Change background image

iDrive throttle control

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by nick boab, Jul 3, 2017.

1. nick boab

nick boab New Member

I was looking for information on the iDrive or similar throttle control gadgets .
    any previous posts ~ likes or problems ~ comments etc
    I have a px ranger 6 speed manual that i find has a very little response in low revs , is this gadget likely to help ??
    regards nick

2. Jackolux

Jackolux Active Member

3. BIGCOL

BIGCOL Well-Known Member

I purchased one yesterday Nick, I'll fit it on the weekend and report back. Everyone who has fitted one raves about it, I hope I do as well.

I have a 2012 BT50.

Col.

nick boab and Albynsw like this.
  4. smitty_r51

smitty_r51 Well-Known Member

I thought the idrive just intercepted the throttle commands

So if you push the throttle 10% the idrive tells the engine 40%

Just means you get to 100% sooner.

It is a 4x4 not a sports car... Chill out and be thankful it is not a 2.8 patrol

Or have i missed something

Mr Rum, nick boab and Jaye like this.
  5. IvanTheTerrible

IvanTheTerrible Well-Known Member

4x4 accessory sales people could sell ice to Eskimos

6. Jackolux

Jackolux Active Member

Not everyone , some are easily fooled , I admit my first thoughts were " gee wow " .

7. BIGCOL

BIGCOL Well-Known Member

How good is this, been driving it for only 1 day, far more responsive, far better to drive, towing my works trailer only. I look forward to seeing how it goes without the trailer on the weekend.
    No one sold it to me, did my research and I am already very happy and money well spent. All power to the snake oil salesmen if they sell things that make such a difference to the drivability of someones car, as this does.
    Alby knows what I'm talking about.
    Col.

Albynsw and komaterpillar like this.
  8. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

Hahaha, I was biting my tongue waiting to see what you thought of it. Makes the vehicle much nicer to drive doesn't it.

BIGCOL likes this.
  9. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

Changing the throttle to peddle ratio has the same performance gains as fat unfit
    people wearing Reeboks and Lycra.

boobook, Mr Rum and smitty_r51 like this.
  10. Albynsw

Nobody is saying it gives more power, it just makes the peddle feel less doey and more responsive.

Have you tried one? BTW when you fit a performance chip this mod is incorporated into it.

BIGCOL likes this.
  11. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

I like my dinosaur diesel, I just hit it harder with a bigger stick.
    I do fully understand how they work and why they feel more responsive, but as you say 0%
    performance gain. Just like the reeboks and lycra.

12. BIGCOL

BIGCOL Well-Known Member

You are right Alby, why anyone would criticise something that makes your car feel better/nicer to drive has got me stuffed. No extra performance, it does not give you more power, it just gives you what was there already quicker, making the car feel more responsive. The one I have has 18 different settings for a number of different scenarios and it is not just about having quicker acceleration.
    So to answer Nicks original question, yes with the Idrive unit, the vehicle will feel more responsive in low gears and at low revs.

Col.

nick boab and Albynsw like this.
  13. Albynsw

I don't have an issue if someone has tried a product and doesn't like it but most who critisise this product have not even tried one :rolleyes:

RBJET and BIGCOL like this.
  14. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

I'm just throwing this out there for consideration, a lot of modern vehicles actually
    have this lag built in to help protect there drive line Eg: dual mass flywheels and CVs.

15. IvanTheTerrible

IvanTheTerrible Well-Known Member

Does anybody have an issue with a cheap bit of Chinese junk having control of their throttle? If it fails it could stick the throttle wide open.

boobook likes this.
  16. Jackolux

Jackolux Active Member

These things fool a lot of people, I admit my iDrive fooled me for a start I thought it was great but you get exactly the same result by pushing the throttle a bit further , I have even had some tell me the Cruise Control reacts better with a throttle control that can't happpen .
    I wish they would make one that could be used like a hand throttle for winching ect , they then might be useful
    I have had the iDrive for probably 2 years , I dunno why I haven't removed it , perhaps I will anyone want a cheap iDrive for a Dmax ?

17. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Can you install two in series? Go even faster? You know like a second turbo?
    Tink

smitty_r51 likes this.
  18. Albynsw

Mine was made in Europe

19. RBJET

RBJET Active Member

You know where I find it helps.
    When you're sitting at an intersection and you have to jump in between cars to merge. It doesn't matter how hard you press the peddle, there is still a hesitation there and for the second the car sits there not moving till the throttle opens your gap to merge gets much smaller.
    The throttle controller eliminates that.

20. nick boab

nick boab New Member

thanks for the replies . also for link to the other post of the same http://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?threads/i-drive.39226/
    It is my understanding that in these later model vehicles have a built in throttle delay to control fuel consumption < unused fuel < emission etc ??
    and standing ,jumping or anything else is not going to change this ..... is this correct ???
    when i was looking around for a replacement for the 3.2 triton i found that none of the newer ute's had the same " PUNCH " down low....( revs )
    plenty of power , torque , etc.... but NO PUNCH .... i was thinking hoping this maybe the answer ???
    cheers nick