Hj45 Body Swap

Binalong

Has anyone put a fj40 or the later model mid wheel base body onto a 78 chassis?:confused:
As I will explain my plan, I have a 78 ute, and want to swap a shorty or Mid W/B body onto the chassis: 1 to enable it be locked and secure 2: it will give me the ride of a long wheel base as my plans are to modify the ute to travel, the MIGHTY "H" donk has 73000 k`s so swapping the motor is not warranted ..YET. But as most would know it is a firebreathing, stump pulling mind boggling motor ... NOT:eek:... also I would like A/C, P/ST, etc
any ideas would be appreciated please :)

jackhammer

sounds like a fun project,
I'm not sure about the old 40 series body but i have seen a bundra body used
the back doors were closed up with a ute window fitted and rear wheel archs closed up to, not sure if the body mounts would have to be changed to much
But it might be worth looking into and it's pretty easy to get the options your looking for too,and its still the same era!
Keep in contact would love to know how you went!:cool:

Binalong

YEH... I will once the nutting out is sorted, I have seen an FJ40 body on a 77 chassis.. looked good too, one other option is a troopy body with the shorty roof and side panels with a handmade bottom piece to enclose the base, but I would prefer the Bundera shape tho, the main hassle will be if the front mounts for the body match whats on the ute chassis now, and the rest can be made or moved :D

Last edited:

croozza

Has anyone put a fj40 or the later model mid wheel base body onto a 78 chassis?:confused:
As I will explain my plan, I have a 78 ute, and want to swap a shorty or Mid W/B body onto the chassis: 1 to enable it be locked and secure 2: it will give me the ride of a long wheel base as my plans are to modify the ute to travel, the MIGHTY "H" donk has 73000 k`s so swapping the motor is not warranted ..YET. But as most would know it is a firebreathing, stump pulling mind boggling motor ... NOT:eek:... also I would like A/C, P/ST, etc

How good are you at welding?
That is going to be a big job due to the fact the 40 is alot narrower than th 78, so you will need to make new mounts locations in the body of the 40, and they will have to be extremely strong. would be easier to find an early 70 or 75.

Binalong

Sorry ... I may have misled with my description... it will going onto a 1978 chassis, dummy me ... I put "78" and yep it could be read as model 78 ... sorry if I misled anyone ... but I still want to go and do it, and once the "H" donk goes to heaven ,,, more than likely out live me !!!:( ... does a 5 speed fit behind the H, I realise it will invlve tweaking , but when the H dies, everything will be there for a later motor :D:D:D

croozza

Ok now that we are on the same page....... If your 4 speed is the one that has the hand brake at the back of the box, al la Patrol, then you will have to change the rear diff for the later model, otherwise all systems are go, will bolt straight on just like a 60 series. The H donk although not powerful is very torquey, bung on a turbo and you will have an awesome motor.

jackhammer

put up some progress shots as you go

love checking out different body mods and ideas we all come up with, i've done it and wouldn't chage it at all but its alot of bloody work!!!!:D

Binalong

Bewty
ok the handbrake I have on my 4 speed is the rear one (on rear shaft), but my main concern is the later body, will it fit? or simply, what body will bolt to my 1978 chassis without major mods ... hopefully the newer 75 series look alike will, correct me if I`m wrong, but that shape came out in 83 - 84? :D:D if the later shape will, then I have something to work with, it is all going to hinge on what body fits ... hoo hoo plan is coming

Binalong

OK ... update time .... not having much luck with my plan, NSW RTA wants to put numerous hurdles up:mad::mad: it seems it will classed as a rebody (yep- sure is) but then a whole new can of worms open up as toyota didnt make one :mad::mad: so at the moment looking at different options ... may go for a nissan swb now, has to have 4.2 diesel, air steer 5 seats etc ... recently miss 2 great buys ... bugga :(:(

Smiley4x4

Hi Bin,
I don't know how far you are with your project.I tried to fit a Shorty to an 80 series and I have seen others already done .
If you are fitting or want to fit a Shorty to a ute chassis wouldn't it be easier to get a Troopy and just cut and shut a Forty series rear to the front cab and try to get a ,81 model so you get the crossmember and split transfer and maybe even powersteering and air all at once ,

all the best ,
Smiley