I bought a UNIMOG!

G_ute

Well Stedi is an Australian company and the stuff is designed in-house.
No doubt made somewhere else like China.
At least they are ADR-compliant, for RHD. Unlike most.

G_ute

Checkout the fruit on this one in Vic. Big bucks spent.

mog.jpg

Barra GU

20210804_211254.jpg

Ended up putting led headlights in the mog. I can actually see now when I drive. Definitely a much needed mod on an ex army not as their original lights were pretty pathetic. The second pic is with light bar and hi beams on

Attachments

• 20210804_211221.jpg
    20210804_211221.jpg
    741 KB · Views: 15

Barra GU

So on the Sunday that passed I was out for a late lunch with the family when I got the call you didn't wanna here from brother #5 . Brother #2 managed to get his bobcat bogged pretty badly up at the farm in Barwite and was leaning over pretty badly.
He had recently purchased a 79 series dual cab cruiser and radio's the Mrs to bring it down the bottom.of the paddock to try their best to get it out but in the process managed to get it stuck too (bugger).
Though the cruiser is dead stock it really stood no chance trying to snatch the 3t bobcat out of the swamp.
So nek minute at 2.30 in the arvo I've jumped in the mog and headed off from the inner eastern suburbs of Melbourne and headed to the farm just out of Mansfield.

Bro 2 ended up there before me and they managed to free up the cruiser but no matter what they did they couldn't free up the bobcat.

A bit of background- ever since I bought the MOG my entire family has been giving me absolute sh*t about it.
The laugh, they make jokes, what the hell would you even need something like that. It's ridiculous! Any opportunity to laugh about the rig in convo it always comes up.
Well, the look on their faces when this thing rocks up, goes down to the back paddock on 30psi tyre pressures (dropped from 90psi) and lined it up hooked up to the back of the bobcat with the army PTO winch and pull this badly bogged bobcat that had been sucked into the mud for over 6 hours.

Like the mog didn't even budge. Those pto winches are absolutely amazing. They have their cons but when it comes to recoveries they can run all day/,night, don't bog down and just pull like a freight train.

After getting it out they all were laughing and stood in disbelief. Before you know it he drives 10 metres and manages to get it bogged again. Well what do you know, the old mog saves the day again.

It's fair to say and the word around the family now is that they're never laughing at the mog again. It wasn't it's stripes and the families respect over the weekend that's for sure.

Anyway I'll post some pics below but if I can add the video I will.
Enjoy

Attachments

• IMG_20210803_053026_634.jpg
    IMG_20210803_053026_634.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 48

Barra GU

Video too large to share so uploading an Instagram link to my profile to view

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210804-213321_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210804-213321_Gallery.jpg
    761.6 KB · Views: 32

4Runner4Freedom

Hi there folks,
Its been a while since I've ventured onto the forum and to be honest, if it wasn't a place where I could store build info I probably wouldn't have returned.
I have been a little off the forum because I have frequented this place for many years adding valuable info on my patrols build page... In fact 38 pages of it... Then magically it disappeared.

I had asked on numerous occasions from moderators if I could at least get access to my thread so I can have this valuable info back and I have had zero to no help, so before anyone says why am i sour well I guess you put yourself in my shoes and maybe you will understand.

Anyway, enough airing of the dirty laundry, thought I'd take the opportunity to let you guys know (and a place to store my valuable build info) that I purchased an Ex ADF1985 Mercedes Benz Unimog.

Below I will be documenting info and pictures of the rig.
Anyway so without further adieu here are some pics of my new old rig.
Mate, I'm new to the forum and was planning on starting a new build thread. This doesn't bode well. Were the mods able to tell you what happened to your thread? Also, put up some pics of the Unimog!!

Lost1?

Mate, I'm new to the forum and was planning on starting a new build thread. This doesn't bode well. Were the mods able to tell you what happened to your thread? Also, put up some pics of the Unimog!!
Threads get locked when parts of it gets personal. Not sure what the background was that triggered it all. But it was enough for the mods to delete the thread.

Anyway, welcome to the site. Plenty of good info or amusing OT mines better than your's commentary in threads on here.

Gary Wragg

I went for a ride in a SWB recently, with no tray or any weight on it. Roughest vehicle journey I have ever had. Physically assaulting.
That particular one was very much a farm implement and not for touring.

Watched this video recently, I bet this is a smoother ride:

That's what you'd call a TRUCKtor!

AngryWO

Hi there folks,
Its been a while since I've ventured onto the forum and to be honest, if it wasn't a place where I could store build info I probably wouldn't have returned.
I have been a little off the forum because I have frequented this place for many years adding valuable info on my patrols build page... In fact 38 pages of it... Then magically it disappeared.

I had asked on numerous occasions from moderators if I could at least get access to my thread so I can have this valuable info back and I have had zero to no help, so before anyone says why am i sour well I guess you put yourself in my shoes and maybe you will understand.

Anyway, enough airing of the dirty laundry, thought I'd take the opportunity to let you guys know (and a place to store my valuable build info) that I purchased an Ex ADF1985 Mercedes Benz Unimog.

Below I will be documenting info and pictures of the rig.
Anyway so without further adieu here are some pics of my new old rig.
Great truck drove them in ADF basically go anywhere.

Hoyks

maybe this is a stupid question, but can you get tyres on the bead at that size using the explosive gas method?
You probably can, but it isn't a good idea. The volume involved in truck tyres means that if you get your flammable spray to ignite the rapid expansion may blow things to bits.

linuxfan66

You probably can, but it isn't a good idea. The volume involved in truck tyres means that if you get your flammable spray to ignite the rapid expansion may blow things to bits.
wouldnt truck tyres be able to take the intial energy burst easily to bead?
much weaker car tyres dont go boom from doing so