Change background image

How to get through the Gunshot Creek on the Telegraph track

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Patriot, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Patriot

Patriot Administrator

2. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

Pretty foolhardy attempting that.
    I saw a bloke in a wagon put his spare on his rear wheel carrier through his back window on gunshot, he still thought he was a hero :rolleyes:
    I am always in vehicle preservation mode on big trips and avoid anything unnecessary

one, CB23, Spooner and 5 others like this.
  3. rogerazz

rogerazz 4x4 Earth Contributer

Looks like he met his match eventually.:eek:. Maybe he wanted to get his name on " Who gives a sh#t, I can winch off that tree real easy like?"
    34340943_1568879959887874_8365062362218102784_n.jpg

Spooner, Mr Rum and phs like this.
  4. Kouf97

Kouf97 Active Member

Pretty sure that was before gunshot, you can see the smashed windscreen from it in the video. Surely the damage from that would have put him off doing more damage to the patrol :confused:

richardlnsw likes this.
  5. phs

phs Well-Known Member

More dollars than cents
    But it is good for laugh

6. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

I think its epic and good on him for havin a crack. His 4b, his gear and equipment and was running solo and at the end of the day his $$$$ to pay for recovery and repairs if he'd stuffed it.
    The trailer needed a few track side repairs but didn't prevent him from continuing his adventure.
    In hindsight, he could have turned the trailer upside down and gone down on the tinnie:p, may have been abit smoother:rolleyes:;).

Rags90mod, phs, Krumpy and 1 other person like this.
  7. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

The ultimate bit of stupidity was Patriot Campers dragging a double axle trailer with a buggy on the back through there. It was something like 6 tonnes all up and required winching to get out. They gouged another few feet out of the track doing it. It seems they've removed it from youtube for obvious reasons.

8. Neddysmith

Neddysmith Active Member

Maybe he's compliling a complete series of what not to do when out and about.....

9. phs

phs Well-Known Member

Looking at the photo of the tree down same guy, where do you draw the Line between having fun and being carless it's a fine line,

Talking with parks ect. Mind you they are a little more relaxed in vic as we can collect fallen wood in most areas for camp fires, but they won't tolerate damage to living trees and a lot of places have been shut because of it

If he totalled the trailer would they have towed it out ? Anyway I do hope it stays open long enough for us to visit but who knows

This guy could have invested in a decent spotter

10. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

If it wasn't for the trailer he did a fairly decent job of it.

phs and 80lover96gxl like this.
  11. Jackolux

Jackolux Active Member

I met that bloke in the Kimberley a few years ago , still had the dent in the left guard of the Patrol , he admitted he just stuffed up putting a wheel up on that high spot . The reason the horn sounded was he pushed so hard on the steering wheel it bent , a good pull and he straightened it .
    I have done all the Creek Crossings on the OTL Including that one at GunShot in my Hilux it's my avatar pic , also did Nolans Brook , I won't do those 2 again , quit while in ahead .
    We have been to the Cape a couple of times, it's worth camping at both GunShot and Nolans just to watch the fun .

Mr Rum, Swaggie, Albynsw and 3 others like this.
  12. Jaye

Jaye Well-Known Member

Like Alby I am about vehicle preservation, especially on big trips. I cant afford to just replace it or ruin my gear and holiday. One of the reasons I didnt tackle gunshot. (the size of my Jimny compared to gunshot is another.)
    But good on him. Its his holiday his gear. Things can be replaced and no one died. Just a sh!itty patrol, plenty of them around, get another one no problems.

billolga, Rags90mod, Spooner and 6 others like this.
  13. littleGem

littleGem Active Member

What do you mean, they're semi famous and doing it for "entertainment" so that makes it ok... hell thats what 90% of the industry thinks "put it on a DVD and its all good"

Spooner and dno67 like this.
  14. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Whats the attraction factor other than a must do Icon thing after travelling 1000's and 1000's of kms to get there ?
    How do they get back up?

15. Mr Rum

Mr Rum Well-Known Member

It’s a creek crossing on the Old Tele Track. There’s around five or six different tracks in from the north, and one out to the south.
    The easiest of the drives in when I was there last year was a piece of cake, and the drive out was much the same.
    The other ways in have varying levels of steepness, the one in the video being one of the steepest, longest drops.

For me, I was ten days in to a five week trip when I was there, so I wasn’t interested in risking any damage, however my brother wasn’t, and you’d almost think the only reason he left home was to “do gunshot”.
    He scratched his scrub rail, filled his bullbar with mud, and left his own towbar groove, but he enjoyed it.

The way I see it, I “did gunshot” too, just a different line that didn’t risk damage.

I’ll share some photos when I get home.

EDIT: He didn’t do the one in the video above, but it was one of the steeper ones.

dno67 and Spooner like this.
  16. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Cool Pete,
    I thought it was a one way only track

17. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

I think it is more a badge of honour thing, there are plenty of alternate options. There are other vehicle killers like Nolan’s Brook that you have to take on if you want to stick to the OTT and I am fine with giving them a crack as part of the trip but for me you don’t take on unnecessary risks on these sort of trips for a Badge.
    You have to get up there one day Rick, it is a magical place
    Last time I was up there I did it at night for a different experience

dno67, mikehzz and Mr Rum like this.
  18. Mr Rum

Mr Rum Well-Known Member

Though most people do the OTT south to north, there’s nothing stopping people going the other way.

Here’s an aerial shot of the Gunshot Creek crossing, and as you can see, there are tracks everywhere.
    0619790D-8122-4ADB-B62E-687234DE846F.jpeg

19. silkwood

silkwood Member

I think the more difficult part of going north-south would be the cut up tracks on the northern sides (though I haven;t tried it this way). What bothered me was the deteriorating conditions left because almost no-one stops to let water drain after the crossings, before heading upwards. This just adds to the mud, increasing cut-up tracks.

Cheers,
    Mark

20. Mr Rum

Mr Rum Well-Known Member

Here you go @Spooner , photos as promised.

Here's the easier of the Gunshot entrances with no vehicles in the way..
    Earth-2724.JPG

Again with me descending it..
    Earth-2735.JPG

The way my brother went down..
    Earth-2769.JPG

And my brother on the way out..
    Earth-2801.JPG

And though off topic for this thread, here's a screenshot from a video of me crossing the other creek that puts fear in people.
    Bridge Creek, aka Nolan's Brook..
    Screen Shot 2018-06-10 at 19.50.29.jpg