HJ60 Landcruiser spring over conversion?

centaur

I have a HJ60 Landcruiser, and I am contemplating a spring over axle conversion. I have seen the results of these, and they are quite impressive. I have only spoken, briefly, to one guy who had it done, and apart from lurching more on the road, reckons it was as safe as houses on racks, with heaps of clearance.

I would like other views on them... I have a Diesel, 5 speed and 31x15x10.5 Kumho 834's, and would like to know other views on this setup. It does not seem overly complicated to do, of course to get the welding/conversion done by experts, but if others have done it, or known someone who has done it, and tell what they thought of it.

It will be interesting to hear, what do ya think???

4X4

Insurance would be an issue. I think they would want an engineers certificate. Drive line angles might need to be looked at & brake lines might need to be lengthened.

centaur

Any information regarding this would be helpful, whether you have done it, seen it done or know whether it is worthwhile doing, or any pitfalls that I have not been told about?

ZORDO

First problem . spring over on a sixty is about a 8" lift.
No way is a 8" lifted sixty going to handle great.
there is a sprung over sixty near me on 35s & it looks like it going to fall over while it is parked :eek:
There cost of doing a spring over wwould probably cost more than the sixty is worth.
If you want some height do 2" suspension & 2" bodylift
cheers

Nitro

hey champ i think that zordo is right it will give you about an 8inch lift which will be fairly unstable, with a lift of 4inch and above you will need to extend your tail shafts, panhard rod, etc so that the truck tracks corectly. widening the trucks stance will give it some more stability but there are limits to how far you can go. i would suggest talking to a suspension specalist and they will point you in the right direction and if you are handy with the spanners you can get the kit and install it your self. i have a mate in armidale that has a 60 series ute as a farm vehicle which we are going to do a spring over conversion to but it will never be registered so i can keep you posted on how it goes and tell you how unstable it really is. cheers joe

centaur

hey champ i think that zordo is right it will give you about an 8inch lift which will be fairly unstable, with a lift of 4inch and above you will need to extend your tail shafts, panhard rod, etc so that the truck tracks corectly. widening the trucks stance will give it some more stability but there are limits to how far you can go. i would suggest talking to a suspension specalist and they will point you in the right direction and if you are handy with the spanners you can get the kit and install it your self. i have a mate in armidale that has a 60 series ute as a farm vehicle which we are going to do a spring over conversion to but it will never be registered so i can keep you posted on how it goes and tell you how unstable it really is. cheers joe
Thanks for that. I will be very interested in how it goes.:D I have spoken to a LOT of people about it, and the general consesus is not to do it. Not only the cost, but the boys in blue start to pay particular attention to it as well,:eek: which is one thing I want to avoid...... :rolleyes::rolleyes:
But out camping, I have seen a couple of them, and they went EVERYWHERE!! Mind you, they were more like competition vehicles, so, the reason for the lift. Just asking to see if anyone has done it, what did the vehicle handle like, etc.

BUSHNUT

4x4 Earth Contributer
Agree totally with Zordo, when I had my old 60, I gave her a 2" lift and she went everywhere . With the way the Department of name change are bulldozing everything in sight, a good many tracks have become sookie la la now, spend the money on a nice turbo instead and/or intercool it .

centaur

Agree totally with Zordo, when I had my old 60, I gave her a 2" lift and she went everywhere . With the way the Department of name change are bulldozing everything in sight, a good many tracks have become sookie la la now, spend the money on a nice turbo instead and/or intercool it .
Thanks for the reply bushnut. Thats what I have been advised to do. Just a 2" lift, some anti-inversion shackles, and maybe a body lift. Which is what I plan to do when the finances improve. The spring over axle seemed like a good idea at the time, but after everyone I spkoe to, it seems to be the worst thing I can to do my truck, especially as it is my daily driver. But, I am new to this, and if you dont ask, you dont find out..

Thanks for the replies.....

Reactions: MGN

BUSHNUT

4x4 Earth Contributer
The only down point to leaf springs is with all bitumen driving most fourbies do, the leaves get a build up of rust and sort of fuse together as they are not put to work like they should be.

The best thing you can do with them is take on a rough track somewhere and work the beejeezuz out of them, freeing up the leaves and they will move and operate just as comfortable as coils .

Don't worry about being new to the scene, the thing to keep in the back of your mind is generally a fourby has been designed to work well with it's standard set up, this is not the case with Toyota after the sixty series, when they started putting hilux diffs in the front axel, a mate of mine sheared 3 on heavy track work in his 80 series, Toyota are still persisting with this stupid idea .

The 60 series was the best Toyota made.

Sharky

Been there done that. You can get permits for it.

Bushnut is right.

You also need to sort out the tailshaft as the angle will change that much that u will kill the uni's in 5mins.

It gives u about a 6" lift & the claimed results are exaggerated. It'll make ya 31's look puny! I've seen it done to 3 hilux's & 2 60's with very little handling difference as a result. There is a difference in handling but it comes from the change in centre of gravity & top end weight rather than the axle being under the spring instead of on top of it. People do the job, notice a diffference & presume they did a good thing. U r better off getting extended shackles, or even better......drop shackles, change ya leaf packs to a lift pack, leaves effectively longer but with a greater curve. I think OME do some. Then, if u wanna go higher, do a body lift. You can get up to 5" lift without doing a spring over conversion.

What r u actually trying to achieve? Higher lift? Better or more articulation? Softer ride?
I can tell u how to make your car articulate better than many coil sprung cars. It depends on wot u already have & how much u wanna spend. Leaf springs are under rated coz few know wot to do with them. I just wish I had the time to finish my car so I could prove it.

This is what to do/use:

8leaf rear pack with 1 or no load bearer.
7leaf front.
If removing leaves, remove the shortest thickest one, but I can't be there to show u so some trial & error may need to happen. Shorter pins can be purchased from most susp outlets. Sand all leaves individually until smooth & even, then liberally paste with marine or dialectric grease, keeping side edges clean. Reasseble, then spray paint the pack. Don't use parabolic springs.

Replace bushes with nolothane.

Use tough dog adj shockies if poss. Depending on wot shocks u use, u may want to fit new mounts elsewhere, but I'll hold back on advising on that for legal/safety reasons. I've done it to my car but I know wot I'm doing.

Use superior engineerings 3way drop shackles rear & snake racing's drop shackles rear. Snake's don't have the uni joint in them which if fitted to the front can make it sloppy on the road. These shackles will give u about 35mm of lift. They will give you up to 28" of travel OVER STOCK. U may need to get wheel spacers for off rd use if tyres rub on chassis when lock pins r released. Use snake racing 2" spacers. They have the strongest spacers. Just doing this can increase articulation as u r increasing diff leverage. I'd personally leave them bolted on & IF u ever get pulled over....claim ignorance & tell em u will pull em off as soon as u r home ;)

Use 2" body lift blocks. I've found with 60 & 70/75 series that this height makes for good centre of gravity & a good roll over balance peak.

You may wanna consider ditching the 31's for a set of 33's after this. U would b best to get a set of 15x8" rims with biggest negative offset u can. I think neg20 is the max but it adds up. I'm pretty sure ya tyres will still be inside the guards after this, if u have flares that is.

Last edited:

centaur

Thanks for the great advice. No-one I have spoken to has gone into that much detail. That is a very comprehensive outline, and it seems to have come from first hand knowledge. Exactly what I need. As I dont have the money to waste, this gives me a great outline of what to do, once again, thanks.

big_60series

hey there guys,
well my 60 series is sprung over,also has the high roof. It flexes even though the leaves are so sagged there bowing the other way at the front.
1. it does sway around corners(also has no sway bars probaly doesnt help that) but its not a sports car, more hieght and flex you want the less on road handling you have. You can buy sway bar discountion kits. You could also consider ajustable shocks(stiffen them up on the road)eg ranchos,tough dogs.
2. its a bit*h to get in and out of and to get camping gear out of the back but its easy to vaccum lol.....
3. You will need bigger tyres...at least 35 inch by 12.5 wide with offset rims
4. You can do a u bolts flip so your u bolts dont catch on rocks(extra clearance)recommend cause you have to re weld your spring purches anyway
5. looks cool
6. no more going in shopping centres
7. can be engineered as mine is in nsw

Any more info you want to know just ask and i will try and answer your quetions
i will try to get some photos for you so you can make up your own mind as to what you want

jessie928

one important thing to rmember is as you go up, you must go out aswell to counter the COG problem.
if you lift the truck, you must increase the wheel track. with a spring over, you need heaps and heaps of negative offset.

Jes

Offrdn60

hey there guys,
well my 60 series is sprung over,also has the high roof. It flexes even though the leaves are so sagged there bowing the other way at the front.
1. it does sway around corners(also has no sway bars probaly doesnt help that) but its not a sports car, more hieght and flex you want the less on road handling you have. You can buy sway bar discountion kits. You could also consider ajustable shocks(stiffen them up on the road)eg ranchos,tough dogs.
2. its a bit*h to get in and out of and to get camping gear out of the back but its easy to vaccum lol.....
3. You will need bigger tyres...at least 35 inch by 12.5 wide with offset rims
4. You can do a u bolts flip so your u bolts dont catch on rocks(extra clearance)recommend cause you have to re weld your spring purches anyway
5. looks cool
6. no more going in shopping centres
7. can be engineered as mine is in nsw

Any more info you want to know just ask and i will try and answer your quetions
i will try to get some photos for you so you can make up your own mind as to what you want
It would be Great to c some pics

grit

You often hear ppl warn that leaf springs will be more prone to sagging after an over axle lift. I believe any effect is more the effect of the additional leverage caused by the lift than the fact that the springs are now above the axle. Its noticable with any appreciable lift, especially under brakes as the leaf attempts to take the shape of an "S", although less so when the leaf pack is substantial. I lean more towards matching the lift to my tyre size. Just high enough for the tyres to clear the body under maximum flex, then matching shocks to ensure full flex at ideal weight load. Its all a bit of a comprimise, but the results can be amazing when you get the calculations right.

joebejeckel

underslung rear axle

my rodeo has underslung leafs at rear, can they be switched to overs to get a bit more clearance

joe...