Change background image

How to get rid of red dust????

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by discomatt, Aug 25, 2018.

1. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

After our recent outback trip the car and camper have some very stubborn red dirt stains on rubbers, chassis rails and suspension components.
    I have washed both car and camper several times and it still remains and short of scrubbing every square inch with a tooth brush and wheel cleaner I have no idea on how to get rid of it and that is just not practical to get all the nooks and crannies under the car.
    Does anyone know of any spay on product that will do the job ??
    This is killing my OCD:mad:

cradokaone and Spooner like this.
  2. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

Its terrible stuff to get rid of, you can use magic erasers on rubbers along with a rubber treatment but you will have to rub the whole lot.

Even once you get it clean, next time it rains it will start bleeding out again haha

bit late now but i saw a tip recently for suspension, chassis, engine etc is to coat everything in lanolin and then clean with mild degreaser after and it looks like new.

3. Chatty

Chatty Well-Known Member

The only way I've found to get rid of the red dust is to sell the vehicle.

cradokaone, Wang, Mrs Rum and 4 others like this.
  4. smitty_r51

smitty_r51 Well-Known Member

Take it out again... You will not care so much then

cradokaone, Spooner and BIGCOL like this.
  5. phs

phs Well-Known Member

Try a few bog holes mate.

I have heard this works

cradokaone and LCV8VICTORIA like this.
  6. discomatt

Na, a car is like a woman, once you get a good one you hang onto it
    That is a good idea if nothing else works

cradokaone, Mrs Rum and teza h like this.
  7. discomatt

I wont even do that in the old bush pig let alone the D4

cradokaone, LCV8VICTORIA and phs like this.
  8. BIGCOL

BIGCOL Well-Known Member

Just go with it mate, wear it like a badge of honour. There are many that would love to have that problem, along with the great memories you have of how you got the red dust in the first place.

Col.

9. Chatty

Chatty Well-Known Member

Damned sight easier to find a good car than a good woman. .

cradokaone and peterfermtech like this.
  10. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

Col has the right idea , nothing better than seeing a bit of red dust to keep the memories going
    Try a water based degreaser, that works ok on the rubber

cradokaone, callmejoe and Spooner like this.
  11. discomatt

I found the solution, ignore what you cant easily see , scrub around the rubbers with one of Liza's bathroom cleaning brushes. She is out shopping and I think its used to clean grout in the shower, shhh don't say anything;)
    And make a concoction of ally bright, degreaser , and CT18 , spay it on let it soak for 15 minutes then wash off with the pressure cleaner, clean as the day it came off the assembly line, almost...

cradokaone, phs, teza h and 3 others like this.
  12. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Lol
    I would have to disagree , having a great woman in your life is worth more than 20 cars !
    And if you can't clean it yourself on your own , she can tell you how to do it properly :)

cradokaone, phs, teza h and 2 others like this.
  13. Chatty

Chatty Well-Known Member

I didn't say that a good woman was better than a good car - I said they're harder to find.:p
    Yeah, ain't that the truth :) Trish is expert at telling me how to clean the car. Not so expert on doing it herself. :rolleyes:

cradokaone and Spooner like this.
  14. barcher

barcher Well-Known Member

Top End tinge, a badge of honour.

15. hiluxdriver

hiluxdriver Well-Known Member

CT18. Might take a few applications and an overnight soaking but it works for me

cradokaone likes this.
  16. itlldoo

itlldoo Well-Known Member

doing a couple of beach runs seemed to work for me after the desert for the exterior but the interior was a strip out, blow with air compressor and elbow grease. ;)

cradokaone and denmonkey like this.
  17. billolga

billolga 4x4 Earth Contributer

All I can say is Good luck - I think if you put the whole vehicle under water you would still come up with some.
    Clean your vehicle to the best of your ability & then a week later put a hose up the drain plugs in the doors particularly the rear & see what happens.
    In my case the dust will probably take another $5 of the trade in value (Apart from the holes I drilled in the dash - ripping out seats etc):cool::D

cradokaone, discomatt and teza h like this.
  18. HJ75 Rob

HJ75 Rob Member

Don’t worry, just live with it. Eventually most will go but you will always find a bit years down the track.

Cheers
    Rob

cradokaone, billolga and Chatty like this.
  19. denmonkey

denmonkey Well-Known Member

What Todd said.
    I reckon a good beach run works wonders for getting the mud and dirt out of those hard to reach places.
    Tires come up a real treat.
    In the end sand is easier to get rid of . still shit but easier

cradokaone likes this.
  20. shanegtr

shanegtr Active Member

Get a few bush pinstripes down the paint work then you'll stop worrying about some red dirt. I've never bothered getting too obsessed with getting the red dirt out - I dont think its even possible

cradokaone, billolga and Chatty like this.