INEOS Grenadier.

Grenadier

• Total voters

boobook

Yeah saw that video... i agree with a lot of what he said but not tyre size. He seems to push the 35" tyre size all the time. This size tyre is not required for outback touring.... my thoughts anyway
Agreed, 35" won't add much, and the power it robs will more than offset any extra rolling radius benefit. Then, when you need a new tyre away from the city, wait a week or buy 6 new tyres. 31 to 33 is plenty for touring.

The only 2 downsides I see are the fuel capacity, and the price is higher than they set expectations for. The aftermarket industry will be all over accessories including a long range tank.

rob_macca67

The only 2 downsides I see are the fuel capacity, and the price is higher than they set expectations for. The aftermarket industry will be all over accessories including a long range tank.
Let's hope you're right about the aftermarket industry here in Aus... I've read a lot where people are not happy about the fuel tank size... For me its a no go w/o a good fuel capacity... The price is also an issue...

My other concern is when I'm ready to retire and purchase my final touring vehicle (hopefully), that the Govt will continue jacking up the fuel prices for the average person, forcing people down the EV path & thus making your $100k+ purchase a bad investment with a high depreciation rate... but then again I may be wrong... hopefully

Krumpy

Fuel is the only issue for me. Other than his videos still being shared here, surely thats a no go. I guess I could fix it myself by saying ***** **** *****

CTL

Seems the fatal (international) flaw is: Sir Cashed-Up-A-Lot should've used the LC79 as a foundation vehicle, then added the best ideas from Land Rover and Mercedes-Benz G-Class to put the knife into competitors.

Obviously still early days, but many issues remain 'deal breakers' for over-landing pursuits.
Yaaawwwwnnn

linuxfan66

Agreed, 35" won't add much, and the power it robs will more than offset any extra rolling radius benefit. Then, when you need a new tyre away from the city, wait a week or buy 6 new tyres. 31 to 33 is plenty for touring.
its that bad?
Let's hope you're right about the aftermarket industry here in Aus... I've read a lot where people are not happy about the fuel tank size... For me its a no go w/o a good fuel capacity... The price is also an issue...

My other concern is when I'm ready to retire and purchase my final touring vehicle (hopefully), that the Govt will continue jacking up the fuel prices for the average person, forcing people down the EV path & thus making your $100k+ purchase a bad investment with a high depreciation rate... but then again I may be wrong... hopefully
fair just becaues right now people will pay 200k for a modded up 70 series with a power tune, winch, etc. if fuel prices keep climbing its gonna make these cheap and worth jack compared to their former value like has happened in europe already

discomatt

fair just becaues right now people will pay 200k for a modded up 70 series with a power tune, winch, etc. if fuel prices keep climbing its gonna make these cheap and worth jack compared to their former value like has happened in europe already
in 10 years people driving a fuel guzzling diesel will be looked at in society in the same way the smoker feels while standing in the shadows having a ciggy

boobook

My boss in the US recently had his Rivian 4wd R1T delivered. He said it has the ability to have 450mm clearance and goes up any slope. On paper it has a 500km ( 300miles) range and Rivian has put chargers in remote places. He loaded it up with camping gear and a kayak and 4 people, he was at the low battery at less than 300km on the road. When off-road, it chews batteries like nothing else and he thinks it will have a range of around 120 to 150km. He thinks it gives him 3 - 4 hours of driving regardless of the terrain. The remote charger only gives him up to 5 km per hour of charge ( highway use) from a standard power outlet.

EV 4wds may work for the US and Europe. But with a round trip range of 60 to 250km I can't see that being viable here ever.

smitty_r51

My boss in the US recently had his Rivian 4wd R1T delivered. He said it has the ability to have 450mm clearance and goes up any slope. On paper it has a 500km ( 300miles) range and Rivian has put chargers in remote places. He loaded it up with camping gear and a kayak and 4 people, he was at the low battery at less than 300km on the road. When off-road, it chews batteries like nothing else and he thinks it will have a range of around 120 to 150km. He thinks it gives him 3 - 4 hours of driving regardless of the terrain. The remote charger only gives him up to 5 km per hour of charge ( highway use) from a standard power outlet.

EV 4wds may work for the US and Europe. But with a round trip range of 60 to 250km I can't see that being viable here ever.
electric around town is fine, any futher out and range anxiety becomes a thing, especially given there are not charging points in every suburb currently.

Watched a video on the new f150 electric has similar range figures but they halve as soon as you add a trailer. The issue then is you need a second ICE vehicle to do out of town runs.

we have a bunch of electric cars at work, get in it and unplug it range approx 150km. you do a 20km return journey and the range to empty is down in the 40's.

Whatever takes over from ICE has to have the same benefits, you need a range of 700-1000km and a recharge time of under 10 minutes .

the "market" for electric cars as they stand now could be replaced with a decent public transport system or self propulsion (walking/riding)

I'm rather tall and I've always found the leg room in Landy's was seriously deficient and cramped..., especially for the driver.
What's it like in this latest iteration ?
Also, in 10 years(or less) time, and given the pace and way that EV's are developing.., we'll all be driving advanced 'all terrain' remote travelling EV's. Off Road EV's that are so advanced that we may well be looking back at the early adopters of some models and think to ourselves..., remember old so and so..., he purchased the first P76 of off all road EV's ?

Last edited:

cam04

The manufacturers need to have a VHS vs BETAmax fight and see who’s battery pack is the best, standardise and make them removable. Then EV drivers can simply swap and go and there is zero wait time. Semis will just have 10 of the same battery pack etc etc. That way they can be charged at a central point and ‘delivered’ into remote shops etc with all the other deliveries. Batteries can be charged by bona fide green energy because they are not on the critical path time wise. Owners can have a spare and charge it during the day off solar panels at home etc - and take a spare or two if heading off on a trip.
I think my brain just exploded…

Last edited:

discomatt

Meanwhile in the real world 'right now'..., some people require a vehicle that can be driven off road all day.
Absolutely that is the case but it doesn’t change the reality of what is happening to the planet or does it change the reality that is not far off

boobook

in 10 years people driving a fuel guzzling diesel will be looked at in society in the same way the smoker feels while standing in the shadows having a ciggy

Matt, I reckon they will look at people driving the diesel's and say "WOW what a lucky guy, he can drive anywhere he wants, and away from cities. And listen to that fantastic V8 Diesel note."

It's like someone watching and listening to a 351 Cleveland block XY drive past that gets 15 MPG. "WOW, what a lucky guy."

The good ol days.

I think people will be forced to buy offsets if they have diesel etc. Just like you can buy carbon offsets for trucks, planes etc.

The market rate to offset my V8 Diesel greenhouses is about $200 per year at current rates. But I also reduce greenhouse gases by 4 times what my diesel 4wd uses from my solar, so I am in credit.

If people want to offset their vehicles flights etc they can do so here.

My employer makes all employees log trips, they know your vehicle etc and pay the offset for every trip - my car, taxi, flight etc.

Last edited:

Vesko

When the time comes, electric 4WD would be awesome!

Just imagine having a small compact battery that gives you 1000km run pulling a trailer in the desert, and you have one or two of them batteries extra for back up. While you are driving the battery is fully charged within 6 hours under the scorching sun through some new technology solar panels integrated in the paint of your shiny vehicle.

Imagine there are no drive shafts, no axels, each wheel with their powerful independent motor. Heck, you can make it as high clearance as you wish… And no visiting the pump for a hefty diesel bill! What’s not to like about it?

I just wish to live to see it.

linuxfan66

Seems the fatal (international) flaw is: Sir Cashed-Up-A-Lot should've used the LC79 as a foundation vehicle, then added the best ideas from Land Rover and Mercedes-Benz G-Class to put the knife into competitors.

Obviously still early days, but many issues remain 'deal breakers' for over-landing pursuits.
is his criticisms of the eaton e locker fair? is accusing them of being unreliable after being brutually abused?

Matt, I reckon they will look at people driving the diesel's and say "WOW what a lucky guy, he can drive anywhere he wants, and away from cities. And listen to that fantastic V8 Diesel note."

It's like someone watching and listening to a 351 Cleveland block XY drive past that gets 15 MPG. "WOW, what a lucky guy."

The good ol days.

I think people will be forced to buy offsets if they have diesel etc. Just like you can buy carbon offsets for trucks, planes etc.

The market rate to offset my V8 Diesel greenhouses is about $200 per year at current rates. But I also reduce greenhouse gases by 4 times what my diesel 4wd uses from my solar, so I am in credit.

If people want to offset their vehicles flights etc they can do so here.

My employer makes all employees log trips, they know your vehicle etc and pay the offset for every trip - my car, taxi, flight etc.
as for offsets, ive seen too much evidence the industry is full of lies and nonsense to be trusted at the moment.

as for 35s, in europe 35s wont make sense. so it makes sense its not specced for it.

further through the video. he seems to expect fully setup tourer from the factory. yet getting a 70 series at a massive premium and spending 100k on it would be done in the heart beat.

Last edited:

discomatt

Who knows what cars will be running on in the future, it most certainly will not be diesel, F1 will be running a fuel in 4 years that not one person here knows a single thing about....

sharkcaver

When the time comes, electric 4WD would be awesome!

Just imagine having a small compact battery that gives you 1000km run pulling a trailer in the desert, and you have one or two of them batteries extra for back up. While you are driving the battery is fully charged within 6 hours under the scorching sun through some new technology solar panels integrated in the paint of your shiny vehicle.

Imagine there are no drive shafts, no axels, each wheel with their powerful independent motor. Heck, you can make it as high clearance as you wish… And no visiting the pump for a hefty diesel bill! What’s not to like about it?

I just wish to live to see it.
If the above ever happens in your lifetime, which is highly doubtful, I suggest you will not be in a physical condition to be able to use it.