hilux brake upgrade part 1

typhoeus

well, the brakes were getting to the point where you would have to stand on them to get anywhere near locking them up, and after aan inspection, found the discs were worn past minimum thickness. So I figured if I'm going to replace discs, might as well see if I can fit bigger/ better brakes. My RZN169R came with20mm x 289mm front discs an sw12 callipers. As you may know, a common upgrade is to fit surf brake parts which bolt up to the hilux hubs & stub axles. After some careful checking, I ordered a set of surf discs, which are 25mm x 291mm

Attachments

• 20160218_180005.jpg
    20160218_180005.jpg
    428.3 KB · Views: 281

typhoeus

Then I sources a set of s13wb callipers from up gosford way, These calipers have the 89mm or so bolt spacing to suit the hilux but have 45.3 mm pistons like early landcruisers. (The sw12 calipers have smaller pistons.) As you can see, they weren't in the best condition, but for $55 for the pair, I was happy to grab them at that price, and recondition them
20160218_180859.jpg
20160218_181142.jpg
20160218_181310.jpg

Last edited:

typhoeus

So the last couple of days after work has been spend cleaning up the calipers fitting a seal kit and prettying them up a bit
20160219_201426.jpg

typhoeus

Now, there are 2 types of pads which fit this caliper, and I read on other forums that one type overlaps the disc by 5mm and causes a problem because this reduces the swept area in contact with the disc, The correct ones are FDB1502. (ferodo catalogue) whereas the FDB1504 are for the landcruiser caliper. The metal backing plate is identical, the difference is in the positioning of the pad material. You might be thinking why didn't I just put larger diameter discs on, well, that would mean fitting bigger wheels to fit over the discs and callipers, so I didn't want to go down that road.
Anyway, tomorrow ill fit up the new rotors, and the reco calipers and see how much difference it made!

typhoeus

So, today I jacked her up & started, here's the original brakes, looking a little worse for wear
20160220_101403.jpg
20160220_101634.jpg

typhoeus

The discs are held on with6 bolts which I expected to be tight to get off, but it came apart quite easily, and the new discs fitted straight on
20160220_142535.jpg

typhoeus

Free wheeling hubs. . one gave me trouble ( something had to go wrong ) the spring which holds the locking gear got bent up somehow, but I carefully bent it back into shape and all was good
20160220_152433.jpg

typhoeus

So, all back together and a quick test run later and the brakes are definitely better, I expect them to improve even more when they bed in a bit. I am also thinking about fitting a double diaphragm booster as well later . And to finish the job, The sticker on the back window. . .!
20160220_183026.jpg

Arch

Hmmm, I think I've just found my next upgrade! Great article @typhoeus, thanks.
P.S. I don't suppose you recall the part number of the pads?

Last edited:

typhoeus

Hmmm, I think I've just found my next upgrade! Great article @typhoeus, thanks.
P.S. I don't suppose you recall the part number of the pads?
I can't remember , that was 5 years ago, but further up I mentioned FDB1502,so that's likely the part number..