Induction cooktop & inverter

Triton14

Pat Cal's new amarok build has 4 lito batteries to a 3000w inverter. He has a 2 pot induction cook top and a coffee maker.

His idea is to be gas free

I do like the idea TBH, obviously he is sponsored and has some coin in his pocket. Rules me out

Anyone want to have a guess at the dollar value of all that sponsored gear in a retail setting?

I get the want if you have the $$ and a good lithium setup+ Inverter is always coveted but seriously what is wrong with gas ..its pretty economical. you can get refills in most towns..How does Pat have hot showers without gas..?

red hilux

I personally have made an electric hot water system for myself with gas back up.
I heat while driving or able to run it by solar panel.

discomatt

After all these comments I am still getting an electric cooker for the van because I know the battery set up will run it for what I want.
All I need it for is when its pouring with rain, blowing a gale and freezing cold I have options to make my morning coffee or cook a quick basic meal, it will go well with the microwave ;)
We don't need to worry about hot water , that is diesel and also doubles as ducted heating

Albynsw

After all these comments I am still getting an electric cooker for the van because I know the battery set up will run it for what I want.
All I need it for is when its pouring with rain, blowing a gale and freezing cold I have options to make my morning coffee or cook a quick basic meal, it will go well with the microwave ;)
We don't need to worry about hot water , that is diesel and also doubles as ducted heating
That new LR has made you soft :p

Lost1?

Its all about creating an inspirational build. How else would we have evolved from the basic set ups we had in the 80's to some of the touring rigs you see now. Nor sure I would be pulling a beer straight after pulling up to camp for the night. Might be more like ice cream than beer.

Komang

I personally have made an electric hot water system for myself with gas back up.
I heat while driving or able to run it by solar panel.
Havent tried yet put it in the car.
Have made cooler and heater for my cat run with TEC with 200w solar panel.

Petunia

BUT we do have 380 amp hours of lithium battery , 560 watts of solar and 2000watt inverter, not your average camping 4wd set up
What can one say? Other than, yes that set up will power the whole campground in the Zombie apocalypse. If you start with the knowledge your system is up to the demand you place on it [past/present/future] you are well in front the 8 ball to start.

Nor sure I would be pulling a beer straight after pulling up to camp for the night. Might be more like ice cream than beer
Did you notice? the co2 gas bottle? Keg beer is flat, co2 is added as the tap is opened. One commenter on YT said similar about frothy shaken beer. Not to mention that whole concept to me is way to much salt and pepper shakers used.

About that video? Rough calculation estimate run time is one hour at full warp7, Scottie. Simple maths 3000 divide 10 = 300 or divide 12 = 250. 4 x 60Ah =240 ... 240 is near enough 250 which in turn = one hour at the very best? There was no mention of charging? But it must be really good setup, or you be cooking in daylight hours only? I remain sceptical as to whether we see any follow up? or is it a pure advertising stunt?:cool:

Komang

So what the conclusion?
big storage battery?
Big DC AC inverter ?
Backup Solar panel ?
Or all above?

discomatt

All of the above but personally I wouldn't bother for a general 4wd / camping set up, van is a different story and even that depends on what you have planned. We are planning to spend 6 months of the year traveling in the van some time in the future and hopefullly not to far away,so for us its a requirement

Petunia

So what the conclusion?
big storage battery?
Big DC AC inverter ?
Backup Solar panel ?
Or all above?
Conclusion :- Work out what you want to run? [all appliances/devices]

Calculate total Ah you will need

Size your battery/s accordingly [to Ah you need][or just buy 6]

Size your inverter according to total [or] highest wattage appliance

Solar panel/s, buy heaps, set up solar farm, live happily ever after.

A definitive answer is yes no maybe, there is nothing at the start to work out the end result?

McGinnis

Not only is gas cheaper and more efficient for this purpose, it's much safer in my opinion. Very few inverter manufacturers have adequately addressed the safety issues of closed-circuit AC setups.

I would not use an inverter with a high-power device without a proper multiple-earth neutral/RCD setup.

Keith B

I have a big 12 volt setup on my home built pop top with 990 watts of solar, 400 AH lithiums (320AH usable) and a 1.6KVA inverter-charger plus a 60 amp DC-DC charger. That's to run a 220 litre 12 volt fridge, microwave, diesel heating system and a split system aircon on low setting overnight. I have a gas stove rather than induction.
To get the sizing right, I used a solar calculator from the Solar4RVs website.
Solar Calculator
You set all your usages, durations and specify day or night usage for all your power users right down to phone and laptop recharges. The calculator makes you nominate your battery power and solar power and let's you know if you have sufficient power or a shortfall for all areas and seasons in Australia.
It's totally free to use and I found it an enormous help.
Keith

Komang

Conclusion :- Work out what you want to run? [all appliances/devices]

Calculate total Ah you will need

Size your battery/s accordingly [to Ah you need][or just buy 6]

Size your inverter according to total [or] highest wattage appliance

Solar panel/s, buy heaps, set up solar farm, live happily ever after.

A definitive answer is yes no maybe, there is nothing at the start to work out the end result?
Defenetly bro
Will do home work first
Or win lotto :)