How to plan a Vic High Country trip without going to National Parks? (Forced to travel with dog)

Jackbyo

We've got a VHC trip coming up in two weeks and due to a change in circumstance, the dog has to come with us.
I know it's probably better without a dog, but no way around this unfortunately. Thankfully I've seen some reports that there's still plenty to see and do in the VHC even when you stick to state forests etc.

So I'm trying to look at a map with clear boundaries of the National Parks so I can stick to the rules. To my surprise, google maps really doesn't show the boundaries of National Parks vs State Forests or other public land.

What would be the best way to plan this kind of trip?

Cheers

John U

We've got a VHC trip coming up in two weeks and due to a change in circumstance, the dog has to come with us.
I know it's probably better without a dog, but no way around this unfortunately. Thankfully I've seen some reports that there's still plenty to see and do in the VHC even when you stick to state forests etc.

So I'm trying to look at a map with clear boundaries of the National Parks so I can stick to the rules. To my surprise, google maps really doesn't show the boundaries of National Parks vs State Forests or other public land.

What would be the best way to plan this kind of trip?

Cheers
I had a similar deal a while back and tried using the WikiCamps filter. I’m pretty sure it’s not reliable but not a bad starting point.

Outrage

4x4 Earth Contributer
Some other options are:
- Hema's 'High Country Victoria' map is good as an overview that covers Mansfield to just the other side of Orbost. Shows what is national park. Paper form, one side covers Mansfield to Omeo, the other side is Omeo to Orbost. Size is good for overall trip planning/route selection.
- Rooftop's maps are considered the best for 4wding maps of Vic high country. Once you know the area you want to go, buy the applicable Rooftop's maps, they are a better scale to investigate an area and have a lot more detail (like track information, points of interest etc) than Hema.

Mansfield to Licola is state forest. Dargo to Gelantipy is State forest. A fair bit to explore in these regions.

Between Licola and Dargo, it is mostly the Alpine National Park, so pretty limited with what you can explore in that area. Either going around it or you might be able to use the Tamboritha/Moroka Rd to transition this without stopping with your dog in the Park (from memory you can drive 'through' a Park without stopping if you have a pet, but you should check the rules to confirm).

Not far east of Gelantipy, you hit the Snowy River National Park.

Swaggie

you might be able to use the Tamboritha/Moroka Rd to transition this without stopping with your dog in the Park (from memory you can drive 'through' a Park without stopping if you have a pet, but you should check the rules to confirm).
This was always my take on the situation also..