Hilux SR5 V's Navara ST-X

Big Matt

Ok guys i need some input

Were looking at getting a couple of new work cars, and so far we have got it down to 2 contenders. We already have a favorite, but im after some input on other peoples thoughts and experiences.
Price isn't really an issue for what were doing, were more after good and bad points

Cheers .....

jack48

Ok guys i need some input

Were looking at getting a couple of new work cars, and so far we have got it down to 2 contenders. We already have a favorite, but im after some input on other peoples thoughts and experiences.
Price isn't really an issue for what were doing, were more after good and bad points

Cheers .....

Check rear seat/door access, and seating for adults and see which has more room to get in and out of, if you can do it Matt thats the one to go for LOL

Big Matt

The navara has more room in it than the Lux, front and back, but having talked to a few people reliability of the Nav comes into question

Pure Yobbo

The rear seats fold up in the NAV STX which is a great feature.

We run 3 of them at work the Petrol STX has about 65K on it and gets a really hard time - never had a prob. The two ST's are doing unreal as well no problems with either one has about 25k and does mostly highway work and the other is mine which does a bit of everything. At the time we looked the Navs were about the best package.

Got a duel cab hilux workmate as well it's going OK but we have only had it a few weeks and isn't an apples for apples comparison.

Big Matt

The rear seats fold up in the NAV STX which is a great feature.

We run 3 of them at work the Petrol STX has about 65K on it and gets a really hard time - never had a prob. The two ST's are doing unreal as well no problems with either one has about 25k and does mostly highway work and the other is mine which does a bit of everything. At the time we looked the Navs were about the best package.

Got a duel cab hilux workmate as well it's going OK but we have only had it a few weeks and isn't an apples for apples comparison.

Have you had any fuel or brake issues with the Navs ?

Pure Yobbo

Have you had any fuel or brake issues with the Navs ?

Other than having to put fuel in them :rolleyes::rolleyes: they have all been fine. We tow some pretty big trailers around (upto 3 ton) and never had a prob with any of them.

Never heard of brake or fuel issues with them. Someone mentioned cracking chassis at some stage but I think they were bolting some pretty wild tray contraptions on the back

Georgealmighty

the older d22 model navara, still being sold brand new with the new 3L diesel are reliable as all hell.
i used to see many come through our workshop that had spent 250 000kms patroling sewers etc and they only every needed servicing, 1 out of 3 of them blew a intake gasket, but thats it. they go wheel bearings done every 20 000kms and i would swear by them after seeing what they had to put up with.

croozza

Well with any vehicle, as long as it gets serviced regularly, you shouldn't have any problems with it, my work has many Lux's and many Nav's, and they haven't had any problems with them, it will jus come down to personal taste and who give the better deal, and I do believe there is a new Lux (could be just an update) coming out very soon so Toyota will be willing to sell a few before it comes out. It is ment to have about 200kw for the petrol and 155kw for the diesel. The diesel motor should be updated for the Prado also FYI. So you could wait till the next model comes out if you decide to go for the Lux.

TUFF IFS LUX

The navara has more room in it than the Lux, front and back, but having talked to a few people reliability of the Nav comes into question

You've got to be kidding.....the current shape navara has got to have the smallest rear seats than any other ute on the market......yes, the front I admit is more roomier for the driver but the rear seats are very pitiful.

oznog05

Hi all,

As it will be use for work, will it be getting any of the goodies that us 4wder like to add on.

I have been looking at the two (Love the duel cabs) Navara's are a little cheaper so that mean you have a bit left over to add on so mods. But Hilux's are heaps cooler!...he he

Hope the new Hilux doesn't have the terrible head lights like the Prado's and Cruziers have!

Will be interesting to see what you get!

Pure Yobbo

Towing capacity is different between the two - The Navara can do 3tonne and the Hilux is restricted to 2.3 tone or something like that.

That is what made our decision that and price ( I understand price wasn't a concern for you)

Big Matt

That is what made our decision that and price ( I understand price wasn't a concern for you)

Its not that price isnt a concern, its more that the SR5 and the ST-X cost about the same anyway (ST-X a little more than the SR5)

As for room, we drove both and had 3 people in it and the comment was that there was more room in the back of the navara than the Lux, i couldnt dispute it as i didnt sit in the back and never will so either way im not concerned

To answer the "Goodies" question, either one will get a front bar rear bar with step snorkle and long range / 2nd tank. Yes there work cars, but we use them for wheeling a bit and long trips so why not add the extras :)

Navarian

Probably the most disappointing thing about the diesel D40 is turbo lag.The turbo doesn't start working well until around 1800 rpm which unless you have an auto can make hill starts while towing a problem.You have to over rev to get going.
Doesn't seem to be much of a problem in low range though,i reckon they have great low range gearing.
The auto's seem to chew through front rotors and pads,the rear brakes have a load sensing valve which makes them more effective if you are carrying a load but when empty the fronts are doing all the work.You can adjust this valve to fool the rear brakes to work harder.
Other than that,155000 kms and she still goes like a train.

Navarian

You could order a new v6 diesel D40,due on our shores at the end of the month if you have a spare $63000. :eek:

jimngail

hope you went lux

witch way did you go i got 2010 stx done 1/2 mil keys in 1crusers and 1 hilux had more trouble in 50,000 ks than in 1 mil