Change background image

HZJ105R LandCruiser

Discussion in 'My 4WD' started by BTFIVO, Mar 21, 2017.

1. BTFIVO

BTFIVO Well-Known Member

I think you are correct as people tell me there are two variants of the 1HZ. I would have thought that due to being a "workmate" style, the 105 would have the stronger 1HZ, but who knows, maybe they made the whole thing a poverty pack! :rolleyes:

Edit: 1HZ's made before 1998 have thicker piston crowns. So if you are chasing a 1HZ and can find a low mileage unit out of a 75 or 80 series, that would be the one to get.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    80lover96gxl likes this.
  2. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

Mine was the gxl, even had factory lockers:eek:, aircon and cup holders:p
    If only mr toyota had put the fte or even ft in the 105 as factory he would have made the ultimate all rounder.

BTFIVO, Rags90mod and usfour like this.
  3. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

Its a bit of an average kit though, crappy clearance with the lower control arms, all weld in which is a bit of a no-no with chassis and does not strengthen or fix the track.

JMACX is the way to go, beefed up diff, better clearance, proper track, all parts are off the shelf toyota from 80 series where needed.

Rags90mod, BTFIVO and 80lover96gxl like this.
  4. KMM4x4

KMM4x4 Active Member

You car simply wonderful. Brutal and beautiful SUV!

Mamikon

5. BTFIVO

BTFIVO Well-Known Member

Decided to go check out "Lemontree Track" and stretch the legs. Full flex. Was pretty wet in some areas and we got bogged many a time. Mate had a 76 series, his does very well with 3" lift and all the power. Spent half the day walking in slop but overall was awesome. So good having coils alround, the 105 soaked it up well. Last pic, we were both bogged with failed winches. Was able to repair the wiring in mine to get us both out.

PicsArt_04-17-06.31.06.jpg PicsArt_04-17-06.31.38.jpg PicsArt_04-17-06.32.15.jpg PicsArt_04-17-06.32.46.jpg PicsArt_04-17-05.25.37.jpg

phs, Rags90mod, 80lover96gxl and 2 others like this.
  6. BTFIVO

BTFIVO Well-Known Member

PicsArt_04-18-06.45.23.jpg PicsArt_04-18-06.46.18.jpg PicsArt_04-18-06.48.09.jpg Got 3 new dents and a heap of pinstripes, bent both my sidesteps up and nearly ripped the rear bumper off. Need a steel bar that sits higher with tyre carrier. Had some agressive creek crossings with you had to hit hard to pop the front wheels up and firewall it out and another winch job. I was surprised I didn't break any suspension or steering components.

View attachment 46301

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  7. BTFIVO

BTFIVO Well-Known Member

Scored a set of Genie headers for the fat girl, will compliment the exhaust I just had fitted and hopefully buy me some extra torque and time till a turbo upgrade is viable.

PicsArt_04-19-01.12.54.jpg PicsArt_04-19-01.13.46.jpg PicsArt_04-19-01.14.30.jpg

phs, komaterpillar, underdog and 2 others like this.
  8. BTFIVO

BTFIVO Well-Known Member

The beauty about an inline engine... Space!!! Oh... And being vertically challenged helps as well. :D
    Extractors are on, made a good bit of difference. New pump and injectors and I reckon would be good enough for a daily without the express need for a turbo unless you were towing decent weights.

PicsArt_04-21-01.28.00.jpg PicsArt_04-21-01.31.02.jpg PicsArt_04-21-01.29.26.jpg

LCV8VICTORIA, CruiserAd, phs and 5 others like this.
  9. BTFIVO

BTFIVO Well-Known Member

Well, finally found some goodies. Spare 5 speed box with 20,000klms, full reco upgraded with full-spline 5th gear and a 1HZ with complete DTS turbo kit with top mount included and compensated pump. I sent the DTS (TDO5) away to MMP Turbos to get custom built and highflowed to suit the 1HZ. Sending pump off to ADS injection for reco, then fit it all up then take to ADS to tune it for me. While it is all going I will slowly rebuild the other 1HZ to turbo spec as a spare should I blow it up.

received_10156252383222784.jpeg received_10156252385787784.jpeg received_10156259784442784.jpeg received_10156252914682784.jpeg received_10156256370077784.jpeg

Gavo, underdog, phs and 5 others like this.
  10. BTFIVO

BTFIVO Well-Known Member

Finally got the fuel pump reco'd, 12mm compensated power pump. Turbo hopefully will arrive later this week.

pump1.jpg pump3.jpg pump2.jpg

11. BTFIVO

BTFIVO Well-Known Member

Started roughing out the porting of the exhaust manifold. Exhaust ports on the head need work as well.

Attached Files:

12. BTFIVO

BTFIVO Well-Known Member

Got some 2" lifted variable rate coils (Dobinson C59-222V/223V) coming as well to replace the current 3"HD as they are too rough and I am getting over climbing a mountain to get in every time. The beauty about these are that they are the same free-height as the 3"HD are, so I will leave the 3" shocks in for the extra travel as the bumb-stops are already set up for them. Will see how they go.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    80lover96gxl and underdog like this.
  13. phs

phs Well-Known Member

Nice,

Looks like you will be having some fun in the coming months.

BTFIVO likes this.
  14. BTFIVO

BTFIVO Well-Known Member

Thanks mate. Yeah trying to get at it all, slower than I want but I guess we can't always have everything, even though we sometimes try. Haha. I figured what's the point of an awesome turbo setup if the rest is outta whack. I guess that is upkeep and the forced induction saga. After the year of research, a nicely ported head, extractors, a custom built pump from ADS and a tune would have done nicely, and probably saved me $3,000 and all the hastles. But who doesn't love a turbocharged diesel. I guess the only driving for of all of this vehicle is that I don't have to pay it off like a newer rig. So I thought I'd have a bit of a play seeing as I can't have a nice VDJ70 right now. The most important part of it was getting a turbo specifically designed for this engine so it is efficient, keeping those harmful EGT's down. The porting should help them escape a little easier as well. The exhaust ports (and valves) on the 1HZ are tiny!

80lover96gxl and phs like this.
  15. phs

phs Well-Known Member

I am of the same opinion do it once do it right.
    looks like your a spending the time and doing your homework, you will have many good years of motoring when it's done.

Not much beats these older Non CRD Toyota donks. I know people hate to hear it but toyota motors are darn good

Rags90mod, 80lover96gxl and BTFIVO like this.
  16. phs

phs Well-Known Member

Do you intend on using a R151 ?
    Might be worth looking at a H151 out of a 79
    The 80 series H15* are much the same but had weak input shafts.

BTFIVO likes this.
  17. BTFIVO

BTFIVO Well-Known Member

I have the factory R151 in and will likely wait till it gives in. I scored a fully rebuilt and strengthened R151 with full spline 5th gear with 20,000klms on it with that spare donk I got. My bro has a H151 with 130,000klms from a VDJ, very tempting. Not sure what route I will take at this point. Might be better to sell both boxes and buy the H151 off him.

underdog likes this.
  18. BTFIVO

BTFIVO Well-Known Member

Well, the goods finally arrived, TD06H-18G huffer to add to the kit. Start on the head soon. I am in two minds about the head. Half of me just wants to throw all this kit on and go, the other half says "you've gone to the trouble of selective design so far, complete the rest in the same manner". Darn it! Anyhow, some turboiness action for you guys.

Attached Files:

Rags90mod, CruiserAd and 80lover96gxl like this.
  19. BTFIVO

BTFIVO Well-Known Member

On a side note, was old mates 60th, so he wanted to do the Creb, so I played tour guide for the day and showed him and his mate the typical loop. We stayed at the Lions Den for the night and seeing as there was 3 of us plus he was chuffed about the setup, we stayed in the safari tent. I must say they are sensational. Got on the beers for the evening, then set out for Cooktown the following morning. Along our way through the Creb however, we came across an obstacle. Someone had abandoned their Luxy at one of the floodways. Not sure if they drowned the vehicle or they had a flat tyre and couldn't get over the creek. Or maybe someone else came along and decided to steal a spare. Eitherway it was stuck good and proper. One thing I know for sure is that, it's a real long walk to any civilisation. Had a blast though, I just love this whole region. I want to spend some more time over in the National Parks around Atherton next dry season and get back into some camping. I am in the process of reforming all my equipment so have gotten rid of half my gear.

Attached Files:

Albynsw likes this.
  20. Trophy truck 481

Trophy truck 481 Active Member

i have heard that the Toyota Coaster engines had way stronger pistons fitted to them
    my friend brought his 105 from a company in Berri, that specializes in aftermarket turbo kits for them, he brought his car from the owner of the company

they had tried a few different set ups and found piston failure was the most common issue, once he fitted those piston he could then run more boost