Info on suspected death over the week end

a1bert

Had a phone call today about a suspected drowning of a 65 year old when attempting a river crossing in the High Country over the week end, asking for information
Must admit i have heard nought, but know it was raining heavily there recently, and having crossed the Wonguarra when the water was sill height on a Patrol, can believe that it could happen
Any info guy's?

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Yeah. It was a sixty six year old bloke from Mirboo North . He was travelling with another vehicle down sullivans track and tried crossing Aberfeldie River.
Vehicle dropped into a three metre hole and he was trapped inside. His mate could not help and rescue eventually recovered him inside his vehicle hours later.
Travelling up Vic. High country and crossing rivers in this wet weather is a bit suss.

Swaggie

There’s no river crossing at Sullivans track ,Im guessing there talking about the Junction Hut area and a section of that is always deeper even in the warmer months, sometimes you have big logs that get caught up there near the intersection. Even in the shallower times I’ve had water come up my bonnet and up my windscreen for a short time.
If you don’t know this area well it can be a real trap…..I suggest you walk it because it can change in a dime.

LongRoad2Go

Another pitiful story of some temporary Australian entering flood waters or waterways with increased flows (flooded by any other definition) and joining the Darwin Awards. Add to that not walking the path to check depth - basic stuff. No sympathy for them - it's not like EVERY government organisation, on TV, Internet and Radio hasn't warned people NOT to enter waterways in such instances. If anything, I pity the families they leave behind.

A dumb and unnecessary death!

discomatt

It was at Junction hut, reconised it straight away, as for walking it, no way its way to cold, have driven across it and other high country river crossings 100's of times without walking them, would rather float away than die from hypothermia.
I have also floated the car there once, was washed bout 2m off line but managed to get out, not a pleasant experience with the better half giving firm solid advise to get the hell out of there...

boobook

Yet another Walhalla issue. Walhalla is such an idiot magnet. Rubbish everywhere, vandelising camp sites, motorbikes till 3am, music all night next to other campers, lots of accidents, and regular deaths.

I guess it's because it's an easy drive to get to the area and lots of novices go there and get out of their depth on some pretty tough tracks.

It would be fair to say there are more issues at Walhalla than everywhere else in the high country combined.

It's actually great, keeps the hoons away from the other areas so other people can enjoy themselves.

They should change the name to Boganville. It doesn't help give 4wders a good image in the eyes of the public or the authorities.

stevemc181

Sad story.
Pity some posters expressed their armchair opinions with no knowledge of the facts but hey, this forum is no different to FB these days.
Yes, it’s easy for some to jump to wrong conclusions without knowing the facts. The only person who will know is his mate that was in another vehicle with him. He hasn’t posted in a number of years on the forum but was known to enjoy a lively discussion when he was active.

He was no young fella or hoon, being around 66 yrs old and was an avid 4wd’er.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Off road driving has it's risks and sometimes it comes down to making a calculated decision which then leads to a bad outcome.
I have experienced making a decision where I had no other choice that went pear shaped.
Luck got me through.
Am sure many of us have been there.
One of our own did just that a couple of years ago and paid the ultimate price.
R.I.P. to both of them.

discomatt

Yet another Walhalla issue. Walhalla is such an idiot magnet. Rubbish everywhere, vandelising camp sites, motorbikes till 3am, music all night next to other campers, lots of accidents, and regular deaths.

I guess it's because it's an easy drive to get to the area and lots of novices go there and get out of their depth on some pretty tough tracks.

It would be fair to say there are more issues at Walhalla than everywhere else in the high country combined.

It's actually great, keeps the hoons away from the other areas so other people can enjoy themselves.

They should change the name to Boganville. It doesn't help give 4wders a good image in the eyes of the public or the authorities.
I was out at Walhalla not long ago 2 nights camp with mates and Some great 4wding, no hoons, no rubbish , no motorbikes no accidents.
luckily I have not found it to be any worse than any other parts of the high country

typhoeus

I've seen a few incidents in the media recently where people were trapped in submerged cars, and they couldn't escape due to electric windows and central locking shorting out and becoming non functional. In one instance a woman accidentally drove into a swimming pool and the whole thing was caught on security cameras. Bystanders could not open the doors, she could not open the doors or windows and they used a brick to smash it & get her out. So, I'm glad I have wind up windows.

Wannabe4WDer

I've seen a few incidents in the media recently where people were trapped in submerged cars, and they couldn't escape due to electric windows and central locking shorting out and becoming non functional. In one instance a woman accidentally drove into a swimming pool and the whole thing was caught on security cameras. Bystanders could not open the doors, she could not open the doors or windows and they used a brick to smash it & get her out. So, I'm glad I have wind up windows.
There is a reason why you see a lot of people with windows down and seatbelts off when they do a crossing. I would much rather have my window down and get a bit of water in (which really if you are driving the crossing properly water shouldn't splash that high) then have my window stuck down and need to get out in a hurry.

Patriot

Administrator
Is there any more information on this? Anyone got a photo of the crossing? I think I know the one, but not sure.