In an ever changing landscape.

Joe Fury

G'day Adventurers
I'm not too sure why, but for whatever reason I ventured out and about today just a 'solo' run that was no more than 65 Kilometres ~ there and back, after all it's a nice sunny day ~ cool easterly breeze and about 26 degrees C.

I guess it can be said that I might be fortunate to be living where I live in the inland Pilbara, you won't get an argument out of me if it's the geology and ancient landscape that is the prime subject in any conversation, quite simply it is stunning country.

This 'solo' run today had a couple of very real moments of an emotional nature, yes an old bugger like me can and does get emotional but not too often though. I accept there are dead set 'sh1t heads' in the world, who for whatever reason create mayhem, you only have to try and absorb the 'sh1t head' things going on around the world in recent times, but there are things of not such a news worthy nature happening right here in the inland Pilbara, no bugger swinging axes on the trains in this part of the world, yet there are massive trains running on rail networks that honestly defy logic, all carrying hundreds of thousands of tonnes of our heritage that shipped off to whom ever is willing to pay for it ~ today.

I headed out of town ~ north along highway 95, through the spine of the Ophthalmia Range at Cathedral Gorge then up into or onto the lower hill country that makes up the bulk of Mount Newman, nothing challenging and no where near to tackling the track to the 1055 metre summit, but good enough off road stuff to warrant using low range 2nd speed and the rear diff lock, not soft yet not hard in four wheel driving degrees of difficulty.

I scrabbled my way up to a vantage point from where the views and scenery are magnificent even for someone like me who has been there countless times, never getting sick of the views, but today it was different, very different actually as the track system I could see heading into what is known locally as Stewart's Pool has been dressed up, re-defined and widened so there is easy/safe access into that part of the range country, not for you and not for me ~ just the resource company and their contractors, with lots of CB radio chatter between 'supervision and a drilling crew'.

My guess is that there will be a locked gate or boom gate deeper along the redefined track, no access to some of the most visually stunning gorge and waterholes in that tract of land, with the ever increasing size/footprint of Rio Tinto's Hope Downs - 4 mining operations all access will be denied to the general public.

Hopefully this post is not taken as a accusing finger point at anyone working in or for a resource company, the post is in actual fact an "epitaph"

Much has already changed and much more is set to change ~ just a real shame You may never see or experienced it personally.

Safe travels : Joe Fury
IMGP4273.JPG
IMGP3965.JPG

what ever 2014 749.JPG
what ever 2014 697.JPG
what ever 2014 686.JPG
IMGP4271.JPG

what ever 2014 127.jpg

what ever 2014 097.jpg

Aaron Schubert

It's a shame that mining causes so much damage. The Pilbara area is stunning, but mining has done a heap of damage.

Who get's to draw the line as to what's ok and what's not?

Aaron

Spooner

Hopefully this post is not taken as a accusing finger point at anyone working in or for a resource company, the post is in actual fact an "epitaph"
I don't see why it would offend anyone mate . We all have a job , mine is watching things getting demolished and then carting it away and tipping it somewhere . It is what it is. Sometimes I feel real sad watching beautiful old buildings and magnificent trees , get ripped down in the name of progress.
But it is what it is.

smitty_r51

Can we leave out the old, i am the other side of 40 and only today we were commenting on when they draw the line and consider the future and the population and not just the $$$$

This was discussing fracking in Qld

Spooner

Can we leave out the old, i am the other side of 40 and only today we were commenting on when they draw the line and consider the future and the population and not just the $$$$

This was discussing fracking in Qld
Having seen what has happened there , Makes Vic strong in fighting fracking.
I work in the Urban destruction for Profit sector. I can't help that , But I can see what's going on :(

Albynsw

I don't know if it is happening elsewhere but there is a huge push on in Sydney of standard residential blocks being rezoned into medium and high density zones with lots of 3 to 8 story plus unit blocks being built

Of course the public infrastructure is not there to support the increased burden this will bring to us all and the quality of life will diminish as a result

The politicians bang on about the need to increase our population but why do we need to follow in the footsteps of other nations?

And all this mining...... We ruin the natural landscape and change the water table permanently
Throw a bit of topsoil on the ground and plant a few trees when we are finished and pretend it is all ok :rolleyes:

Are we really better off as a result?

Spooner

I don't know if it is happening elsewhere but there is a huge push on in Sydney of standard residential blocks being rezoned into medium and high density zones with lots of 3 to 8 story plus unit blocks being built
Of course it is mate , building the Slums of the Future.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
And all this mining...... We ruin the natural landscape and change the water table permanently
Throw a bit of topsoil on the ground and plant a few trees when we are finished and pretend it is all ok :rolleyes:

Are we really better off as a result?

Not at the price we sell if for to overseas buyers, a pittance, the big companies make plenty of course and pay stuff all (if any) tax to really sink the boot into the taxpayer.

80lover96gxl

Nice write up Joe.
It's sad that generations to come will never have the privilege to experience and explore area's that current and past generations have been so fortunate to do so.

Joe Fury

G'day Adventurers
I trust you won't mind that I am replying to you all, as a collective.

I appreciate your individual sentiments greatly, I also fully understand the need to earn a quid to live and be happy without becoming a liability because it is how it's meant to be and again I must stress that I have no angst with anyone in the resources industry on a personal level.

My eldest grandson is near enough to 15 years in age, but he'll never lay eyes on many geological features again that had been in existence since the earths creation and this part of the Pilbara has a geological time line scientifically proven at 2+ Billion years, it takes some serious thinking to realize our modern mining/resource industry has been allowed to 'delete' so much in a relatively very short 60 year time frame. There is so bloody much being done today that is outright wrong, but because it's approved or sanctioned by government, be that federal, state or local it must be okay.

I have the means and opportunity to wander the region and I have always taken a very keen interest in the history of the inland Pilbara, not just the history we clever white buggers have created, but absolutely everything about it right back to the very beginning of the earth itself.

I am fortunate to have met and to know some very knowledgeable people who actually 'know their shit' but sadly many of them are owned by the system, the very system doing the 'deleting'.

It is quite humbling to be alone in a place of significance, where the land it self can be regarded as some of the first, to be sitting on a rock that is geologically 250 million years old, inscribed with an image painstakingly etched into it deep enough so it can be deciphered by a blind person, yet the petroglyph is near impossible to date with accuracy though the human time line in this region is proven to be 26,300 years.

But sadly that all seems irrelevant today ?

IMG_1173.JPG

IMG_1454.JPG
IMG_1429.JPG
IMG_1628.JPG
IMG_1580.JPG
IMG_1564.JPG

Joe Fury

I though I would show you some images of an area not more than 8 kilometres from my home town, I am only posting the images so you can get a closer look at my back yard the area is in and along the Ophthalmia Range(s) with many waterholes and gorges, ancient geology and incredible panoramic vistas along with magnificent Savannah range lands, old growth Mulga scrub, creek systems lined with Coolabah and Snappy Gum trees, with Spinifex covered hills and plains as far as the eyes can see, it would be pointless going on about the wildlife, only because to many they are 'feral' ~ Brumbies, Camel, Dingo's and wild dogs, all mixed in with brush tailed Wallabies, Kangaroo and the diminutive but very industrious Pebble Mouse, plant species to rival any botanic garden and some yet to be categorized let alone be given a botanical name, should I mention the significance of certain places to the People of the land?

Probably not worth the hassle after all it's just unallocated Crown Land, shame about the neighbours yes people the 'clock is ticking' ~ it's all a mining lease.

Last months of 2015 038.JPG

Last months of 2015 061.JPG

Last months of 2015 064.JPG

Last months of 2015 108.JPG

Last months of 2015 112.JPG

Last months of 2015 241.JPG

Last months of 2015 305.JPG

Last months of 2015 029.JPG

Last months of 2015 078.JPG

Last months of 2015 122.JPG

Joe Fury

I was out and about last Saturday (23/7/16) ~ headed in towards Stewart's Pool/Gorge on the redefined track I had mentioned earlier in the post, this track is only 32K's north of town and prior to 'redefining' the track would have been rated as hard core four wheel drive in some sections ~ not now, as all steep rocky sections have been bulldozed and smoothed out, the degree of off road ability required to negotiate this track is now zero.

The valley system that now has several exploration drill pads and tracks through it, was earlier this year ~ inaccessible.
Some of the core test drill holes exceed 100 metres in depth, with ore sample heaps laid out on the surface to excite the geologists.

Sadly this is possibly the beginning of the end for 'Otto's Gorge, Stewart's Pool/Gorge and the upper reaches of Kalgan Creek, it is now impossible to not hear the moan of earth moving machinery even though the Hope Downs 4 mine is just over 5 kilometres away.
IMGP4297.JPG

IMGP4298.JPG

IMGP4289.JPG

IMGP4326.JPG

IMGP4307.JPG

IMGP4279.JPG

IMGP4331.JPG

IMGP4332.JPG

BIGCOL

Hi Joe,
I very much appreciate your sentiments and photos, I concur completely with what you have stated through these posts. We have but one planet and if we don't come to our senses re how we treat it then I'm afraid the results will be very sad for all.
I do my bit, and although it's like belting your head against a brick wall time after time, I know that I will be able to look my children and grandchildren in the eye and say at least I tried to leave the planet in as good a state as I could for them.
Col.

Joe Fury

Hi Joe,
I very much appreciate your sentiments and photos, I concur completely with what you have stated through these posts. We have but one planet and if we don't come to our senses re how we treat it then I'm afraid the results will be very sad for all.
I do my bit, and although it's like belting your head against a brick wall time after time, I know that I will be able to look my children and grandchildren in the eye and say at least I tried to leave the planet in as good a state as I could for them.
Col.
G'day Col
Thanks for the kind words, hopefully the forum members and anyone that cares to read and view the posted words and images fully understand that I have no grief with any person who chooses to work in the resources industry, sadly mining is not a gentle thing, not on the people working in or for it and absolutely not gentle on the land or the environment, what pisses me off deeply, is the glib way all politicians accept what they have simply rubber stamped, the miners are working within the guidelines, it's just a crying shame the guidelines are so vague yet all encompassing.

The WA state pollies were crowing about how ahead things are with the treatment of what they call waste water, which in actual fact is highly treated effluent, they intend pumping back into the ground water aquifers, to drought proof Perth ~ yet here in the Pilbara aquifers are being pumped out so the mines can go deeper and well below the natural water table, admittedly some of the water is used to grow fodder crops such as Rio Tinto's Rhodes Grass project in the Hammersley Ranges but there are other mines sites where the same resource company is allowed to pump the ground water out of the aquifer ~ pipe it tens of kilometres away and discharge it into a creek system some where else, creating artificial wetlands and possibly screwing with the environment.
IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_2555.JPG
Last months of 2015 234.JPG