i need help on tyres !!!!!!!!!

Bruzer

:confused: i dont no what tyres i should get i need good sum sugestions on sum good A/T tyres with out braking the buget wen i go on tracks i never no what to expect sum times its muddy or rocky but i need them to be resonablely good on the road so if anyone has any idears plz!!!!!!!!!:eek:

TheGbert

I am soon to be getting some Yokohamas

The Geolander A/T-s look the goods to me a good open tread good side wall protection lugs and for my size 235/65r17 they are under 300 each compared to bridgstones d694's that are around 360 each and less agressive with less sidewall protection.

The BF Goodrich ATs are not that different in tread pattern to those of 15 yrs and older albeit the technolgy of construction might be different the rest is not they more like a light truck tyre than a 4x4 tyre..MY OPINION THOUGH so dont shoot me for it I have had these tyres in the past and they did perform well in all terrains except for wet clay..tread became clogged..and yes any AT tyre would in wet clay...

checkout bobjane dot com dot au

Hope this helps I also found a video of these tyres, a promo doco of sorts, but cannot remember the link the d694 bridgestones also have a doco video on the bridgestone website check it out they where extensivley tested in the flinders ranges but like i said price keeps me away and steers me to the Geolander A/T-s also look at Pirrelli scorpions as they are a great tyre too again not as aggressive as the geolanders though

I hope this helps and doesn't complicate the matter anymore...cheers

Suggest heading to a tyre place and checking the tread patterns out they may not have your size but will have at least one size of each tyre...food for thought

gibbonTSAM

Hey Bruzer,

I recently got a set of pro comp extreme a/t's which are mid way between a standard a/t and a mud. so far they haven't let me down and they aren't that noisy on the rd either. they cost about 320 each I think from memory, but keep in mind they are directional so make sure they are fitted correctly when first put on your rig.

Sean

phs

Kingo has micky t atz's on the patrol seem to go very well

Last edited:

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
The BFG's are good. The pattern may not have changed much but they still work extremely well. The last price I got on them were 235-245 dollars per trye

phs

The BFG's are good. The pattern may not have changed much but they still work extremely well. The last price I got on them were 235-245 dollars per trye

i dunno about that many people are for and against BF A/t's my mate has them in the mud there useless at best, good on gravel and alright on the black top but in the wet not so good the tread blocks are fairly close and under hard braking the bunch together like a slick, (so i have heard from a tyre expert). i must say good on lose stones thow.

id def. go the ATZ's personally but each to there own....

my mate wont be buying another set of BF A/t's

Deceptacon Suby

Geos....

Im running Goelanders and they haven't let me down yet. The price is a bit of a let down though (mainly cause i'm a broke ass and i got them in Mackay and everything is more expensive there). I would recommend them...

Bruzer

thanks mate that helps alot i will check the geolanders out bu has any one herd off (sava) tyres i saw a set on an old cruiser today they look like they werwe A/T-s and they look fairly chunky but my buget is about $280 and my tyre size is 275/70 R16 im running maxis tyres at the moment they are pretty good on and offroad but i want sumthing with a bit more tread.

Bruzer

thanks mate that helps alot i will check the geolanders out bu has any one herd off (sava) tyres i saw a set on an old cruiser today they look like they werwe A/T-s and they look fairly chunky but my buget is about $280 and my tyre size is 275/70 R16 im running maxis tyres at the moment they are pretty good on and offroad but i want sumthing with a bit more tread.:D

cloughcarib

I was impressed by the aggressive pattern on the silverstone A/T I just picked for a spare for $205 (but it's only a 31). Don't know anything about it's reputation though.

I used to have Savero's on my HJ60 Landcruiser and they were excellent on and off-road.

ohmyfj55

Tyres and many choices.

Hi Bruiser,

just commented on your Ravenshoe comment.

All i can give you is the current expeirience. Have run Pirelli Scorpion A/Ts and currently run 235/85x16 BFG A/Ts.

Have read good things about Coopers but also that they can get too hard and develop fatigue cracks as they last so long.

With the pirelli tyres, great on the road and were good over rocks and gravel but not so over more slippery stuff, good price though

As for the skinny BFG's (on a six inch rim) i ran these in a recent competition in stock class down on 20psi and managed to get through all stages successfully, including the large boghole.

As i have found with many different products these days, it seems to be so many decent products for choice, coming down to budget and personal choice.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Nathan

They are very stable on the road in either wet or dry

Evan

:confused: i dont no what tyres i should get i need good sum sugestions on sum good A/T tyres with out braking the buget wen i go on tracks i never no what to expect sum times its muddy or rocky but i need them to be resonablely good on the road so if anyone has any idears plz!!!!!!!!!:eek:

hi there its always a hard call about ATS or MTS ,mud rocks and road ,,it depends on your driving habits mate , i use mts on my 80 series my whole life and my wife drives with them in the rain an and has all the kids in the car and is fine because she just cruises along with traffic and theres no dramas but if you want to tail gate in heavy traffic and drive like a boy racer then they wont be for you ,,MTS give you a bit of rd noise but it dont bother me,and with the mts its a lot nicer on the diffs and cvs in muddy conditions because you have more positive traction and you dont bunny hop and scuff as much as if you had ats ,,hope this is some type of help its down to your habits as eveyone is different and has there own opinion

Hey there...
I found this web site very useful coz you can have a look and compare the pattern...
Off Road Tire Guide for Mud and All Terrain Tires - Offroaders.com
Before I got the MT's on I had the Federal ATZ - they surprised me by being very good in almost all terrain... but - then they surprised me again by being so bad 3/4 worn and 25 000 km later...
so no way back to them...
For what I've heard from a lot of people-
BFG , MT- ATZ ( 4 rib), Pirelli Scorpion, Yokohama Geolader - should be worth a go...
Look at them and see what you like best...
I personally like the Yokohama and the BFG the most....

cheers

Tom

Ln65er

I have bridgestone sand duelers, they are an old design and cheap but work ok for what I need, good on graval ,good on road, ok on sand not so good in thick mud, I have put them through a steep hill climb a few times with open diffs and they got me through.

phs

i know its been said befor and im going to say it again...

2 sets of tyres are such a better option,

for the many stand out reasons running m/ts every day on the black top isnt not a very affective option.

i know it cost a little more but only once then it actually works out much cheaper...

i all day run crapy 31' a/t's cost me 150 a tyre done 40,000 clicks have heaps of tread left, much better in all situations on the black top than the baja claws that where on it.

i bought a set of pro comp M/t's 33' i put them of when i go out still have 70% and have been heavly used every chance iv had in the last 2 years. never let me down in any situation..

pros and cons:

pros: a/t's every day driveing is much better, no noise, good grip in the wet, much better on fuel, better tyre wear, saveing lots of $$$$$$$ especially when the tyres are 150 each...

cons: you need to change to your other set befor going bush.

pro's: m/t's in the bush are better in every situation, makes it much easyer on the 4x4 to get from a to b, last for ages as there only used in the bush, less chance of acidents and damage in the bush.

cons: you need to change back to road set once home...

overall the saving for me would be heaps, if i ran 33' m/ts every day id be chewing fuel and expenive tyre's for no reson... over 2 sets of tyres my saveing would be well worth haveing to chance them every trip out, and once on they preform 100%

to cut a long story short use the right tyre for the right situation..

if you want good a/t's for the bush, you are better off in the long run getting a set of cheap every day tyres and a good set of m/ts for the bush

Last edited:

4WDN

4x4 Earth Contributer
I have a set of BFG AT that i think are good for say desert and beach trips, and even places like cape york. they dont get many flats.
I have a set of MTs mtz that i use in the high country during the dry, good over rocks and stuff.
But i think if you are going to be in mud, you should have a good set of muddys.
It is hard, and they are not cheap.

Bruzer

Thanks fellas that really helped alot and i think im going to go with the maxxis bravo 751 im running a set now and they are pretty much slicks now but they are still good in the mud and all and they have not let me down so thanks anyways CHEERS!!!!!!!