idle pulley ?

phs

iv had a few dramas in the past and now with the idle pulley off my BJ70 cruiser (3B diesel)
im useing a 3 1/2" - b pulley but the bearing keeps going on it last time it went was at eppalock it spat the belt to and stuffed the fan this time i heard something and pulled over and just as i went to turn the car of it went flying out of the bonnet missing a mates head by a few mm.

after it went the first time i honned the pulley out got a bigger bearing and locked it in tight with a ser clip but once again after 20,000 kms its gone. both times it has gone after big trip where the 4by has been swimming so im guessing the cold water on the hot bearing does'nt help .... so what to do ???

any one know where i can get a ready to go pulley so i just get it and put it on have ing to get it machined and a bearing done takes too much time i dont have. any one know any good pulley places in melb or any good ideas on how to fix it ?

forgot to mention its a power steering idle pulley

phs

is there any one on her that has got a 3b diesel that can tell me the right pulley size and what size bearing ?

i can get a pulley easy enought but need to know what bearing too i did over size it after it went the first time but still only lasted 20,000 kms

Pure Yobbo

is there any one on her that has got a 3b diesel that can tell me the right pulley size and what size bearing ?

i can get a pulley easy enought but need to know what bearing too i did over size it after it went the first time but still only lasted 20,000 kms

Mud Means Money Mate. Thats why things arn't lasting two long.

I had a Hilux like that I spent forever fixing it after playing in the Mud.

phs

everything els seems to last ok (touch wood) just this stupid idle pulley.

like iv said befor its not the right pulley on there the guy befor me did a handy man fix it job with an aftermarket pulley and bearing it went a day after the car did a few lake crossings, -(i retained the same pulley upsize the bearing by 1 size), this time it went after a few days out 4x4ing where the car went into water. iv got no doubt the water isnt helping it .

but if i could put back on there whats ment to be there it might work better (maybe) worth a shot beats replaceing a belt a fan and a pulley every time it go's

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
Is the idler pulley a weak point????

Is something else a little stronger, loading it up?? Bent crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer, air con, etc?
Is there damage to the pulley itself and causing imbalance?

phs

to be honest the only thing that could be a problem is maybe the mount needs a packer (maybe) as when i fitted it last the pulley seemed to sit a tiny bit further back than the main p/s pulley this one belt only drives the p/s.

it was so slight you could only just see that there not 100% at the same level.
but im sure it makes some what of a diff my plan was to pack out with a small washer this time.

but still need to know what size and pulley and type and size of bearing is the right one
my intentions are to fix this right this time and not have to worrie about it again cause i can just tell if i just put it back on it will probly go when im in the middle of no where and fly through the radiator or something worse.

it's bad enough going 4x4ing with one 4by alot of the time even worse when you know theres a weak piont that could go at any time

as for the pulley on that was on there, i dunno if its out of balance it been modified that may times who knows. to the eye it spins true but thats not to say it does

Last edited: