC off will hurt every time. A lot of pop up campers go down due to their wider wheel track. They need minimum pressure to get through like a tandem boat trailer on 13” van tyres. I ran them at 15psi.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Barra GU, joekar and billolga like this.
  5. red hilux

6. nightscale

nightscale Active Member

that's moana beach in Adelaide, about 100m from my place not close to inskip

7. red hilux

Oh wow.
    YouTube title is completely wrong then

8. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

Indian head - soft and uphill for a long way

joekar, Jaye and Hoyks like this.
  9. red hilux

That’s a very nice tow.

But can you imagine the stresses on the trailer

10. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

We did it all the time. A little bit of prep work was always required. Any roller support posts hanging down below the chassis rails were cut off - they sometimes caught in the jump up onto the corduroy tracks and made a real mess. My cruisecraft outsider was on a single axle trailer so I got 15' Volvo GT rims (HT stud pattern) and underslung the axle and fitted 29" tyres to it. The signature was on a very low mackay tandem trailer with an extremely wide wheel track. I just lowered the tyres and it towed fine. We also had a big drawbar extension we made up for launching in the gutter. Overall the trailers lasted pretty well considering what they were subjected to. Inskip is a complete doddle in comparison.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Hoyks likes this.
  11. red hilux

That’s a very nice tow.

But can you imagine the stresses on the trailer

12. billolga

billolga 4x4 Earth Contributer

I thought those zipity do dar Disco's would get you out of everything.:D

discomatt likes this.
  13. discomatt

They do, I had a fully loaded car and 1.6 ton hanging off the back and plenty were totally stuck without a trailer, I guess I should just upgrade to a Toyota ute and learn how to drive:p

mikehzz, callmejoe and billolga like this.
  14. billolga

billolga 4x4 Earth Contributer

Or a Patrol with an electronic clock.;):D

Julian and discomatt like this.
  15. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

It’s got nothing to do with anything but PSI’s exerted on the ground. When I was building up there I had a Kia Ceres 4x4 loaded up and towing a trailer full of hardware. It had a 2 litre naturally aspirated diesel and drove the beach at high tide - slowly and in low range, but it did it. If you want to tow on low profile tyres in sand you’ll be found wanting every time when conditions get ordinary. But you’ve already proven that.

16. discomatt

What are you on about? When at Inskip I had the D1 on all occasions and it has 85 profile tires, when at SA I had the D4 with 65 profile and once I got used to the electronics and how to drive the car had no issues what so ever. I only got that car stuck to the sills due to never driving it off road and having zero experience with it. I have never said low profile tires are any good on sand , the closest I have come to that is stating that many experienced LR owners from aulro say they have no issues on sand and its non experienced that have issues. Some have taken 20 inch rims with 50 series tires to Fraser and not been stuck.
    I would agree that low profile tires would ask a LOT more of the driver and car than a high profile

17. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

This guy's making hard work of it....

mac_man_luke and discomatt like this.
  18. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

Muppetry of the highest order

19. hungry6

hungry6 Member

LOL, I was up fraser when the cruiser blew up (or it identical twin)
    That's another victim of the inland waddy point track heading south.
    Gradual incline of soft sand rutted by boofhead in 35 on 40psi does make towing a challenge if you're new to the Island.
    Dunno know what gave up, but his mate with a jayco also block the track up to his floor pan for over an hour. He was courteously towed out of the way.
    Pretty sure that towie charge pretty hefty $$ to get you of the Island.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    cam04 likes this.
  20. Superdad

Superdad Well-Known Member

Is it pressure? I've been on very soft sand but 33's at 14psi have just crawled over it all...