Maree
Oodnadatta
Mt Dare
Birdsville
Innaminka
Cameron corner
Tibooburra
sydney

quick question on water and food provisioning.

re water: do people generally take drinking water from home and just fill up tank water for washing up etc as they go? Do roadhouses sell water in bulk? where do you replenish water supplies from? are these drinking water quality?

re food: similar questions. Do the roadhouses and town have supplies of bread, milk, meat and veg or is it generally canned stuff so bring the perishable from home?
any hints and tips you can share would be much appreciated

Toddyh

Most isolated towns will have water that it drinkable but it's likely to be bore water so may not taste great. I don't remember if they sold bulk water but I don't think so from memory.
As for food they might have some fruit and vege (I know Maree does) but it will be very limited. They will have frozen bread and frozen meat.

deepop

4x4 Earth Contributer
you know you're outback when the bread's in the freezer and the milk's on the shelf.
I'm usually very careful with drinking water and take enough from home. When I have room I fill jerry's etc. with town/available water and use for washing up. If it's potable (drinking) then I'll use it for cooking as well.
My trips don't last long enough to use all my Melb. water when I'm drinking it only. If I have to drink town water I'll purify it just in case - don't need four sick kids if I can help it.

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
Here is what we do
Water
2 x 20L Jerry (40L) Adelaide Tap water for washing up / cooking - lasts us about 10 days
4 x 10L Boxes of Spring Water for drinking & cooking (when Jerry water has run out)
The places outlined sell boxes of spring water so you're good there
Milk
Fresh milk in a fridge will last about a week then switch to UHT Long Life
Food
Precook your meals, let them cool then vacseal in a bag then freeze, if you have a 4wd freezer then keep frozen until the day you need that meal, in a fridge should last about a week - remember it is cooked & frozen but will thaw in a fridge so we would eat any white meat meals first.
Vegetables
typically can't be taken across the borders unless in a sealed packet with a Purchase Docket
Bread
a sliced loaf should last about 3-4 days but then you can also take a unsliced loaf which will last a little longer - we typically go to wraps after that
Back up
Do yourself a favour and take back up canned or packet meals - eg Corned Beef Hash - Deb Mashed Potato & Corned Beef mashed together, Canned Soups etc

Hope this helps

cheers

Superdad

Here is what we do
Water
2 x 20L Jerry (40L) Adelaide Tap water for washing up / cooking - lasts us about 10 days
4 x 10L Boxes of Spring Water for drinking & cooking (when Jerry water has run out)
The places outlined sell boxes of spring water so you're good there
Milk
Fresh milk in a fridge will last about a week then switch to UHT Long Life
Food
Precook your meals, let them cool then vacseal in a bag then freeze, if you have a 4wd freezer then keep frozen until the day you need that meal, in a fridge should last about a week - remember it is cooked & frozen but will thaw in a fridge so we would eat any white meat meals first.
Vegetables
typically can't be taken across the borders unless in a sealed packet with a Purchase Docket
Bread
a sliced loaf should last about 3-4 days but then you can also take a unsliced loaf which will last a little longer - we typically go to wraps after that
Back up
Do yourself a favour and take back up canned or packet meals - eg Corned Beef Hash - Deb Mashed Potato & Corned Beef mashed together, Canned Soups etc

Hope this helps

cheers
Thanks Les. Valuable advice as always

Albynsw

Marree and birdsville both bake their own bread and pies
Tibooburra has a reasonable grocery store and Innaminka has a typical servo style supplies
Broken Hill has everything you need so would be the best place to stock up
In general we buy our drinking water and use whatever other water we get for washing Etc
In my opinion it is not worth the risk of getting sick from a potential bug in the the water when away
Most of the roadhouses sell cask water

Ziggy

I'm fussy about bread - that white fluff in plastic bags is cake, not bread! - and buy a few loaves of 100% sourdough from an artisan baker before setting out. Can last up to 3 weeks unrefrigerated in mild weather, has taste and you only need half the number of slices for a feed.

Albynsw

I'm fussy about bread - that white fluff in plastic bags is cake, not bread! - and buy a few loaves of 100% sourdough from an artisan baker before setting out. Can last up to 3 weeks unrefrigerated in mild weather, has taste and you only need half the number of slices for a feed.

Yeah same here
We sometimes take Lebanese bread or the Pita pocket bread that you can buy in sealed bags. Lasts for ages
Also use cruskits or Ryvitas etc instead of bread for lunch sandwiches

cactusfizzy61

DRy biscuits are the go many to choose from,small tins if you by ya self, if you not like taste of water add few drops of lemon or lime juice and it helps you keep hydrated if you use more. I always have a cup of lemon juice in morning good for health too..Bananas also keep you hydrated and stop you from feeling hungry just buy em greenish ...

Mr Rum

4x4 Earth Legend
As cookie64 mentioned, consider quarantine restrictions.
You can find everything you need to know at..
http://www.quarantinedomestic.gov.au/index.php

On my first ever drive out that way I didn't realise how far North the Fruit Fly Exclusion Zone extended, and had to offload some fruit and veg I had bought earlier the same day. Rookie error.

I've recently made the switch from UHT milk to powdered. It's light, and you can pack 20L worth into a relatively small space. As water is easier to come by than milk, you effectively have more access to milk this way too.
You can also add it to recipes and hot drinks in powdered form, saving you even more fridge space.
Your trip isn't going to have you that far from places to restock your milk supply though, so if you prefer UHT to powder, stick with it.

As for water, I happily drink town supply all around the country, and I'm yet to get crook as a result. If it's good enough for the locals, I'm willing to take the chance.
If you are concerned though, you can always use purification tablets (Aquatabs, Micropur, etc...), or boil the water if you've got the time.
If water tastes bad and you're just drinking it for hydration, cordial is a good way to mask bad flavours.

Depending how soon you're leaving, we may pass paths at some point. If you see a silver 2013 HiLux with "MR RUM" rego, say g'day.