Im sick of buying cheap chinese crap (KUTSNAKE Review)

Why is the 4wd industry flooded with cheap chinese products for our 4wds? I have bought numerous items for my 4wd and some products last and some break very quickly.

I recently bought an alloy roof rack from Kut Snake 4x4 accessories and after 12 months and 15 days a section cracked all the way through.

Ive seem TJM alloy racks over 15 years old!

Because it was 15 days out of warranty i never heard back from them until i finally pestered them enough that they replied saying not their problem - go get it welded.

The welder said it was cheap thin alloy and basically a hunk of junk.

Im getting sick of poor customer service from places that sell cheap chinese stuff to make a quick buck then fob you when something goes wrong.

Ive learnt my lesson - time for a rhino rack!

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Why is the 4wd industry flooded with cheap chinese products for our 4wds?
Because that is in general what the consumer wants . . . cheap / cheaper.
If customers continue to purchase cheap, pretty much consumable goods with limited lifespan, that is what the market will make.
Marketing 101.

Of course not all retailers sell for the cheaper price, with their customers relating a higher price to quality.
They just make 300%, 400% or whatever vs half that normal margin for a better built item.

All this came in after the advent of Ebay, better internet access to pricing, searches etc, people just saw that pricing was fluid, they could haggle (yeah, those haggle businesses are in the mix of responsibility too !), and now price seems to be the #1 market driver.

Can't see this changing much anytime in the future.

vk1dx

Because that is in general what the consumer wants . . . cheap / cheaper.

Can't see this changing much anytime in the future.
That's for sure Les. It is rare for a thread not to mention the common requests for the "cheaper" or "lower cost" products. I really don't blame people, as it's not a cheap hobby. Even a pre-trip inspection is a few hundred dollars and what about fuel in remote communities. We paid $3.80 a litre at Kunawaratjii.

I don't like wasting my pension either, but it is what it is - an expensive hobby. As we travel solo a lot to the deserts it would not be a happy Phil to find the rack broken or a shockie snapped. It has happened and we will go back to Bilsteins. No I wont say what maker. It's a good product by a good mob. Just bad luck.

Maybe some, and not for all, should have never purchased a 4wd.

Phil

vk1dx

Good to see a local manufacturer of roof racks still around . . .

Trouble with those is, they are great tradesmans racks, but without mesh on them, pretty much useless for 4WDrs.

Edit, I see a few there now with a grille type floor available, maybe it's an option with the full racks too.
We have a steel ARB tourer rack (for the RTT) and I simply added some aluminium mesh.

Phil

My post from a while ago about Kut Snake..... I, myself will never touch them based on what happen below......

"A picture of my car, parked in front of my house used without my permission by a 4x4 accessory retailer (Kut Snake 4x4) to sell a product which is not what was pictured.

They are selling a cheap and nasty $199 snorkel whilst picturing a $600 Safari Snorkel. Not ethical and not doubt not legal.

The add has now been removed after I made a complaint to Gumtree"

Bomber2012

My post from a while ago about Kut Snake..... I, myself will never touch them based on what happen below......

"A picture of my car, parked in front of my house used without my permission by a 4x4 accessory retailer (Kut Snake 4x4) to sell a product which is not what was pictured.

They are selling a cheap and nasty $199 snorkel whilst picturing a $600 Safari Snorkel. Not ethical and not doubt not legal.

The add has now been removed after I made a complaint to Gumtree"

How did they get your pic Tornado ?

oetkb

I actually have a "tradesmans" roof rack for sale to fit a cruiser if you want, mesh in- fill, front wind deflector and a side awning included. Screwed up my measurements before purchase second hand then realised at home it wont fit a 70 series.

smitty_r51

Good to see a local manufacturer of roof racks still around . . .

Trouble with those is, they are great tradesmans racks, but without mesh on them, pretty much useless for 4WDrs.

Edit, I see a few there now with a grille type floor available, maybe it's an option with the full racks too.
Mate has one on his pathy. just a mesh floor not a platform.

Best bit is they used the factory holes rather than mine that had to have tracks fitted

Because it was 15 days out of warranty i never heard back from them until i finally pestered them enough that they replied saying not their problem - go get it welded!
It is their problem, consumer law says it must be fit for purpose, 15 days out of warranty I would say not fit for purpose, talk to consumer affairs

Albynsw

It is their problem, consumer law says it must be fit for purpose, 15 days out of warranty I would say not fit for purpose, talk to consumer affairs
I have mixed feelings on that. I get that that is the law but there should be some responsibility with the consumer for their poor decision shouldn't there?
You have done your research and the wiz bank properly made item costs X but you choose to buy the cheapie version that costs a quarter of that and expect it to perform the same?

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Yeah, suppose a roof rack or bullbar, you'd expect maybe 10 years, perhaps even lifetime of the vehicle for the bar.
But buying cheap, how much does that erode expectations of longevity ?

Mr Rum

4x4 Earth Legend
Price is not longer a determinate for quality.
This is a quote taken directly from the ACCC website..

"Products must be of acceptable quality, that is:

• safe, lasting, with no faults
  • look acceptable
  • do all the things someone would normally expect them to do.
Acceptable quality takes into account what would normally be expected for the type of product and cost."

Price mightn't guarantee quality, but it does give you a stronger leg to stand on if you have to rely on the ACCC to resolve a dispute.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Taken from the ACCC website.:eek:.
Don't expect them to help, they are a joke.:rolleyes:.
The ACCC
Contact the ACCC for information about your consumer rights and obligations, and possible courses of action you might take. While we don’t resolve individual complaints, we will use the information you provide to help us understand what issues are causing the most harm to Australian business and consumers, and where to focus our compliance and enforcement efforts.