Hilux sfa diff bracing and birfield/cv joint recommendations

SFA hilux

Hi all,
I have a bent front diff, passenger wheel leans out slighly at the top. I think it’s bent at the swivel ball
It’s been like that since I’ve had the vehicle. Was stock and owned by an older man. I don’t believe he used it as a 4wd, but I do think he may of had an accident or slid into a gutter or something like that.
I have a spare diff housing, I’m not sure how to check it for straight without putting it together and installing it in my vehicle.
Im wondering if I should be doing some bracing? Even just on the swivel ball?
or am I better to just leave it alone.
anyone have any experience?
i do a bit of harder stuff but I’m only running 31s and I have some mechanical sympathy.
Also my birfield joint/ cv is on its way out. Should I go oem or try and get something stronger? If so what?
thanks.

OneHilux

I just rebuilt the swivel hubs on my sfa hilux last weekend, from what I learnt from doing it must have been one god almighty impact to bend the axle housing!! I would disassemble the swivel hub on the side you notice the lean. Perhaps a knuckle bearing has collapsed? They would have to be collapsed or missing to allow the wheel to lean inwards. Just a thought :)

Lost1?

I can't recall a hilux bending a solid front axle without extreme abuse. I would rebuild the stock axle and bolt it in.

Petunia

I would be inclined to investigate the thingy watchamacallits bearings and shims marked in the attached? first before worrying about bracing? heat and all that you may just end up twice as bad?

SFA.JPG

SFA hilux

I just rebuilt the swivel hubs on my sfa hilux last weekend, from what I learnt from doing it must have been one god almighty impact to bend the axle housing!! I would disassemble the swivel hub on the side you notice the lean. Perhaps a knuckle bearing has collapsed? They would have to be collapsed or missing to allow the wheel to lean inwards. Just a thought :)
I noticed the lean when I got two years ago and being an old car I rebuilt the whole swivel hubs anyway.
Everything was ok. Just the seals gone.
so it’s all been rebuilt and definitely has a lean. I can’t see it bending anything in the actual knuckle.

SFA hilux

I would be inclined to investigate the thingy watchamacallits bearings and shims marked in the attached? first before worrying about bracing? heat and all that you may just end up twice as bad?

View attachment 71979
Yes that’s exactly why I am not sure about bracing and would only do it if it really needs it.
almost wondering about bracing the bent diff and doing it in a way that would possibly bend it in the opposite direction to straighten it? Before bothering to sand blast and paint the spare diff and completely rebuild it?

Petunia

almost wondering about bracing the bent diff and doing it in a way that would possibly bend it in the opposite direction to straighten it?
the question is ''how long is a piece of string?" the correct answer is ''as long as it is''

you can not possibly guage how much of any possible method to apply to possibly straighten it
if you are convinced it is bent, huck it in the bin

SFA hilux

the question is ''how long is a piece of string?" the correct answer is ''as long as it is''

you can not possibly guage how much of any possible method to apply to possibly straighten it
if you are convinced it is bent, huck it in the bin
Yeh I think your onto it.