How do you make your Beef Jerky

muc the truck

I have never made it. But while I was at Lawn Hill National park a pair of German Back Packers Pulled up beside me in a Van and camped a little distance away . while we were cooking I noticed the had lifted a sheet of fine chicken wire off there roof and it was full of something .
Then I realised it was 2 sheets of mesh and had thin strips of meet dried out between the mesh. I had to walk past them to get to a tap so I asked them about the Beef Jerky. And to my surprise they said not beef , kangaroo. I asked were they got it . then said they seen a truck hit it. well at least its not going to waste. Apparently they had not purchased any meat in Australia on there trip around oz. They didn't own a fridge but had bags of dried out meat they added to pasta. I asked then what they have tried and they said anything fresh road killed . Apparently driving with the wind rushing past the meat was all that was required to make it jerky. while I am not about to try this I do wonder if there is a cheaper way of making jerky without power hungry electrical items. wondering if a industrial fan would do it .

I dry roo meat by using a banana box with a 40 watt light sitting in the base. cut your chosen meat with the grain and approx. 10 -15 mm square, put the meat is a glass dish and cover it with rock salt for an hour, longer if you like it salty. take it out and wash the salt off in a bowl of white vinegar then roll it in your favourite spices, thread it on some stainless steel wire/rod and hang it in the top of the banana box turn the light on, two days later check it and after three days it should be dryed out enough. when the thinner ones are ready I usually get in all off and lay the greener bits in open containers so the continue to dry until they are at my desired stage, eat away.

muc the truck

I dry roo meat by using a banana box with a 40 watt light sitting in the base. cut your chosen meat with the grain and approx. 10 -15 mm square, put the meat is a glass dish and cover it with rock salt for an hour, longer if you like it salty. take it out and wash the salt off in a bowl of white vinegar then roll it in your favourite spices, thread it on some stainless steel wire/rod and hang it in the top of the banana box turn the light on, two days later check it and after three days it should be dryed out enough. when the thinner ones are ready I usually get in all off and lay the greener bits in open containers so the continue to dry until they are at my desired stage, eat away.
thanks for that , I didn't think a light bulb would do It .

image.jpg
I started out with a 20 watt globe but it just took to long. This is all it is, to keep the heat were its needed but also to get airflow.