How to use 4WD gears & when to use them.

cam04

The line about not using 5th in low range is interesting. In an auto box, towing in soft sand etc I’ll take 5th low and a locked torque converter over say 2nd high with no TC lockout every day. It may be a thing In the old Toyota boxes you seem to refer to, but newer ZF’s etc will tow in soft sand all day up to 60kph plus in low range and create zero gearbox heat or wear doing so. 1st through 3rd usually have zero TC lockout and I guarantee you’ll overheat the box in very short order trying to tow/drive in the soft stuff in those gears.

Last edited:

CaptainBanana

You mentioned the Triton. I was giving the info re 2002 onwards mitsubishi's with stab control and traction control. I haven't owned a dunny door since I bought a VS in 1997, so I have no idea what they do now, nor any other make/brand. My dunny door back then had a cable throttle, therefore no capacity for stab control. I could plant it as much as I likes and it would just keep going.

As far as I know, any vehicle with stab control has an electronic pedal. Maybe there are mechanical ones, I have no idea.

In the Mits, what you describe is stab control. I cant answer for anything else.

I presume you mean accidental throttle mitigation when you say stab control .... absolutely not the same thing I’m talking about .

mikehzz

You mentioned the Triton. I was giving the info re 2002 onwards mitsubishi's with stab control and traction control. I haven't owned a dunny door since I bought a VS in 1997, so I have no idea what they do now, nor any other make/brand. My dunny door back then had a cable throttle, therefore no capacity for stab control. I could plant it as much as I likes and it would just keep going.

As far as I know, any vehicle with stab control has an electronic pedal. Maybe there are mechanical ones, I have no idea.

In the Mits, what you describe is stab control. I cant answer for anything else.
It's stability control in Jeeps and Land Rovers too.

sharkcaver

I presume you mean accidental throttle mitigation when you say stab control .... absolutely not the same thing I’m talking about .
I thought my reply pretty well explained what I meant?? It's not accidental, its an output function of the stab control ecu.

As said, I was referring to Mits stab system seeing you mentioned a Triton, I have no idea what a dunny door did after the VS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_stability_control

CaptainBanana

Petunia

Damn, I must be doing it all wrong, Low 2nd 2wd around the ranch [no hubs locked] just a nice reduction gear. High range 2wd on the gravel dirt, even in the rain [if it does rain] getting to the gravel is the hard bit, black soil, then one uses all the traction aids at ones disposal.
Driving here can entail a lot of gravel/dirt alternately every 10 minutes, it's the sticks, from here to there can be an hour with 50/50 sealed unsealed all in high 2wd. I'm reminded of Egghead who claimed to be in 4wd for 100klm? I said yeah like there are enough roads that would happen, ya fool.

The part of 5th gear in any range high or low, in a manual is in my opinion is forbidden, in low it's ridiculous once past 3rd low it is equal to 1st high near enough, and in high at low speed it just asks for trouble later on from over stressing the components. [ref: old mate with two noisy 6 speed toymota boxes, well there's ya problem, operator error, driving at slow speeds it too higher gear and stressing things that operate under 1:1 ratio][he bought a ffffff ffff ffford to cure it, not seen him since but i will ask if it did any better]

It's yours, you drive it like you stole it, me I'll put me second best hat on and 2 bales a hay and not look in me mirrors. :cool:

dno67

The part of 5th gear in any range high or low, in a manual is in my opinion is forbidden, in low it's ridiculous once past 3rd low it is equal to 1st high near enough, and in high at low speed it just asks for trouble later on from over stressing the components. [ref: old mate with two noisy 6 speed toymota boxes, well there's ya problem, operator error, driving at slow speeds it too higher gear and stressing things that operate under 1:1 ratio][he bought a ffffff ffff ffford to cure it, not seen him since but i will ask if it did any better]

It's yours, you drive it like you stole it, me I'll put me second best hat on and 2 bales a hay and not look in me mirrors. :cool:
100% agree with this in a manual box.

discomatt

The mits has a few ecu's. One for engine, one for auto and its own ecu specifically looking after stability control (asc ecu)
Stability control of coarse, missed the obvious ...
Disco 4 is the same, computers to control everything including, engine, transmission , transfer case, diffs , ABS, Stability control ,TC, height and the list goes on:eek:

cam04

100% agree with this in a manual box.
Agree, manual boxes don’t have slippage (heat) issues in low gears, and overdriven manual gears are notoriously weak, so moving back to high range is a no brainer in easier country. Auto boxes suffer badly from heat so the mantra is always - go low range early. Just because the engine has plenty of torque to get the job done doesnt mean you aren’t hurting the auto box.