Hilux Rugged X

wattas

Recently purchased a Hilux Rugged X with the understanding from the dealership that the bull bar was winch compatible. After visiting ARB last week, I discovered that this was not 100% the case. Yes, it's winch compatible, but only to the genuine Toyota parts. You need to purchase a cradle that fits in the bull bar and then purchase the winch to fit it. The difference is nearly $3000. Not really very impressed to be honest.

Don't get me wrong, the Hilux is absolutely beautiful to drive and worth every cent.

Has anyone had any luck fitting a winch to the Rugged X without going through Toyota?

Tink

Saw an X the other day, looked great. Congrats.
I agree with Luke, should be able to install whatever winch you want once you buy the cradle. Toyota are not the only ones who sell winch compatible bars without the winch cradle. Heck most genuine bars won’t even accept a winch so you are ahead there already. Good luck and keep us informed.
Tink

wattas

So an update on the winch situation, still no answer from anyone outside Toyota. Have also come up against a second problem, adding an aerial for the UHF is complicated as the smaller bull bar doesn't have adequate room to attache the aerial to. I have removed the sports bar and added a canopy and that removes Toyota's idea of an aerial mounting spot. Anyone got any ideas for either problem?

dabbler

So an update on the winch situation, still no answer from anyone outside Toyota. Have also come up against a second problem, adding an aerial for the UHF is complicated as the smaller bull bar doesn't have adequate room to attache the aerial to. I have removed the sports bar and added a canopy and that removes Toyota's idea of an aerial mounting spot. Anyone got any ideas for either problem?
Have you looked at different mounts ? There are dozens of variations on antenna mount, many brackets are suited to different bar sizes. GME show about 30 on their website.

Not perfect positioning but an bracket mount for the bonnet will always work.

Hi Wattas
Here is a picture of where my auto electrician put mine it is on a bit of an angle but it's not to bad I'm happy.
And I here ya in regards to the winch a bit disappointing on Toyota's behalf.

Attachments

Hey Wattas,

You can fit any winch to the Toyota winch cradle.

I have a domin8r xtreme (4wd Supacentre) fitted to my rugged X.

With regards to antenna mounting, I am using the GME fender bracket which hasn't failed me yet, although it does seem flimsy when off road.

Hope this helps.