How good Navara d22?

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
My son in law is looking to buy a 2013 Dual Cab Nissan Navara D22 Turbo Diesel Manual.
Hope I got all that info right.
He intends to use it for work ( he is a Sparky) , carry his wife and two kids on weekends, holidays, pull a campervan and do a little offroading. Not real heavy , serious offroading.
Hope this question has not been asked before as I could not find any specific previous post.
Cheers.

mauriceb

Heres a photo of a navara i saw at willam creek about 5 weeks ago it was towing a camper ,not the last you'll see like this

Attachments

bally

Banned
usually happens when you've overloaded it andhave airbags...... mates rodeo did it last weekend on fraser.....

TheWall

That photo is of a D40 not a D22. All dual cabs are prone to this if the weight distribution is wrong. Yes, they are 1 tonners but the the 1 ton should not be over or behind the rear axle :mad:

They D22 is now quite old in the design but I saw one the other day for a 27k for a brand new car. Gotta be good value for that.

I have a colleague that is weighing up the same and it has come down to a newish D22 or a Triton or the money.

Good luck!

Matt

nao

id suggest someone has way overdone it in that nav...

D22 is a good reliable but basic car and personally, i dont think u could get much better for the price..

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
That photo is of a D40 not a D22. All dual cabs are prone to this if the weight distribution is wrong. Yes, they are 1 tonners but the the 1 ton should not be over or behind the rear axle :mad:

They D22 is now quite old in the design but I saw one the other day for a 27k for a brand new car. Gotta be good value for that.

I have a colleague that is weighing up the same and it has come down to a newish D22 or a Triton or the money.

Good luck!

Matt
You won't believe this. My son in law was set on a 2013 Triton then he rang me tonight to say he is now looking at the D22.

I drove the 2012 model last year when I was on the hunt for a dual cab. I like the car in general especially the 6 speed manual box but just found that the 2.5 litre engine had to be revved to get any decent power or torque. You had to give it some revs before dropping the clutch as if it was a little petrol motor. Met a guy out at Lake Ballard last year who was on his 2nd or 3rd clutch towing a 2 tonne van. He said he had to always give it heaps of revs to get going otherwise it would stall. He'd also had to have his chassis repaired but also ran air bags.

I think you're always better off getting a 2nd hand car a few years old. save yourself 10-20K and use that for a few repairs and mods.

just my 2c.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Got a response from my son in law after I sent him the link to the above posts.
I don't know it's his research and comments.
Any other comments???
"Quote"

Hey Rog,
Did some research and it seems that the 3lt and 2.5lt turbo diesel motors are very prone to throwing conrods. Alot of mechanics say they only hold 4.5ltrs of oil. About half of what most diesel motors hold. And this is the root of the issues with them. Also they run a single timing chain to make them quieter. These also have a very bad tendancy to snap at around 80,000kms. So needless to say that they are off my list.

Will just have to keep looking.

Cheers for posting that up.

Glenn

"End of Quote"

marty e

Mate that's wrong my triton 2.5 lt diesel holds about 7.6 lt of oil so your sun inlaw is wrong

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 4

Swaggie

Mate that's wrong my triton 2.5 lt diesel holds about 7.6 lt of oil so your sun inlaw is wrong

Yeah with only 3 litres of oil know wonder there throwing conrods..lmao

my 3litre Hilux takes about 7.5 litres.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer

G'day Marty e.
He was refering to the Turbo 2.5 litre and 3.0 litre diesel Navara d22. I am only quoting what some mechanics told him. Is it true that the Navaras only hold around 4.5 litres?
Cheers.

billz0r

If he's thinking of towing, I'd steer clear of the D22. Our next door neighbor's brother just sold his D22 as it had trouble towing a simple box trailer (mower, landscaping gear, most empty to have room to fill with cut down trees, grass, etc). He bought his brothers Triton GLXR instead. The D22 was 3Ltr, the Triton, 2.8 yet pulled much harder.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
If he's thinking of towing, I'd steer clear of the D22. Our next door neighbor's brother just sold his D22 as it had trouble towing a simple box trailer (mower, landscaping gear, most empty to have room to fill with cut down trees, grass, etc). He bought his brothers Triton GLXR instead. The D22 was 3Ltr, the Triton, 2.8 yet pulled much harder.
Thanks. You have confirmed my concerns about Navara.
I did speak to a young bloke around the corner who recently sold his new Dual Cab Turbo Diesel Navara and bought a Dual Cab Turbo Diesel Colarado. He said the Navara could not pull his new campervan up the hills around Montmorency without him virtually stopping and dropping to lowest gears.
A pity but I thought it would do what he expected. I am only asking and learning.
My son in law hopefull will go back to a Triton. I reckon it's good value for money , especially the warranty.
From what I have heard and read the Mazdas/ Rangers BT40 are real good , but hey we are in a different price bracket there.
Thanks for your input.
Cheers.

pbk1776

Bung for the buck
I used to have 1 but sold it recently
Only reason of selling is that I wanted
A live axle vehicle

glennno

Time to stop being a tight arse.

Seeing Roger posted this on my behalf I thought I should jump on and thank everyone for their replies.

I have been looking for a while now and I just keep coming back to the triton GLX 4x4. Its damn cheap and sound fairly reliable and has room for the kids car seats. Test drove a 2013 with 15000kms and a few mods but it had had a pretty hard time in the bush. Car drove very nicely even with a torn gearbox mount and some decent muddies.
Tomorrow I will hit up a few dealers and see what they can do price wise.

If anyone is looking for a 2010 Colorado single cab-chassis td 4x4 (90KM) let me know. This car has been fantastic but it does not have back seats so it must go.

Thanks
Glenn