Hid Lights

cptmud

Looking at upgrading the headlights in the cruiser to hid, as on low beam they are shit. there are 2 types that i can see to replace the hi/lo H4 beam. There is a hid low halogen hi and there is a hid low/high mechanical. Has anyone had any experience with them or know what they are talking about when they say mechanical ????

Brisey

I have just bought a HID set for the Jeep & had a look through the info & nothing mentioned in there so I will have a guess at this.

Mechanical could mean it has 2 globes in the lamp assembly ie separate globes for low & high beams. The non mechanical could mean only 1 globe in the lamp assembly like mine is & the current is limited through the ballast for low beam.

Cheers

Bri

Croozer

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
I just put HID's on our Patrol and the high beam is amazing. But your right the standard light seems a bit weak. Im sussing it out at the moment I think the mech side they talk about looks like the two types of balist's.
Will do a bit more research later this week.

croozza

there is a kit out that will replace your H4 bulbs for lo/hi beam. BUT you will have to buy 2 kits for your 80, due to the quad light set up. The kit is from the guys from HANSA Lighting. You would be looking at around $400 per kit. It may be better to buy a set of HID spots.

Brisey

We just had a spot light presentation from Britex at our 4x4 club meeting tonight & I found out what the mechanical type of HID lights are. This type has 1 brightness of the light & a solenoid at the back of the globe that moves it forward or back to change the focal point in the reflector changing the amount of light being projected.

Cheers

Bri

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Checked with Qld Transport on the laws for HID. Spotlights are ok to upgrade as long the bulbs are the same type (e.g. H3 helogen to H3 HID). For HID for your main lights, they need to be ADR51 or ECE37 compliant

dtpitts

Hid

I had a different result from Qld Transport, not ok to put HID in to a vehicle that did not come out with them as a standar option ??:confused::)
Spot lights however Jaycar do a conversion for Spots that work well for 3000 lumens.:)
Hello I have just registered.

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hello dtpitts welcome to the forum. The understanding are the ho/lo lights must be the same as the standard lamp design. So H4 is the norm for most 4x4's but the problem is presently no HID H4 exist that past the ECE37 and/or ADR51 standards. So if the vehicle is made with HID lights that complies to the manufacturing standard even if they don't past the ECE37 and/or ADR51 standards. I hope to talk with Narva or Philips about it in the week. The person to talk to is Michael in the Qld transport area.

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
I talked to Narva and they said what the Qld transport guy may have it wrong and only vehicle that have HID hi/lo can use them. But he is interested in the comment and was following it up. He also mentioned that no hi/lo bulbs like the H4 have the ECE37 or ADR51 approval from any bulb supplier, so it would be illegal to upgrade your primary lights.

MGWREF

If you want after market HID headlights your lights must be fitted with AUTOMATIC LEVELING DEVICE (not manual) AND WASHERS. That's in the ADR. When they are out of aim on a loaded vehicle, they BLIND YOU!!

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
That correct in you main lights but the Qld transport guy was not very knowledgeable on the subject. Your aux lighting like spot lights are ok to upgrade.

MGWREF

Sorry may not have been to clear re headlight. Yes Hi Lo incorporated headlight are the illegal ones for HID instillation ie GQ and GU patrol for example. 80 series landcruiser,for example can have HID in the seperate high beam (the inner light). So lighting systems like the GQ and GU, NO. Systems like the 80 series Landcruiser YES on inner high beam. I hope one day they,become legal for all applicatons, as they are a brilliant light. However one out of aim or left on high beam WILL be annoying.

crushaah

If you want after market HID headlights your lights must be fitted with AUTOMATIC LEVELING DEVICE (not manual) AND WASHERS. That's in the ADR. When they are out of aim on a loaded vehicle, they BLIND YOU!!
They are bad enough even on ADR compliant factory ones! :mad:

croozza

The only reason you get blinded by lights is when either they are not adjusted correctly, (with HID you need to have then adjusted correctly or they are pointless) or what is coming out on the newer cars now, and that is the headlights wrap around the front of the vehicle, which in turn allows more light out to the sides of the vehicle, so you get the light in your eyes longer than before, just look at the cars from only 5 yrs ago, they seem to be fine, but the new ones are bad.