I bought a UNIMOG!

Barra GU

Hi there folks,
Its been a while since I've ventured onto the forum and to be honest, if it wasn't a place where I could store build info I probably wouldn't have returned.
I have been a little off the forum because I have frequented this place for many years adding valuable info on my patrols build page... In fact 38 pages of it... Then magically it disappeared.

I had asked on numerous occasions from moderators if I could at least get access to my thread so I can have this valuable info back and I have had zero to no help, so before anyone says why am i sour well I guess you put yourself in my shoes and maybe you will understand.

Anyway, enough airing of the dirty laundry, thought I'd take the opportunity to let you guys know (and a place to store my valuable build info) that I purchased an Ex ADF1985 Mercedes Benz Unimog.

Below I will be documenting info and pictures of the rig.
Anyway so without further adieu here are some pics of my new old rig.

Barra GU

Screenshot_20210517-222259_Instagram.jpg

Triton14

A friend of mine has a fully kitted out Uni. think he has spent close to 300K on it, but hey you cant take it with you right ;)

uni1.jpg

Baggs71

drove one for many years...for god sake dont try to do 90 plus kph for hours on end!...they dont like it..just chill out on 80 and it wont burst into flames or drop dead ...enjoy!...
very good offroad indeed

G_ute

I went for a ride in a SWB recently, with no tray or any weight on it. Roughest vehicle journey I have ever had. Physically assaulting.
That particular one was very much a farm implement and not for touring.

Watched this video recently, I bet this is a smoother ride:

Lost1?

Change the turbo to something more modern for a fatter torque curve and regear the diffs for better revs when cruising. Baggs from my experience Mogs usually burst into flames as a result of poor maintenance practices.

I will wait for the flames from old maintainers after that one.

peterfermtech

We had one along on one of the Arrabri Ski Club 4wd trips. I have video of it doing the track to top of Mt Selwyn

Attachments

• Uni_Arrabri4wd_Nov18.JPG
    Uni_Arrabri4wd_Nov18.JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 19

Albynsw

What sort of build do you have in mind, travel truck , toy hauler or keeping it in tray form?

Hoyks

I went for a ride in a SWB recently, with no tray or any weight on it. Roughest vehicle journey I have ever had. Physically assaulting.
I did several hundred km as cargo. I could sleep in the back, so they didn't ride that badly, much better than walking.

You probably already have them, but if not, you can download the maintenance manuals and modification data here: