How to disconnect coax from uhf antenna base?

Wombat_81

Gday all. Rats have chewed through the antenna cable of my mother in law's uhf. It's a Uniden AT850BK antenna. There's more than enough cable to disconnect the cut section from the antenna base and reconnect it. But i can't see how to remove the old cable. I know it will be soldered. Any tips or advice on desoldering it and disconnecting it would be appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Some pics.

10dA0B6.jpg

zZtSHdS.jpg

Rusty Panels

The problem with just desoldering it may be that the cables are a tuned length. That means that for the best performance they are usually made to be a multiple of the wave length the antenna is made for.

boobook

Your Mother in Law has a CB?

In order of best option priority.

1)Tell the MIL it's unfixable and enjoy the silence.
2)Replace the whole thing, but next time get an antenna with a plug / socket at the base of the antenna.
3)Cut the ends clean and get a male-female pair of solder connectors from say Jaycar.
4)Join the wires like below.

Note for coax you don't have to worry about the cable length, other than the shorter the cable the better.

Wombat_81

The problem with just desoldering it may be that the cables are a tuned length. That means that for the best performance they are usually made to be a multiple of the wave length the antenna is made for.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think length was an issue for uhf, but i could be wrong?

Wombat_81

Your Mother in Law has a CB?

In order of best option priority.

1)Tell the MIL it's unfixable and enjoy the silence.
2)Replace the whole thing, but next time get an antenna with a plug / socket at the base of the antenna.
3)Cut the ends clean and get a male-female pair of solder connectors from say Jaycar.
4)Join the wires like below.

Note for coax you don't have to worry about the cable length, other than the shorter the cable the better.

Thanks for the reply. I wanted to avoid joining if possible, but if that's the best option. I guess i could do that and see if it affects range much.

Batts88

I wouldn't be to concerned about putting a screw in joiner in it we use to do that a bit at TJM when you had no other option we told he customer and never had any future complaints about noticable range loss etc. Jaycar sell uhf coax joiners.

Last edited:

teza h

I think the point was,or the question rather,was how do you connect the coax directly into the antana bass.I would also like to know this,as re routing the cable is a job that i would rather avoid if possible.
Cheers teza.

boobook

I think the point was,or the question rather,was how do you connect the coax directly into the antana bass.I would also like to know this,as re routing the cable is a job that i would rather avoid if possible.
Cheers teza.

I don't think you can. hence the alternatives.

Swaggie

There’s a small hole in the Center of the base that the copper wire goes up into and is soldered to it, sometimes you can’t see where it’s soldered there and you think how’s this bloody wire connected to the base....