Hydrogen on demand

Neil PK Ranger

Neil PK
Perth
Has anyone successfully fitted a Hydrogen on demand unit to a 3 ltr diesel ? I would like to compare notes as am a bit nervous about switching this thing on . Also ..... has anyone retro fitted a wide band oxygen sensor to a PK Ranger via a override ecu?

Petunia

from what i saw, once, W O M B A T .... Waste Of Money Brains And Time.
looked at, digested, forgotten about. most harm only caused to your wallet.

Outrage

4x4 Earth Contributer
So you want to run your diesel engine, to make electricity, to run an electrolysis process to make hydrogen, to then add a little bit of hydrogen back into the diesel engine.

Inefficient process, it's using more energy than it's making. Save your money.

Maybe if you had a household solar system, that was producing excess electricity you couldn't use, store in a battery or send back into the grid. So that ran an electrolysis process to make hydrogen, that was then stored in a cylinder and fed into the vehicle. Still not optimal, but a way to use excess energy production.

Petunia

Yes , you are correct about the name, although there is also a lot of electronic tech involved.
Baffled by Bovine Excrement or simply chuck some resistors a few transistors maybe a couple capacitors, oh nearly forgot diodes, cant forget diodes, they confuse people ....... oh yeah chuck that in a box, call it electronic wizardry, or lizardy .....

electricity + water = hydrogen + oxygen or death if you stand in the water or blow yourself up

1 liter of water makes 110grams of hydrogen, or thereabouts, running solely [not supplemental] on hydrogen 500klm = 5KG of hydrogen, or thereabouts.
Supplementary ..... i still say only drains your wallet, or 10's of thousands of these eunuch's be selling like hotcakes? no?

Neil PK Ranger

Baffled by Bovine Excrement or simply chuck some resistors a few transistors maybe a couple capacitors, oh nearly forgot diodes, cant forget diodes, they confuse people ....... oh yeah chuck that in a box, call it electronic wizardry, or lizardy .....

electricity + water = hydrogen + oxygen or death if you stand in the water or blow yourself up

1 liter of water makes 110grams of hydrogen, or thereabouts, running solely [not supplemental] on hydrogen 500klm = 5KG of hydrogen, or thereabouts.
Supplementary ..... i still say only drains your wallet, or 10's of thousands of these eunuch's be selling like hotcakes? no?
Thanks for your numbers, I too, came up with the same result as you many years ago for your scenario .

Mick_Marsh

Rough calc, so you need fifty litres of water to travel 500km, in addition to the diesel.
The energy required to move that weight will add to the diesel fuel consumption.

Neil PK Ranger

Hi Mick,
Have you had one before?. My old one used about one lt of solution per 1000k , fuel consumption reduced between 15 & 50 % depending on solution , tuning & load. Naturally aspirated twin 4 barrel Hollies 351
This current project is challenging my electrical skill, so having to go back to school. Fired the Ranger up yesterday on a Dyno with surprising numbers in Hp. Fuel consumption was high at first, so now in the process of a full remap, fingers crossed

Petunia

Rough calc, so you need fifty litres of water to travel 500km, in addition to the diesel.
NO !

you need 5 kilo's of hydrogen to 500klm SOLELY running on hydrogen,

NO diesel NO petrol >>>>>> just pure hydro.... gen,

hydro-gen plus air [oxy - gen] plus fire equals big bang plus water, the martian Mark Watney demonstrates this while watering his crop of potatoes.

these pudsky things ''supplement'' fuel plus oxy-gen, and ''may'' contain 1 liter of ''solution'' or water plus an electrolite, fancy pants way of saying make water conduct electricity more better, like.
and they ''SUPPLEMENT'' the fuel air mix with hydro ....gen, at a concentration unknown to me, and i dont really care, but as there is a known weight of oxy gen and hydro gen in one liter of water and that is 110grams
i would not be fluffing round for 110 grams of a gas, probably cheaper to bottle cow belches

typhoeus

So 1litre of water contains 890 grams of oxygen? How does that work H20 is 2 hydrogen atoms combined with 1 oxygen atom, therefore water is 2 thirds hydrogen

Petunia

So 1litre of water contains 890 grams of oxygen? How does that work H20 is 2 hydrogen atoms combined with 1 oxygen atom, therefore water is 2 thirds hydrogen
ummmm ok .... yeah but no but, yeah but, Hydrogen. Helium. Lithium. Beryllium. Boron. Carbon. Nitrogen. Oxygen.

1 atom of oxygen weighs 16 times as much as 1 atom of hydrogen, so on the fly, if the math will say yay or neigh?
1 atom of oxygen = 16 poofteenths of a kilo
2 atoms of hydrogen = 2 poofteenths of a kilo

110 grams divide by 2 times 16 =880 grams

damn 10 grams short of your 890
but then, 10 grams out in my home lavatory while splitting atoms and weighing the little suckers is not bad considering the initial 110 grams is pluct oot thin air [or somewhere else] as a near enough value.
:cool:

Batts88

Had a hho kit over 10yrs ago but before setting it up I done a lot of fuel econ checks using a gps on my dual cab gq which weighed 2.5t before it was loaded. This may sound odd to some but for consistancy I went to the same servo used the same pump each time I had a 145ltr fuel tank. I worked a couple of hours out of town so done the same trip around twice a week always using cruise control when able. So over all after setting up the hho I ended up getting 10Lph compared to the previous 12Lph. Some people say they use more power than they make my used around 20amps so has anyone done a fuel econ test on their car then put their headlight and spotties on and done a comparision to see if it changes their fuel econ to actually prove that's a true claim. Anyway after time mine went to 11.06Lph then stopped working but the point is the idea did actually work. After lots of trouble contacting the American maker who lied a lot, promised this and that I was able to contact a previos employee of his who said the owner only bench tested it for a short period of time where he personally wanted to do it over a lot longer time to ensure a quallity product is manufactured for the market. He left the company when complaints started coming in and the owner changed the companies name. So do your research buy local so if you have issues you can talk face to face to resolve them.

Last edited:

Neil PK Ranger

Thanks for you input, I have built 3, this last one is shaping up very well to date,
The real reason for this 3rd unit is that I have sold my 351 Ford complete with the 15 year old hho unit fitted & replaced it with an old ranger PK to practice on.
I have found that this 3ltr diesel on dyno is most efficient under half load between 2200 - 2800 rpm. Power to fuel consumed. It is taking about 220 cc per min of gas from the generator, consuming 6.7 Amps / 13.8 volts.
Light load @ 110 km Perth-Meeka run on Saturday- Sunday returned 14.7 km / ltr ( had a tail wind for 2/3 of the way. With hho turned off, fuel consumption increased to 8.9 km / lt.
My original request from the forum was about fitting wide band oxy sensors to this particular vehicle as it only has an IAT sensor that reads exhaust gas roughly.
The control unit that I have is capable of reading up to 4 exhaust sensors.
Your generator sounds like it was a bit on the larger size for that motor hence the power draw.
I have seen a couple of other installs over time where the installers didn’t know that much or may have been rushing to fast for themselves.
Do you have a unit running these days?

Batts88

When I was originally researching them most companies had a guide that went by engine capacity so you bought the unit to suit. The amount of sodium sulphate you added made the voltage chage but they recommended not going above 25amps from memory. It had a small style of radiator around 300mm x 100mm which was mounted behind the grill and a 12v pump to circulate the solution. This was to compensate for the unit which can build up a lot of heat. It was supposed to have had titanium coated stainless plates so the solution stayed clean which it did so you didn't have to periodically clean the brown slop out you only had to top up the bottle at around 2 or 3 thousand km. But I suspect whatever the coating was that when it wore off the unit stopped working. I took the plates out and made some new one's from stainless but could never get it working again. I even tried a different addative that other companies were using but nothing. Also back then I remember there was a fellow who had one on an XD falcon I think from VIC or SA with his own set up it was in the local Mackay paper he was doing a run up the coast or something would have been good to have talked to him about it.