Hi folks,

millsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
Just started the 4x4 thing about three months ago. Bought an old Patrol - a bit on the hasty side as it happens as it burns a heap of oil! But have fallen for it as with a few of my other 'old girls' over the years! Been pretty keen to get out on the back roads and have knocked up 10,000 km in the last 12 weeks.
Looking forward to chatting with you and learning more about 4x4 driving and repairs. Front drive line making some horrible noises now - clunk, clunk . . . in 4x4 mode ( after crawling over the tracks in the Flinders on Anzac weekend, so now have to decide whether to rebuild the motor first, or work out what's wrong with the drive system.
Car's on a new LPG system, so at least its cheap to run!
Catch you on the other threads!

goldrush

Welcome to the forum Millsy. Think of 4x4's as women.... They all make horrible noises until you throw enough money at them. Then the noise goes away.... for a while.

Cheers

Cliff

BUSHNUT

Check out your driveline arenas first, that is where you can spend a lot of dough, motors generally can be picked up reasonably cheap for the old MQ , nissan heads have been on the soft side when it comes to LPG, cost me about $2,700 to refurbish mine on my old GQ, good idea to run a valve saver lube system on anything running on GAS.

Bushnut

millsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
Thanks for that. Yeah, its got the flash-lube kit fitted already. I did have fun doing up my old Torana motor a few years ago, and it went a whole lot further than any fully reconditioned motor I bought - beginners luck maybe! ( Though I must admit they were for the old EK Holden - no oil filter and only 5 main bearings! ) The 'new' Torana motor was still purring along after 120ks when my son wrote the old girl off - no injuries luckily.
I found some info on the Net about how nicely L28 motors can be to reconditioned. Mine has only done 235K now, and apparently the bores are very tough and should not need re-boring, and they also have very well machined crankshafts that last forever.
I can see the cylinder head could be a problem, but depending how the valves/seats look I might just fit some new stem seals and bolt it back on as is for now. The car goes very nicely in 2 wheel drive so I might just stick to the roads for a while, and save the off-road stuff for later when I have sorted out the 4x4 problem. Cheers, John.

Mavman89

hey mate the bores in those motors should reach until 500,000 without needing a rebuild if looked after. my patrol has got 398,000 on it and it turns key no accelerator or choke even in cold and just idles no smoke. good old girl.
cheers Josh

millsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
Thanks Josh. Is yours a petrol or diesel - mines lpg/petrol? I reckon you must have been changing that oil very regularly! Its all about keeping the oil in good condition I believe. Well done! I have been feeding mine a shandy of about 40% thick ( 30/70 ) oil with 60% standard ( 20/50 ) oil. But now I am getting a bit fed up with the smoke and consumption rate, so I am going to try straight 30/70. I hope that gives me a little more fun time in the bush before I bite the bullet and rebuild. John

Last edited:

vossy

Welcome Millsy!
I can still remember the days of the old MQ patrol. I had a 3.3ltr Diesel (non turbo) went everywhere but slowly.
Great old truck.
Hope yours doesnt give you too much grief.

Cheers Vossy.

millsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
Thanks Vossy. There seems to be still a bit of a following for them, especially it seems the short wheel base model. It looks pretty rugged - no frills, business like. But yeah, a bit of a gamble cause it is 26 years old! But most things still work well, or can be made to do so with not too much effort. Must admit it took a while to put a 'new' lower hinge on the drivers side door - had to take the door off, the bull bar to get to some screws to remove the fender, before I could get the ringy on to the two bolts hidden just inside the fender! All good fun! Have also had to put some more bits of rubber around the tailgate area to stop fumes being sucked in, and various others. They will keep coming I am sure, but since I am a pen pusher/keyboard worker through the day, I look forward to playing with my big 'meccano' toy after hours! Looks like you've got a quite newish fourby. All the best with yours, John.

Mavman89

hey millsy myne is a petrol goes fairly well got plenty of gusto.. the oil in myne i just changed having provlems with my carby it keeps flooding the crap out of the motor but ill sort her .

Squeeker

hay millsy this is a good truck . why i know is that i own one for about 6 years . just watch the oil & do not ofer ref her , fearther the clutch & the accelerator & remember it geting on in years, just take your time its not a sports car its a 4x4 old mate . squeek.just have a lot of fun & dont go on your bloody own .

millsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
Thanks Squeeker. Certainly having a lot fun driving the truck. Its a lot more interesting than my VR Commodore. The Commodore was great for a couple of years because it was a big step up in luxury compared to the 83 VH Commodore - quiet, powerful, computer controlled everything! But after a while - BORING - just like sitting in a lounge chair in a quiet room!. The 4 speed manual gearbox with the long throw makes driving fun, the view is great from up high, and the fact that I can hit the rough roads without worrying about the gravel rash, boulders, etc is the icing on the cake. The old girl handles magnificently in the hills with its stiff leaf suspension, and the non-powered steering feels good too.
Am looking forward to going up to Innaminka and the Coopers Creek region, and also to Birdsville -Andamooka, but have to get my head around what happens if the motor blows up so far North of anywhere! Your probably right about finding some-one else to go with for a back up. But probably will just have to fix the motor up with new rings etc, first rather than take the chance! All the best, John.

millsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hi Navman89. Good luck with your carby problem. It wouldn't just be an air leak in the carby would it. Have had that in the Torana carby because the three sections could easily work lose as there were only two bolts holding two of them together and they vibrate loose easily. An air leak in the carby really causes problems for the LPG but I am not sure how critical it would be for straight petrol. If there was a leak it might let the petrol fumes out through it, and you think you can smell excessive fuel from a flooding problem! Or, have you checked or changed the needle valve on the float in the resevoir. I reckon I had that once. If I remember correctly they have a neoprene tip to cut the petrol off when the resevoir is full. After a certain time the tip can develop a groove where it seats and then its time for a new one Just a thought. John.

Last edited:

Tats

Just started the 4x4 thing about three months ago. Bought an old Patrol - a bit on the hasty side as it happens as it burns a heap of oil! But have fallen for it as with a few of my other 'old girls' over the years! Been pretty keen to get out on the back roads and have knocked up 10,000 km in the last 12 weeks.
Looking forward to chatting with you and learning more about 4x4 driving and repairs. Front drive line making some horrible noises now - clunk, clunk . . . in 4x4 mode ( after crawling over the tracks in the Flinders on Anzac weekend, so now have to decide whether to rebuild the motor first, or work out what's wrong with the drive system.
Car's on a new LPG system, so at least its cheap to run!
Catch you on the other threads!
Hi Millsy, I had one of the first of ten diesel MQs to come to Oz in 1980. Modified the suspension at a spring place at Lidcombe - fantastic results. It could eat Wirraba Ridge in both directions. Had a brain drain and sold it for a Rangie (one of two) - big mistake. Datsuns (now Nissans) are bulletproof. Great choice of a good car. Tats