Holden No More

Zamunda

Thank you GM for killing off an Aussie icon.

GM never knew what they were doing.

Hoyks

They had no intention of keeping it alive, for years they took the government handouts to keep production kicking over, but once that dried up there was nothing keeping them even pretending to be in the game still.

Then they appointed a managing director that was spotted at a Toyota dealership buying a new Hilux and resigned a couple of days later.

Unfortunately it probably shows that all those knobs with the chevy badges on their commodores knew the truth all along:oops:

Colly18

Yep, sad!; but not totally unexpected news in the global economy (that appears to reign supreme these days).
Of more interest to me is the fact that we in Oz are in the quite small minority (in global terms) who drive on the left hand side of the road. Guess it will be "too hard"to address that issue!?
But for the record IMO Holden have nothing to prove to the world - they did a brilliant job in providing vehicles to meet Australian consumer needs for over half a century!
The demise of the brand will be sad for our long lasting Holden-Ford rivalry; and I wonder what will happen with the V8 SuperCars?

Hoyks

The demise of the brand will be sad for our long lasting Holden-Ford rivalry; and I wonder what will happen with the V8 SuperCars?

The V8 Taxi racing will continue in the short term, they allowed the other brands in so it didn't die completely.

Before you know it, it will be EV racing anyway.
Imagine the excitement as they come into the pits and we are on the edge of our seats waiting to see who can complete the 6-8hr charge cycle quickest ;).

mikehzz

I used to love Holdens but they haven't made a car I would buy in over 20 years. Nissan too in my case. There's two brands that went from top of my list to not on my list.

CTL

So what happens to the Colorado/Trailblazer now that GM have sold their Thai factory to Great Wall? Will future Colorados be rebadged GWs?

mikehzz

So what happens to the Colorado/Trailblazer now that GM have sold their Thai factory to Great Wall? Will future Colorados be rebadged GWs?
They're ceasing production of them according to a Carsguide article. GM no longer doing right hand drive.

Zamunda

They're ceasing production of them according to a Carsguide article. GM no longer doing right hand drive.
GM (and other US car brands) are blaming their shrinking markets on the "global economy." Then how come the Chinese are buying up their plants? Not like the Chinese are dumb. Clearly, Detriot has been sleeping at the wheel.

Hoyks

GM (and other US car brands) are blaming their shrinking markets on the "global economy." Then how come the Chinese are buying up their plants? Not like the Chinese are dumb. Clearly, Detriot has been sleeping at the wheel.
I've been to the US quite a few times and just about every time I've been given a US built car as a rental. Although the 6.7L and 1000 lb-ft of torque is a lot of fun, they all seem to handle like boats or if I'm unluck and get the 4cyl, they are gutless, yet also thirsty.

I'd go Japanese or Korean anyday