Change background image

hi new member about to purchase a 4x4

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChRiS32, Aug 11, 2018.

1. ChRiS32

ChRiS32 New Member

about to purchase a 4x4 for the family budget of around 20k any help would be great

2. billolga

billolga 4x4 Earth Contributer

Welcome to the Forum.
    We can't help you much until you tell us a bit more about yourself (Single - family - touring etc)

3. Chatty

Chatty Well-Known Member

4. ChRiS32

ChRiS32 New Member

That would deffintly help haha well im married with 4 kids 2 teenagers and 2 younger so will need 7 seats something that has power options all around the car for kids phones basically want a all rounder that we can go awya on the weekend or just for the wife to use during the week for kids needs to be auto thanks for your help

5. ChRiS32

ChRiS32 New Member

Very nice car will need a 7 seater

6. Chatty

Chatty Well-Known Member

For seven seats you're basically limiting yourself to a Pajero (third row seats aren't great), Prado (third row seats better, but not fantastic), Landcruiser or Disco. The Cruiser and Disco have pretty good third row seats, but on a 20k budget you're going to be looking at a seriously older / high mileage vehicle. That being the case I would be careful of the Disco as high mileage / older examples are normally a PITA to keep on the road.
    Something to keep in mind with all of these is that rear cargo space is small to non-existent with the third row seats down - the Pajero and Prado have virtually no storage, the Cruiser is better and the Disco is likely the best of the crowd.
    Having said that, I have a friend (and my boss) who owns a late model Disco (2015 I think) and he can't fit enough stuff in his for him, wife and four kids for a weekend away. In other words, you're likely going to need a roof rack too (he opted for a camper trailer).

Power "all around the car" is something you will struggle with. Anything with 7 seats in your budget is likely to be so old that it will have one or maybe two cigarette lighter outlets. Long story short, if you want power everywhere then you will likely have to wire it up yourself - get used to pulling trims off, breaking clips and otherwise swearing...

Can I ask how old the teenagers are? The reason I ask is that I know a lot of people who have bought seven seaters because they had teenagers - as soon as the kids got to around 15 or 16, they refused to go away with mum and dad because it wasn't cool. You then have a seven seater that only uses four seats...

BTW - the Pajero is an auto...

callmejoe and Albynsw like this.
  7. Zamunda

Zamunda Well-Known Member

Hi @ChRiS32 Welcome to the forum.

We have no kids, therefore, have always built our fourbies to suit just the two of us only. So I am not qualified to answer your question.
    @Chatty has pretty much summed it up quite well.

Wishing you well in searching for that new family addition.

8. 2002GU3

2002GU3 Well-Known Member

welcome to earth mate, you could also throw a Patrol and a Jackeroo into the mix, they both have 7 seaters, looks as though you have some research to do. good luck with whichever way you go.

9. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

Paj rear seats better than a Disco? Better you go and have a look at a Disco 3 set up before deciding that.
    I am biased without question but that comes with years of LR ownership , have a good read on Aulro and ask some questions if you want more info .
    Go and test drive them all before you decide whats best and suits your needs
    Ask 5 people and you will get 5 different answers
    And for the record Disco 3 and 4 are 8 seats

10. Chatty

Chatty Well-Known Member

Hey, down big fella. Read it again - I said the Paj third row seats aren't great, with the Prado only slightly better.
    I know they say it's an 8 seater - but have you ever tried the third row with three people? Been there, done that...

11. ChRiS32

ChRiS32 New Member

Thanks mate there 13 and 14 so still a few years of needing 7 seater

12. ChRiS32

ChRiS32 New Member

T
    Thanks ive had a petrol jackaroo before and ive had a 80 series i like the land cruiser as its spacious and a good all round 4x4 but everything in my price range is high ks i do like the look of the patrols ive seen a few 2010 and up with 180ks for 17 to 20k so i will be gokng and checking some out with the wife on sat ill let you no how i go

13. ChRiS32

ChRiS32 New Member

Thanks dont really like the look of them and most probably way out of my price range

14. Choook

Choook Well-Known Member

Colly18 likes this.
  15. smitty_r51

smitty_r51 Well-Known Member

You have the pathfinder as well that you can actually get the kids in the third row. Any of them are going to have no space for luggage once you are all in

16. ChRiS32

ChRiS32 New Member

Wow that one isnt to bad whats the fuel like being petrol

17. Colly18

Colly18 Active Member

I like the idea of a Disco 3, but I am a little biased having owned a Discovery 1 V8. There's nothing light about a Discovery 3 and a petrol V6 is going to be heavy on fuel compared to a diesel. But just look at what an otherwise capable, large and luxurious 4WD you get for your money. Personally I would put one on my shortlist, but would be looking for a dual fuel (LPG/petrol) one, if I could find one. Alternatively, do your sums and work out how much extra you will be up for in fuel costs compared to a diesel. An extra grand or two a year in fuel cost may be worth it, especially when you consider that diesel engines can be/are generally considered more expensive to maintain and repair.

Choook likes this.
  18. Choook

Choook Well-Known Member

The ad doesn't say if it is a V6 or V8 so....
    I think the V6 is generally found to be a ummmm...a little gutless. Fuel for the V6 is about the 15's/100km ... I think but as you can see from my profile pic my Land Rover is a bit older than what you are looking for and is a diesel, so I am a little biased as well. A D3 TDV6 in that price range will most likely have higher kms.
    Don't discount anything too quickly, like @discomatt said go test drive them all if you can, one will suit most of you needs but only you can decide that.

19. ChRiS32

ChRiS32 New Member

We are going to look at a few cars Saturday atleast now ive got a opened mind with a few diffrent cars thanls

20. Choook

Choook Well-Known Member

Just had a quick look at AULRO and the concensus there with D3 V6 petrol owners seems to be 10-12s highway, 14-16s around town and 20+ in sand. The V8 (if you can find one) can run similar figures to the V6 from what I have read. Also depends how much slipper you give it.