How do you stop water getting in a snorkel

Bob86

I'm making my own snorkel for a custom job. Looking at other designs they look like rain water will get sucked in. How do you either stop it or deal with it.

I was thinking of a flapper valve on a U bend but there isn't room and I'd worry about the valve getting clogged up and staying open underwater.

John U

Safari has a dispersment type process which is meant to get rid of the water when driving. It’s explained on their website.

Given their snorkels are black plastic, and have a few catch points, there would be plenty of potential for water to get evaporated back out the top once the sun comes out.

mikehzz

The head has little channels and slits around the collar area where it attaches to the main pipe that directs the water back outside. From another site -
I received e-mail back from TJM tech that basically stated –

After extensive R@D testing this snorkel is a superior design and has “ slots “ or channels in the head to help reduce the water entry into the air box and what little water entered the air box was dried out by the heat from the engine. Your email also stated - R&D showed because of the superior design the air box did not require ether a small hole or a 1 way valve at its lowest point to allow the water to exit

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Backwards facing for a custom snorkel would be necessary for stopping most rain etc going in, and yes the plastic factory type with the ram heads are awesome at keeping out the rain.
I know whenever I looked in my airbox after rain it was as dry as a bone in there.

Couple of thoughts.
Maybe you can put a snorkel ram head on your custom stainless pipe . . . OR get hold of a ram head and duplicate the design that channels off rain that enters.
It's be well worth it as the ram effect on these makes them very efficient, offsetting the extra piping amount that's present.

SFA hilux

Has anyone ever had any issues from rain water getting in there snorkel or factory intake? I don’t know, I’ve never heard of it. I don’t personally think it’s a big deal if a bit of rain water goes in your intake.
interested to know if it is an issue.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Has anyone ever had any issues from rain water getting in there snorkel or factory intake? I don’t know, I’ve never heard of it. I don’t personally think it’s a big deal if a bit of rain water goes in your intake.
interested to know if it is an issue.

Most airboxes (where the filter is) would be large, have the intake from the snorkel or factory spot near the bottom, and the outward flow up the top of the airbox.
They should (my old Pajero air box did) have a duck lips drain at the bottom.

Unless the intake of the snorkel or factory spot gets totally submersed, there's very little to worry about unless the airbox doesn't have some sort of drain, and rain was heavy allowing lots to pass through a stainless custom intake for example.

The stock Safari type ram heads, no problems it seems, even the aftermarket copies use the similar wind driven drainage slots where the ram head mounts onto the tube.

cam04

Quite simply the lower tube of the snorkel is always smaller and protrudes up into the head forming a dam. The water runs out the slot in the back at this point. A mate has a PX3 ranger with a ‘custom’ phat as staino jobbie - rearward facing. What the backyard engineer who ‘designed’ this masterpiece forgot to account for was Venturi effect. His ranger has gone into limp mode a number of times in the rain.