• New Server!

Update: 9:50AM Thursday - the server move has been completed and we're up and running on our new faster infrastructure. Have a look around and let us know if you encounter any issues.

The 4x4 Earth Team

How long has your standard clutch lasted?

Cardy George

I know, it's a classic "how long is a piece of string" question, but due to injury, my wife has been driving me around the place.

It's the family truck, aka 'her car', and bugger me if she's not a harsh mistress on the clutch :rolleyes:

Just hoping to get some idea on how long before I have to stump up for a H/D unit

prawns

37 days, 13 minutes and 20 seconds from the beep
<Beep>

Better start shopping around :D

Does the closest person win a prize? ;) :D

Maybe you can educate her a little about being mechanically gentle? or perhaps a "swear jar" in the car - but use it for bad gear changes. That might even cover the replacement by the time its required :D

Last edited:

Cardy George

^^^ :D:D:D ^^^

She made the comment that she has good days and bad days....... But her driving style is way different to mine. Second gear seems to be her favourite.

As for education, she's a complicated beast, and gets really really nervous when driving me anywhere. So getting her to change habits is going to be a challenge, until the clutch does die and I have firm evidence that she needs to change

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Suggestion. Sit close to her , throw your right leg (no, wait for it) onto the clutch, right hand onto (no, wait for it), the gear stick and shift up or down yourself. Just make the shift real fast and she won't even have to take her foot of the gas pedal.
You could even shorten the gear stick for quick shifting.
Even throw your right foot (no, wait for it) on the brake pedal as well.
She should love you throwing your right foot and placing your right hand ( no, wait for it) on clutch, gear stick and brake pedal because it will be like driving an auto.:D

Cardy George

Suggestion. Sit close to her , throw your right leg (no, wait for it) onto the clutch, right hand onto (no, wait for it), the gear stick and shift up or down yourself. Just make the shift real fast and she won't even have to take her foot of the gas pedal.
You could even shorten the gear stick for quick shifting.
Even throw your right foot (no, wait for it) on the brake pedal as well.
She should love you throwing your right foot and placing your right hand ( no, wait for it) on clutch, gear stick and brake pedal because it will be like driving an auto.:D
The gear stick's too long.......

If you know what I mean ;)

cloughcarib

Had to change the clutch in my wife's car 80k after new. In order to replace her clutch, the entire front end of the chassis and the engine need to be removed , so it wasn't something I was able to do myself. There was a fair bit of educating after that, which, after being in the car with her the other day has not sunk in.

How long was that piece of string?

Cardy George

Had to change the clutch in my wife's car 80k after new. In order to replace her clutch, the entire front end of the chassis and the engine need to be removed , so it wasn't something I was able to do myself. There was a fair bit of educating after that, which, after being in the car with her the other day has not sunk in.

How long was that piece of string?
That's a damn expensive piece of string :eek: what does she drive?

It's also the same sorta thing I'm up against. She stated yesterday she's not overly concerned about my thoughts on her driving style, it gets her around........

I did manage to ask her in general conversation, where she rested her foot while in motion, and thankfully it's NOT on the clutch pedal, the release bearing may last the distance........

Tappet

Had to give my wife a bit of training, much to her dismay on use of the clutch. I think the big problem is many people just don't know why they are using the clutch apart from it stops the gears from grinding. Once they get their head around the concept of it and what is happening, the rest comes easy. I have heard a few people say "I never ride the clutch? yet go out with them driving and guess what there riding the clutch. Hardly a day goes by where sitting at the lights or stop sign on an even road and there they are rolling backwards and forwards with the assistance of the clutch that must be smoking away.

MatOZ

My NJ turbo diesel Pajero clutch was changed at 320,000kms when I had to change the flywheel ring gear.
Clutch was still ok but thought at those Kms it was a good investment to change clutch and rear main seal while the transmission was out.

tuffcolorado

Hello. I've had mine since pritty much new bout to hit 80 thousand. And the clutch is on its last legs. Any suggestions should I go aftermaker or is genuine meaty enough....

Buxter

Mine got replaced at 150k, in 2010, when 5th gear went, as it was almost buggered anyway, and whilst the gearbox was out, everything was renewed.
The Mighty Patrol has just ticked over 250k, with no further issues.

I purchased the Patrol with 93k on it.
It was used as a tow vehicle.

My time driving trucks has taught me not to ride the clutch, (I hope !)
A clutch is used to change change gears, and I basically feather mine.
I am wondering how many people sit at the lights, with their clutch peddle in ?
Horses for courses mate, treat them properly and you "should" have a trouble free run.

eg.....My Dad, (God bless him RIP 1989) was the only person I knew that could drive off the lights, without changing gears, he would just ride the clutch, rev the "be-jesus" out if the motor, and "kangaroo hop" across the intersection.
His favorite saying was, "they don't make them like they used to", but in the 5 or 6 years he had it, there was 4 clutches put in it.

I would hide under the dash....Can't understand why ?

RODEODAVE

Mines got 240k on it and still the original clutch, but I'm not a foot on clutch at the lights sitter .THE WIFE WELL THAT'S A DIFFERENT THING.Try to educate her but i get who has never had a fine in years don't tell me how to drive!!! MMM BITING MY LIP!!

rcracing2

I've got 180000 kms on my 2010 colorado and still on the original clutch. I do quite a lot of heavy towing and also a lot of putting boats in and out of the water. I always use 4l to pull my boats out, even my tinny.
Thankfully my wife is a farm girl so she is pretty good with the clutch. Only hiccup was trying to get her to stop revving to 4000 rpm at gear changes when we changed from petrol to diesel vehicles!

chris_stoffa

4x4 Earth Contributer
Get an auto, insure the vehicle and forget about the pros and cons of her driving style..........and treat the car as a potential write off.................I do.

I let the insurance company worry about it ,I've given up

Try as i may I cannot get my wife to change her bad driving habits - and she has quite a few as well as the battered vehicle to prove it.

Oh, and 190,000k in the Bravo

Last edited:

muc the truck

Mine got replaced at 150k, in 2010, when 5th gear went, as it was almost buggered anyway, and whilst the gearbox was out, everything was renewed.
The Mighty Patrol has just ticked over 250k, with no further issues.

I purchased the Patrol with 93k on it.
It was used as a tow vehicle.

My time driving trucks has taught me not to ride the clutch, (I hope !)
A clutch is used to change change gears, and I basically feather mine.
I am wondering how many people sit at the lights, with their clutch peddle in ?
Horses for courses mate, treat them properly and you "should" have a trouble free run.

eg.....My Dad, (God bless him RIP 1989) was the only person I knew that could drive off the lights, without changing gears, he would just ride the clutch, rev the "be-jesus" out if the motor, and "kangaroo hop" across the intersection.
His favorite saying was, "they don't make them like they used to", but in the 5 or 6 years he had it, there was 4 clutches put in it.

I would hide under the dash....Can't understand why ?

If it wasn't towed in 5th gear the box would still be going . Neutral at the traffic lights is a great idea. Its what we were all taught and had to do to pass our licence . How quick bad habbits grow on some

Buxter

muck the truck

I had never towed in 5th gear, till one day coming back from Cunnamulla to Barringun, and for approx 250km only.
Tail wind, 25-30km/hr flat running, I thought "what could happen", and then it just started revving. !

Opps

Eventually fixed, locally, and I kept the gear, and shaft.
Very poorly designed effort, any wonder people were having trouble.

hayden94

Only hiccup was trying to get her to stop revving to 4000 rpm at gear changes when we changed from petrol to diesel vehicles!
Thats exactly what my misses does. Revs it to about 3000 and ever so slowly lets out the clutch. Every gear change you could smell it wofting inside the cab. The clutch just went on it aswell go figure hahahah Shes getting better though.

Another good one is my supervisor at work. Everytime we go out on site i am cringing all the way. He drives a hilux and every single hill he just puts his foot on the clutch and coasts the whole way down. And he drives around in 5th doing 40.

Quick question for everyone. Td42 na manual gq. Everyone says dont tow in 5th. Is this just for big loads camper trailers etc. Or ever. I tow a 180kg motorbike trailer with a 98kg bike on the back and a bit of gear. Would i be safe in 5th on the freeway or keep to 4th. I know 5th isnt a direct gear but how much weight do you need before you just keep it in 4th?

muc the truck

muck the truck

I had never towed in 5th gear, till one day coming back from Cunnamulla to Barringun, and for approx 250km only.
Tail wind, 25-30km/hr flat running, I thought "what could happen", and then it just started revving. !

Opps

Eventually fixed, locally, and I kept the gear, and shaft.
Very poorly designed effort, any wonder people were having trouble.
I didn't say you did .you did buy a used vehicle . If you look at the way fifth gear in anything other than that of a truck or tractor you understand why its so often the gear lost . Its simply just too weak in lots od circumstances so much so in the fine print in owners manual it says not to tow in fifth gear

BarKer

Unless of course your manual doesn't mention not towing in any overdrive gears.. I tow in top gear and more than happy to do so.. Obviously steep inclines etc I might go back a gear or two.. Just have to listen to the engine and how much it is working..

A bike trailer with some gear does not weigh much...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk