Hilux starting problem

BonZa

got an old 1994 twin cab 2wd Hilux with the petrol 22R motor

have a problem starting it.
stick key in ignition, turn ignition on and all the instrument lights come on ok, turn further to "start" then nothing, dead silence. the starter motor doesnt crank, no click absolutely nothing. try again a couple of seconds later then the starter motor fires up and the engine cranks ok. been doing this for a couple of months. seems worse when its real cold and this morning was down to about 5 degrees. sometime it takes about five goes befor it decides to crank

things done so far, a new ignition key barrel, a new ignition switch, checked battery terminals and cleaned, un plugged the stater motor solenoid and hot wire from the battery and cleaned, and this morning took out the starter and bench tested. worked perfectly every time. bolted it back in again and tried with the key, nothing silence. tried again and on the third go the starter motor decided to crank and fire

got me beat. any clues out there

typhoeus

Have you chevked the body to engine block earth? Also try hooking up a test light to the wire which activates the solenoid at the solenoid terminal. If the light comes on when u turn the key but get no cranking, the problem is in the starter/solenoid. If the light dosnt come on whe u turn it to start, the issue is in the wiring, switch or relays

BonZa

fone of the first things I did was undo the engine block to body earth strap and polished the bejesus outa it and every other earth point I could find, along with battery connections, but still no good.

good point about using a test light for the wire where it connects to solenoid.

when I had the starter out, naturally I tested that but by shorting the hot wire from the starter to the solenoid lug, but of course that wasnt through the switch. the only thing havent replaced is the starter relay, and the wiring.
went to the wreckers this arvo to try and find another relay, plenty of Toyos there but couldnt find the specific relay to suit.

typhoeus

So she fires up if you hot wire it direct to the solenoid ? If so, then its likely to be the relay. That would have done a lot of work over the years, . . every single start X number of times per day X number of days , , ,, adds up

BonZa

the relay has "self timer" embossed on it as well as the Toyota - NipponDenso part number

a quick google of the particular part number reveals a few starting problems exactly as the one I described with the offender being the "self timer relay" and detailing an upgraded relay part number from Toyota

ring up the local dealer and straight away the grumpy parts guy cuts me off as part numbers are meant to start with a certain number.
so kindly ask him to enter the upgraded number (which starts with the old number anyway) and it comes up.
trouble is, computer says none in Australia, 8 week delivery and it will cost just shy of $100
oh! what a feeling!

so give that a miss. go to my favourite US auto parts website, enter the part number in search and three different options of brands come up. the cheapest being US$8. go for the more expensive one at US$27. still less than half the cost including delivery quoted from Toyota. and expected delivery to my front door in 12 days

BonZa

for anyone who is interested and may have the same problem in the future

it was the starter relay

the problem was worse early in the morning when things were real cold. several turns on the key and nothing would happen, no click just dead silence, then after several attempts the starter would crank.

to get around this found that by warming up the relay with a hairdryer it would crank first time no worries

the existing relay has "Timer" printed on it and part number 28341-11010. checking through the Toyota part numbers this has been superceded by part number 28300-10020.

none available in Australia for 8 weeks according to the local dealer so ordered one from Rockauto in USA last week and it lobs up yesterday.

fitted it to the 'lux early this morning and cranks over first time. Yippee!
try again, same result. been months since it has done that. so all looks good for now
will post back with an update if it stays good

Last edited:

typhoeus

Good result then, specially getting the part from US in short time like that. I had a Triumph sprint 995 and the waterpump died. Triumph Aus wanted $300 odd for a new one with an 8 week wait. I ordered one from a Californian triumph dealer and had it one week later fir about $190. So it pays to shop around. Local dealers just dont understand whats required for customer loyalty these days

BonZa

Good result then, specially getting the part from US in short time like that. I had a Triumph sprint 995 and the waterpump died. Triumph Aus wanted $300 odd for a new one with an 8 week wait. I ordered one from a Californian triumph dealer and had it one week later fir about $190. So it pays to shop around. Local dealers just dont understand whats required for customer loyalty these days

Triumph Sprint! great bike
hey, good to see another Trumpy rider on the forum. and I buy all my bike spare parts, accessories etc from the States for the same reason. except for chains, sprockets, brake pads and discs. Metalgear in Qld. are fantastic for these, German company that has set up Australia, go figure

Jason Watt

I was going to say "It's the starter relay" - but you got it sorted.
Memo to all: If you turn the key and don't hear a "Click" from the relay - well there you go.
Check any associated fuse in the fuse block too.
If you do hear the relay "click" and still no cranking happens it's either a block Earthing or battery termination issue, crap battery, crap starter solenoid or starter motor in which case begin worrying, reach for the trusty Sidchromes and check your available finances.

Zob

for anyone who is interested and may have the same problem in the future

it was the starter relay

the problem was worse early in the morning when things were real cold. several turns on the key and nothing would happen, no click just dead silence, then after several attempts the starter would crank.

to get around this found that by warming up the relay with a hairdryer it would crank first time no worries

the existing relay has "Timer" printed on it and part number 28341-11010. checking through the Toyota part numbers this has been superceded by part number 28300-10020.

none available in Australia for 8 weeks according to the local dealer so ordered one from Rockauto in USA last week and it lobs up yesterday.

fitted it to the 'lux early this morning and cranks over first time. Yippee!
try again, same result. been months since it has done that. so all looks good for now
will post back with an update if it stays good
Hi mate,

i am not sure if you still on the forum
I have 1993 hilux rn105 22r peteol.

its start doing same problem as you mentioned previously on your car. I am looking for a relay but unfortunately cant find its not available in Australia. The part number you mentioned on your post It looks similar to my starter relay but that relay has a plastic piece in the middle. The one currently on my car it doesn’t have any plastic bar in the middle. Do you reckon i should order the relay and just break that plastic bar?

thanks heaps

BonZa

sorry for the late reply. been "isolating" camped in the bush.
how the years pass. on a good note the Hilux has worked fine since installing this relay 28300-10020. my son drives it and it starts first time every time. I dont remember the plastic tang/bar but it is just a locator that should have a matching hole it goes into so it could be snapped off if required.
I can check when he's home tomorrow

whats the part number on your relay? is it 28341-11010?

Zob

Yes it is 28341-11010, but I ordered from same website from US. The new part number is 28341-11020

BonZa

just checked and it has the plastic tang and the hole to take it
first image is the relay in place and the second it is removed and upside down
IMG_20210810_081749536.jpg
IMG_20210810_081908785.jpg

Zob

Much appreciated mate
Look similar to my fuse box, Waiting for my parcel to get delivered.