Hzj105 with no drive in any gear bar 5th

Another 105

G'day, I have an issue with my hzj105.
I have lost all gears bar 5th. The shifter still moves like it's selecting but when clutch released there's no drive. I've drained oil which had no noticeable chunks in it, just fine brass shavings glittering in the sun light. I know I have to pull it out just after any idea's what could of let go. Thanks
It does have a denco turbo, cross country intercooler, 12mm pump and light tune off 150hp 480nm.

Rusty Panels

This may be a long shot but I'd be checking the bushing and the round cup that the gear lever sits in. They are made of a plastic material and actually break down over time and can cause all sorts of selector problems. You only need to remove the console top if fitted and the rubber boots etc from inside the car which you'd have to do anyway to remove the gearbox so might be worth a look.
tran005_karsons_main3-min.jpeg

cam04

This may be a long shot but I'd be checking the bushing and the round cup that the gear lever sits in. They are made of a plastic material and actually break down over time and can cause all sorts of selector problems. You only need to remove the console top if fitted and the rubber boots etc from inside the car which you'd have to do anyway to remove the gearbox so might be worth a look.
View attachment 73897
Guaranteed to let go half way up the cape on the corrugations - that's where my 80 let it's go.

Another 105

Well found the issue. Snapped main shaft just in front of 5th gear. Looks like it's been cracked for a while.

Attachments

• 20220702_151329.jpg
    20220702_151329.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 20220702_151322.jpg
    20220702_151322.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18

discomatt

Unusual for a Tojo to loose all gears other than 5th, normally its 5th that dies first due to the gear box design
years ago my brother cracked the shits at me for not telling him to not tow in 5th with his, he did, it broke , I told him it was a common issue and you should never tow in 5th with any load and he wasn't happy because I didn't tell him prior to it failing. Complete gearbox rebuild
You can't win them all

typhoeus

I think there is a mod you can do to 5th gear bearing/shaft to make it stronger. Worth doing now you have it apart already

discomatt

I think there is a mod you can do to 5th gear bearing/shaft to make it stronger. Worth doing now you have it apart already
there is, as far as I know its an additional support for the 5th gear shaft, original design is full floating which is what causes the issue, there is definitely a mod and definitely worth doing

typhoeus

Clutch was new with the $14,000 engine rebuild about 27,000ks ago. Its been a very expensive car
Well, I hope it's all sorted now. With new motor , clutch & gearbox, it should be good for the next 10 years or more with hopefully only minor issues.