ICOM 7100

Anyone using the Icom 7100, multi band transceiver? ie. HF, VHF, UHF
I was just going to get a UHF for convoy use and a bit of extra comms security, but HF has so much better range and of course direct RFDS comms. I know satphone is the ultimate backup in theory but I've had them fail for various reasons on work trips that I'd prefer the belt and bracers approach. Plus the DSTAR function looks very interesting.

I am comfortable with HF comms but what I am not sure about is whether the 7100 is as easy to use in UHF mode as a dedicated UHF transceiver would be.

I'm also wondering how many travellers would use HF these days?

Ditch

I am comfortable with HF comms but what I am not sure about is whether the 7100 is as easy to use in UHF mode as a dedicated UHF transceiver would be.
Don`t know if you are a licenced radio operator or not but the 7100 will only transmit on the Amateur Bands not the CB band or RFDS.

the 7100 will only transmit on the Amateur Bands
Hmm hadn't noticed that, but apparently there is a mod if I'd like to void warranty. Don't have a license as was covered by work, but will get one soon or VKS sub. Rather irritating to not be able to use RFDS freqs.

Ditch

apparently there is a mod
Had a read up about the "mod". Still won`t transmit or receive on the UHF band after the mod which allows it to TX/RX from 420 - 470 MHz. UHF CB uses 477 MHz. You can`t use DSTAR or transmit on the Amateur Bands unless you are licensed & have been issued a callsign.

If you are interested in getting an Amateur License have a look at http://www.wia.org.au/.

Anyway, it is illegal to modify any radio to transmit outside its approved bands. Up to you whether you get one & modify it but the authorities (ACMA) don`t take these things lightly.
If you are looking for emergency HF comms I`d look at VKS & buy or lease a Codan or Barret radio & have another radio for UHF.

boobook

Had a read up about the "mod". Still won`t transmit or receive on the UHF band after the mod which allows it to TX/RX from 420 - 470 MHz. UHF CB uses 477 MHz. You can`t use DSTAR or transmit on the Amateur Bands unless you are licensed & have been issued a callsign.

If you are interested in getting an Amateur License have a look at http://www.wia.org.au/.

Anyway, it is illegal to modify any radio to transmit outside its approved bands. Up to you whether you get one & modify it but the authorities (ACMA) don`t take these things lightly.
If you are looking for emergency HF comms I`d look at VKS & buy or lease a Codan or Barret radio & have another radio for UHF.
Ditch is on the money.
The mod is the so called Mars Mod. As Distch says, it wont help. Neither will a 7100 in general.

Worked in HF all my life, hoped to use it for personal stuff when I retire soon, but the rules, compliance and crippled hardware BS is not worth the hassle. Satphone it is.

denmonkey

yes mate, running a 7100 in the Pajero. (licensed Ham)
7100.jpg
The advice above is correct. it is an amatuer radio and out of the box will only transmit on amateur bands.
This will not include your VKS frequencies.
Yes, it can be modded but will still not cover cb uhf as mentioned.
Whilst this would make is usable on the VKS frequencies, such a modification and use will make it illegal.
I can confirm through experience thatwhen the ACMA find out they will get in touch with a threat of fees and jail terms. I only got to threat stage before fixing a radio that was purchased 'modded' :D
They were pretty good but I didn't want to push my luck.
Plus the mod requires removing surface mount diodes which are about 3rd the size of a grain of rice. Hard enough to see let alone work with.

there's also the wrath of amatuer radio operators if they find out about it. (see my experience above)

to be honest your last reply of 'the rules, compliance and crippled hardware BS is not worth the hassle' tells me you shouldn't be buying this radio.
Amateur radio operators study and take tests to be able to operate their gear legally and this keeps the bands free of the cb type who can just by a radio and key up. I know you've heard them on the repeaters. :(
If it's something you want though, amateur radio guys will be more than happy to guide you through the process to make it happen, but you have to earn it , not buy it.

All that understood Denmonkey, but to be clear I earned it with 35+ years of HF and ionospheric R&D. I understand you need to keep the tools off the air, but I don't understand how knobbling a HF/UHF transceiver will help that considering you can just buy 2+ transceivers and access all frequencies anyway (yes with appropriate licences). Maybe it's cost thing that certifying the 7100 for all frequencies is too expensive, but I suspect it's more about selling more transceivers, and as with most hobbies the more gear the better so the users aren't complaining. Anyway, I ain't buying it, and as there is no all in one HF/UHF transceiver I'll not likely bother with HF.

Last edited:

denmonkey

There's a few all band all mode radios like the 7100 in the amateur market but none that can be used on uhf cb modded or otherwise.
it's more a case that they're made for overseas markets and their cb equivalents fall under 470Mhz where the cut off usually is.
If you have some experience and know a bit about it, I think you'd find the at the very least the foundation licence level easy to pass.

A mate just headed of on an Aus tour and grabbed a sat phone ( I know you said not real keen) and it was less then the price you would pay for the 7100.
Nice looking unit too.
That said, you can't just have a general chat on that to pass time like you can on a hf radio.
Did I mention how cool it looked though ?

Yeah, I'd really like the chance to stay 'in touch' with HF as I will be leaving this career soon, but too many other hobbies and duties to spend much time on it let alone money. I hoped that since a UHF CB was going to cost around $400 then the all in one at $1400 looked viable, especially if I could fool around with DSTAR or similar, but sadly not. I don't mind the licensing, it's no barrier, it's the artificial hardware limits that would drive me mad - I spent my life removing HF hardware limitations.