Hi Lift Jack Question????

shinysideUP

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
What weight limit should I be looking for in a Hi Lift Jack? I'm looking at one on E-bay at the moment and it's rated at 1000kg. I Have seen some that are higher but what is sufficient to lift a fully loaded GU Patrol? Never had one before so dont know much about them other than they can be a tad dangerous if used incorrectly.
Thank in advance, Andrew.

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
Mines A 1500kg ORIGINAL "KANGAjACK" and it looks SCARY sometimes!!! Big bends and flex. So get a good quality brand name one!!!! Cheap light weight one's don't look scary, they just BREAK!!!! And THAT could be just disaterous!!

Mongrel Lux

Ya far better off with a 4 T bottle jack, a jack plate & a spade or long handled shovel. Yes Hi Lift jacks are dangerous, very limited in their use, offten hard to lower back down, can damage pannels, they're heavy cumbersome. In shot they are a PITA. I hate the bloody things.

A 4 T bottle jack is much cheaper, smaller, lighter, safer. My opinion Andrew, don't waist ya $$$ on a useless peice of heavy metal, go the much safer option of a 4T Hydrolic Bottle Jack instead. Or an exhause jack is another safe option, but they're very bulky.

Mal

Last edited:

jack48

Shall second that Mal, or even the standard jack is safer with a block of wood, you might get dirty putting it under, but at least you are safer !!!!

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
Ya far better off with a 4 T bottle jack, a jack plate & a spade or long handled shovel. Yes Hi Lift jacks are dangerous, very limited in their use, offten hard to lower back down, can damage pannels, they're heavy cumbersome. In shot they are a PITA. I hate the bloody things.

A 4 T bottle jack is much cheaper, smaller, lighter, safer. My opinion Andrew, don't waist ya $$$ on a useless peice of heavy metal, go the much safer option of a 4T Hydrolic Bottle Jack instead.

Mal

Sometimes there are things that a bottle jack just won't do. I have both for that reason. Treat a High lift with the respect it deserves and it will serve you well.

I love em! Good ones that is!

jack48

Sometimes there are things that a bottle jack just won't do. I have both for that reason. Treat a High lift with the respect it deserves and it will serve you well.

I love em! Good ones that is!

Also carry 2 jacks, standard and a hydraulic high lift, caravan type, lifts as high as a standard high lift nearly, at least you have some sort of control :D:D

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
Also carry 2 jacks, standard and a hydraulic high lift, caravan type, lifts as high as a standard high lift nearly, at least you have some sort of control :D:D

Only cos you don't have enough weight or HEIGHT behind ya to use a highlift! :rolleyes:

Hi lift jacks have there purpose - can work well on leaf sprung 4x4s nut fully loaded coil spring 4x4s - you will never safely ge tthe wheels off the ground read ( SAFELY ) go with wha tmal and jack said .
I have a hi lift jack ,I carry it when im in my ute an all leaf GQ .

shinysideUP

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member

A 4 T bottle jack is much cheaper, smaller, lighter, safer. My opinion Andrew, don't waist ya $$$ on a useless peice of heavy metal, go the much safer option of a 4T Hydrolic Bottle Jack instead. Or an exhause jack is another safe option, but they're very bulky.

Mal

Have been avoiding getting one for that reason. I do carry a bottle jack. But when you roll a tyre off a rim and your up to your arse in mud, bottle jacks aren't very appealing. Happened to me on the last Tallarook trip. I borrowed Matt's (Plastered) Hi Lift to change the tyre. Was pretty easy, and less messy than a bottle jack would have been. (that's not to say I'm scared of a little mud). ;)

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
Using a highlift is fine so long as ya do it right. Right tool for the right job.

If you use a 12 inch Shifter to undo a rusty M10 bolt, your a dill. Same goes for using a highlift on a steep hill for eg.

jack48

Hey. Have put on 3kg since in Qld, can I now use my hydraulic jack ???? :)

Seriously, would not use a high lift, dangerous units :eek::eek:

They lock on etc and kick back, lift me off the ground :mad::mad:

Now you haven't answered the PM ???????

tankbloke

4x4 Earth Contributer
I agree the 1500kg is a better option, but Mals suggestion of an exhaust jack is a good one.
Safe, and more practical in a lot of situations, as mentioned bulky, but I really would not be without mine.

Touring4x4

I would only get the genuine HiLift brand and their accessories.

The Lift Mate attachment that hooks onto the wheel works really well, as does the winching kit.

For tyre changing I would only use the bottle jack but the HiLift is a pretty useful tool offroad, including its use as a spreader or a clamp.

tropey

I've only used my hilift a hand full of times... but wouldn't be without. There are times when they are invaluable.