Grumpy

Here's my Questions,

1. who uses what system for showering ect

2. are on board car ones better than say a coleman or primus

3. does everone use shower tents and how for from the unit are they

4. do they have a heat adjusting setting

CHEERS

Pure Yobbo

We have a big rubber bucket. Boil the billy add some cold water and have one of those 12 volt pump / shower things.

We have a shower tent and we use that also have stand for the shower they all work a treat.

I have just inherited a couple of the solar showers so we will be trying those as well.

Cheers

Gunna

We have a big rubber bucket. Boil the billy add some cold water and have one of those 12 volt pump / shower things.

We have a shower tent and we use that also have stand for the shower they all work a treat.

I have just inherited a couple of the solar showers so we will be trying those as well.

Cheers
We do the same as Yobbo but heat water in the solar bags seems to work ok

Grumpy

Have you drill extra holes in it? Works a treat.

But I supose when you get older you need a really hot shower hey Grumpy?

Yobbo one things for sure, I'm already there u have a way to go yet, tell me how your travelling at my age when u get there, anyway it's not for me I really dont care much it's only dirt anyway.

Pure Yobbo

Yobbo one things for sure, I'm already there u have a way to go yet, tell me how your travelling at my age when u get there, anyway it's not for me I really dont care much it's only dirt anyway.

Umm does that class as a bite?

Quozie has one he found on e-bay in his Patrol. Heated the water fine but it really needed some sort of pump to push the water through a bit more effeciently.

Cheers

Davidman

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
Same as Pure Yobbo.

We use a 12V shower unit Primus 12V Camp Shower - Camping Accessories - Portable 12V Showers and Accessories - 4wd Recovery Gear | 4wd Accessories | 4wd Equipment and Camping Gear Australia | Axe and Shovel Holder | Combo Shovel | Synthetic Winch Rope | Camping Lights| Autof which draws water from a collapsible bucket ( 60 Litre ). The bucket sits in the shower / toilet tent and the water is heated on the fire or gas cooktop in a 15 litre pot. Add 15 litres of cold and you have 30 litres of warm / hot water. At 4 to 6 litres per minute ( shower is adjustable ), that is a minimum 5 minute hot shower. I have modified the rear 12V socket in rear of Pajero to be a 5 metre extension lead with a female 12V cig lighter attachment on the end. Tent was about $70.00, shower was about $30.00, bucket about $10.00. Works great and the better half loves it.

Grumpy

Yeah have been talking with Jok (Traveller) he has an onboard one called a helton i think, looked them up and there about $300 with a pump. Colemans are now close enough to $500 and Primus ones are about $400.

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
I load up the solar showers and pour them into pop up bucket. Use the 12 volt shower in the shower tent. Am thinking of making a heat exchanger off the engine. Gota get motivated, need another beer!

Traveller

That primus pump/shower head looks the same as a "turbo shower", similar price too.
We took one of them while travelling Aust, but only used it a couple of times as too slack
to heat some water:eek: Just as easy to jump in the creek/river usually-obviously not in
croc country tho':D

Have now got a Helton how water unit under the bonnet-this is a heat exchanger style, with
pump/ shower head attached. They use the engine water to heat fresh water in the
exchanger, keeping the two waters separate obviously. There are a few on the market,
Helton being a full copper unit, with Twine/Glind/Pirhanna using a polycarbonate shell around
the copper coils. Most use a flojet or surflo pump, with the helton using a basic turbo pump.
Nowhere near the pressure or flow of the others, perhaps this is why it has a rep as being
hotter water?
A mate has a primus gas hot water system, where a burner system heats the water and
pumps it thru a shower head, very good in my thoughts, almost too hot-could do with a
bigger pump-this would use more water, but would be a bit cooler(plenty of thermostat on
the unit) and better pressure.
Another bloke I did a trip with a few weeks ago had a coleman system, this looked pretty
good, was great for just a quick bit of water for doing the dishes etc, but don't know what
it's like when used as a shower heater-would like to play with one of these a bit more
yet as well as the primus unit.
The main reason I got an underbonnet set up was to minimalize extra boxes etc in the
back of the wagon.
The unit is atached to the firewall, with the hose connections closer to the front of
the bonnet- air fitting is hot water outlet, hose fitting is cold water inlet.
892895_4x4004.jpg

238229_LooseNutsTrip010.jpg

Jok

Last edited:

Adventure guy

OK, used Coleman Hot water on demand many times, has a large adjustable dial at the the front for water temperature, from stone cold, goes from warm to really too hot in 2 to 5 seconds.
Runs from own battery (charged from AC or DC) and own gas supply, via own bottle or hose to bottle.
Works very well, can put water drawing hose in bucket,river or wherever.
Seen at Rays (19/4/09) for $350

Grumpy

OK, used Coleman Hot water on demand many times, has a large adjustable dial at the the front for water temperature, from stone cold, goes from warm to really too hot in 2 to 5 seconds.
Runs from own battery (charged from AC or DC) and own gas supply, via own bottle or hose to bottle.
Works very well, can put water drawing hose in bucket,river or wherever.
Seen at Rays (19/4/09) for $350[/quote

Can u adjust them to suit different peoples needs temp wise.