Induction cooktop & inverter

boobook

I love Induction Cooktops, I would never buy anything else for the home. But geez they suck power. We had to upgrade the power cable to 32A.

It is not viable to use an induction cook top off 12v batteries in a meaningful way for camping to replace gas. It is as simple as that.

I don't care how many lithium batteries or solar panels Pat was given. You need 1 1/2 days of battery charging ( about 10 hours of driving or 12 hours of sun with no clouds ) to get an hour or two of cooking time every day if you have about 500W of solar. Then you still have no power left over for fridges, lights etc.

And you only have 1 burner. How do you cook a dinner like that? Unless you don't mind spending $4000 to $5000 to heat up cup noodles.

Last edited:

Bru9

So what the conclusion?
big storage battery?
Big DC AC inverter ?
Backup Solar panel ?
Or all above?

Induction cooktops off batteries are a political pipedream, fossil fuels are 1000s of times more efficient. You will literally spend thousands for what a 300dollar LPG bottle and stove can do. And some stoves like the coleman hyperflame are immune to strong winds and work well. Just look at what drifta did to their CT, ruined it with a completley backwards idea designed to prey on rubes. serioulsy the guy uses 150Watts for ice to chill his drinks, all gimmicks bro.

What you are doing simply can't work in a 4WD & most CTs, hell many caravans are not even done well. Can you fit 400AH of lithium in the 4wd? Because that it was you need for 2000Watts. Also remember quality inverters like victron are less than the namplate rating, their 2000va is 1600 at real world 40C temp. There are no small lithium batts that can run 2000W because chinese lithium is simply not designed for it. Most lithium 100AH batts are only good for about 50A constant loads before the voltage sag goes too high and you loose a large chunk of capacity. Also you will always use more AH than you think & your batt will always be lower than you think. I do alot of cooking & gas option is the only sane thing to do. Also you need serious solar to put back in as the clouds are always present along with mountains. A dinky 300W panel just doesn't cut it in the real world and people always fall prey to the numbers, solar is a very weak unreliable source of power. I would carry up to 1200Watts in portable for my little 125AH li. Nopoint in a large bank if the charge sources are small, common mistake I see all the time & then someone starts up the genny pissing off campers.
Now if you actually size the battery properley & can size for a few days of reserve then yes you will have a massive lithium bank that can easily run 200A loads so long that you have acess to a good few hours of direct sunlight each day. If you camp for a day then drive for 2-3hours than you may get away with not needing any solar. The way some of these setups are going gas is getting easier, just a quick connect fitting & your done, I laughed as with induction you have to waste time plugging in the cord. And dont you forget that AC 240V can be quite dangerous.

cam04

I love Induction Cooktops, I would never buy anything else for the home. But geez they suck power. We had to upgrade the power cable to 32A.

It is not viable to use an induction cook top off 12v batteries in a meaningful way for camping to replace gas. It is as simple as that.

I don't care how many lithium batteries or solar panels Pat was given. You need 1 1/2 days of battery charging ( about 10 hours of driving or 12 hours of sun with no clouds ) to get an hour or two of cooking time every day if you have about 500W of solar. Then you still have no power left over for fridges, lights etc.

And you only have 1 burner. How do you cook a dinner like that? Unless you don't mind spending $4000 to $5000 to heat up cup noodles.
Making my morning coffee in the stovetop mokka, the floor vibrates under my feet from the current flow. I wouldn’t dream of taking one camping.