How many GPS' do you take on a trip.

Borec

On extreme trips 4 dedicated and 3 phones with gps.. hmmmm makes 7, normally, 3 dedicated and 2 phones (the extra phones are usually to control go pro and play mp3, and to film)
Surface Pro with GPS dongle and Oziexplorer (for maps), Garmin Nuvi (for lazy navigation), Garmin Oregon (to see details, such as time travelled, sunset max speed, average etc and to record daily gpx file, Garmin 60Cx, as a backup, and I use now and then some aps on the phones to record the trip such as Wikiloc)

boobook

My take on paper versus GPS is that you can't beat a GPS for "Where am I" and you can't beat a paper map for "Where do I want to go". Both will do the other function but not as well as the other. It's not Either / Or.

I think that is the reason I like Memory Maps so much. If you get the PC version, which is free. You can print out the maps ( you already bought) on any scale before leaving home. I got an A3 Printer which was not much more than a standard A4 one. Lucky people can print at work too. Otherwise Officeworks isn't too bad for A3 printing.

I print out pages that are about 1 day of travel. Say Broken Hill to Cameron Corner. At this scale, the map section detail is bigger and easier to read than the paper maps you buy from say Hema. and much easier to handle - but it is the same map. I also print an even larger scale for areas of interest ( eg Sturt National Park) where I might be looking for a camp spot or interesting locations. I often printout Hema for the touring and Austopo 250K, westprint or Rooftop for detail.

If you are using say Hema maps, that format is so much easier to handle than a large bought map. You can scribble notes on each page for later or use them to light fires after you move on to the next A3 Map. The map on the navigator is exactly the same as the one on the printout so that makes life easier.

While I still bring the large folded maps in case we have a complete change of plan, they stay firmly packed away most of the time. I often print out copies for each car for those interested. It's a few cents per page.

Last edited:
No offence to all you guys who a using the HX1 . My neighbour is on his second replacement and still no good . The HX1 is Totally overpriced low spec chinese tablet running on the very old version of Android 4.4 . You can set up a much better Galaxy 7 tab A for the fraction of the cost or use the higher spec'd Galaxy 8in with twice the processing power ,higher res, later android version and select other nav's to use. Not lock just to Hema. The tab 8 would be $280 (Less for the 7inch ,then a 90mm suction mount $15 ebay , Ozi Licence $25US and $50 to $70 for the Hema Map set . Then run Igo steet nav or free ones from google play . As well as Oziexplorer you can run Hema Explorer pro, Mudmaps , Memory Maps and many others . Read this before you buy a Hema HX1.https://www.productreview.com.au/p/hema-hx-1-navigator.html .
G'day Maurice,what u wrote makes a lot of sense to me, atm i'm wanting to buy a decent nav-gps for bush tracks mainly, vms get farly crappy reviews, mate has a hemma, not happy (draws shitloads of power?)today i was looking @ a 10 inch tab A 32 GB, the sales lady had not much info on regards to downloading aps(hemma,ozi explorer etc) . my main concern is buying the wrong tablet that isn't compatable with stuff? ie do the apps need to b in a wifi area for continuous running? as u can tell i have no f#$$#n idea, please help guys! any recommendations of models would b appreciated. cheers in advance !,regards Tezza

Kippie

Get the one with the most storage memory. 32 GB is a minimum, more would be better if you can afford it. Reason is that only Locus Map can store it's maps on an SD card. Memory Map, Exploreoz, Wikicamps etc install it in the main memory.

darb

ipad mini 64gb running motionX-HD ... so i can cache two or three satellite image providers, aswell as terrain and road mapping.

It also doubles as various other apps I use like solar charging managmeent (victron connect), and OBD Fusion for the engine stuff (mostly for watching tranny temps etc).

Dwello-March-2019--1020.jpg
IMG_8560.JPG

G'day Maurice,what u wrote makes a lot of sense to me, atm i'm wanting to buy a decent nav-gps for bush tracks mainly, vms get farly crappy reviews, mate has a hemma, not happy (draws shitloads of power?)today i was looking @ a 10 inch tab A 32 GB, the sales lady had not much info on regards to downloading aps(hemma,ozi explorer etc) . my main concern is buying the wrong tablet that isn't compatable with stuff? ie do the apps need to b in a wifi area for continuous running? as u can tell i have no f#$$#n idea, please help guys! any recommendations of models would b appreciated. cheers in advance !,regards Tezza
Hi folks,

when buying a tablet don't forget to check it has built in gps. Needs that to show you where you are accurately. eg the iPad comes in two models, with cellular or without. Only the cellular model has the built in gps capability. The wifi only model doesn't have it.
PP